Old 13-07-2008, 01:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Don't mention the war.......

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...
Hornets, while bigger than wasps, are relatively gentle.

They prey on honeybees though.

Old 13-07-2008, 11:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gordon H" wrote in message
In message , Mary Fisher
writes

But that acid/alkali theory is very old hat. Sorry. Bee and wasp stings
are
different but it's nothing to do with the pH. They are both made up of
very
complext proteins.

Mary

I can never remember which is supposed to be acid and which alkali, so I
always have antihistamine in my first aid kit, which is always in my
rucksack.

That's more effective if it's taken half an hour before you get stung :-)

Mary

Old 13-07-2008, 11:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...
Hornets, while bigger than wasps, are relatively gentle.

They prey on honeybees though.

Can do but mostly they're not a real problem. All social wsps can p[rey on
honeybees, occasionally they'll cause a colony to be unsustainable but it's
not common..

Mary

Old 13-07-2008, 11:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gordon H" wrote in message

Seriously though, when I'm asked that question (which I am, very often) I
sometimes respond, "What is the use of a human?"
Mary

Well, they either fertilise the land (eventually), or in my case I will be
added to the gravel paths along my favourite local hill walk, which is
where my wife's ashes were spread.
Helps to maintain the path.
--

Why do humans need to fertilise the land, if they're not taking its produce?

This could go on and on :-)

Mary

Old 13-07-2008, 11:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in message
k...

Do they pollinate?

Yes. Often, especially in the autumn.

Tell me more.

Mary

Old 13-07-2008, 12:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"Gordon H" wrote in message

Seriously though, when I'm asked that question (which I am, very often) I
sometimes respond, "What is the use of a human?"
Mary

Well, they either fertilise the land (eventually), or in my case I will be
added to the gravel paths along my favourite local hill walk, which is
where my wife's ashes were spread.
Helps to maintain the path.
--

Why do humans need to fertilise the land, if they're not taking its produce?

There *are* some unselfish humans around...
Pushing up daisies is the best thing some folk achieve.

This could go on and on :-)

Until one of us proves s/he is not immortal.
--
Gordon H
Old 13-07-2008, 12:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"Gordon H" wrote in message

I can never remember which is supposed to be acid and which alkali, so I
always have antihistamine in my first aid kit, which is always in my
rucksack.

That's more effective if it's taken half an hour before you get stung :-)

Mary

Yes, and before you grab that nettle hiding in a clump of Indian Balsam.
BTDT.
--
Gordon H
Old 13-07-2008, 12:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gordon H" wrote in message
In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"Gordon H" wrote in message

I can never remember which is supposed to be acid and which alkali, so I
always have antihistamine in my first aid kit, which is always in my
rucksack.

That's more effective if it's taken half an hour before you get stung :-)

Mary

Yes, and before you grab that nettle hiding in a clump of Indian Balsam.
BTDT.

I've nver heard of using aPiriton to treat nettle stings. You need a dock
leaf :-)

Mary

Old 13-07-2008, 12:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gordon H" wrote in message
In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"Gordon H" wrote in message

Seriously though, when I'm asked that question (which I am, very often)
sometimes respond, "What is the use of a human?"
Mary

Well, they either fertilise the land (eventually), or in my case I will
be
added to the gravel paths along my favourite local hill walk, which is
where my wife's ashes were spread.
Helps to maintain the path.
--

Why do humans need to fertilise the land, if they're not taking its
produce?

There *are* some unselfish humans around...
Pushing up daisies is the best thing some folk achieve.

This could go on and on :-)

Until one of us proves s/he is not immortal.

Prepare for a long haul :-)

Mary
--
Gordon H

Old 13-07-2008, 07:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"Gordon H" wrote

Yes, and before you grab that nettle hiding in a clump of Indian Balsam.
BTDT.

I've nver heard of using aPiriton to treat nettle stings. You need a dock
leaf :-)
Mary

I know, but I was referring to antihistamine cream rather than Piriton
tablets!
--
Gordon H

Old 13-07-2008, 07:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Mary Fisher writes

I've nver heard of using aPiriton to treat nettle stings. You need a dock
leaf :-)

At one time I was on daily antihistamine for a medical condition. Nettle
stings were much less of a problem during that time.

I don't think dock does anything - it's simply the rubbing that helps.
Gave up docks long ago.
--
Kay
Old 13-07-2008, 07:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message
Mary Fisher writes

I've nver heard of using aPiriton to treat nettle stings. You need a dock
leaf :-)

At one time I was on daily antihistamine for a medical condition. Nettle
stings were much less of a problem during that time.

I don't think dock does anything - it's simply the rubbing that helps.

Probably - and the cooling :-)

My Dad explained to me about dock leaves, he said that there were always
dock leaves growing near nettles so that you could treat the stings.

Wise man, my Dad, he knew how to convince little girls :-)

Gave up docks long ago.

Never been in one :-)

Well, only the maritime type.

Mary

Old 13-07-2008, 08:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote:

I don't think dock does anything - it's simply the rubbing that helps.

I was always led to believe (possibly not based on fact) that nettle stings
were acid and dock leaf sap was alkali to an equal but opposite pH. Thus the
dock leaf neutralised the nettle sting.

Mel.

Old 13-07-2008, 09:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 13, 7:35 pm, K wrote:
Mary Fisher writes

I've nver heard of using aPiriton to treat nettle stings. You need a dock
leaf :-)

At one time I was on daily antihistamine for a medical condition. Nettle
stings were much less of a problem during that time.

I don't think dock does anything - it's simply the rubbing that helps.
Gave up docks long ago.
--
Kay

I think there is an astringent in them Kay that works, you have to
break the dock to extract the juice.

Judith
Old 13-07-2008, 09:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:
"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in message
k...

Do they pollinate?

Yes. Often, especially in the autumn.

Tell me more.

I've often seen wasps sticking their faces into late flowers - and, come
to think of it, earlier ones. The flowers of my Cotoneaster horizontalis
seem especially attractive to them.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig