Old 11-07-2008, 11:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Downy mildew on onions this year

I live in herefordshire and grow lots of onions on a well drained
limestone slope.For the last 20 years or so,I have grown the onions on
the same site,and although have lost a few plants with white rot,have
never had any problem with mildew-indeed most of the problem has been
that the soil has been too dry.However last year,which was a wet
summer,I had such a bad problem(with sets and transplants grown from
seed) that I pulled the onions very early to prevent the mildew going
into the bulbs and hence causing storage problems.
This year I have moved the onions to a different site-and planted the
sets much earlier(February 1st).This recent wet weather has brought in
mildew again.The sets are mainly fully grown and already falling
over(July 8th),but still have telltale signs of mildew on the
leaves.The transplants(set out at end of March)are beginning to bulb
up but also have mildew badly.I have sprayed all of the onions twice
now with a mixture of wettable sulphur (older books recommend flowers
of sulphur)and a copper oxychloride product(Fungex),and I will just
have to hope that this works to some extent.I had thought of using a
product containing mancozeb (Dithane 945),but the description on the
packet does not mention onions.
I am sure that many gardeners will be having problems with mildew.Does
anyone have a workable solution-perhaps spraying earlier,say in June
for example,before the mildew strikes.What do commercial growers use??
Or the organic gardeners??Also what is the best method for harvesting
to increase storage time??
Hope someone can help,as a bed of onions stricken with mildew is a
sorry site.
regards,Michael
P.s.I am not on or near an allotment site,and the only other gardener
growing vegetables is 400 yds away.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"michael" wrote in message
[...]

We get it every year now and resistance is futile, we find. We used to spray
early with Dithane but with little effect and of course now we wouldn't
contemplate chemicals. The onions still stay useable for a good time but the
odd few here and there have to be thrown out when found in a totally rotten
state. Thought this year might have been different but then it rained ...
and rained and there it was, as if by magic

--
Rowdens Reservoir Allotments Association
www.rraa.moonfruit.com

Digging potatoes in wet soil and downy mildew onions michael United Kingdom 5 14-07-2012 05:05 PM
Downy mildew on grapevines Sacha United Kingdom 9 23-11-2006 10:51 PM
Downy mildew? Andrew United Kingdom 0 08-07-2003 02:08 PM
Downy Mildew , Onions Drew & Sue United Kingdom 1 04-07-2003 11:32 PM
Downy mildew query CandL Australia 3 05-04-2003 06:35 AM