Old 04-07-2003, 08:20 PM
Drew & Sue

Default Downy Mildew , Onions

I have found out about a problem I had with my Onions , I sprayed them today
But how will my crop be affected , will they recover ?. The tips of leaves
had shrivelled
and mildew on all old leaves , new growth is fine . It only appeared after
the last week of rain.
Andy

Old 04-07-2003, 11:32 PM
Stephen Howard

On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 20:20:35 +0100, "Drew & Sue"
wrote:

I have found out about a problem I had with my Onions , I sprayed them today
But how will my crop be affected , will they recover ?. The tips of leaves
had shrivelled
and mildew on all old leaves , new growth is fine . It only appeared after
the last week of rain.

It's a nasty sod, is downy mildew. By the time you see it the damage
has been done.
I've had it on my onions a couple of times, and whilst I did manage to
get some sort of a crop it was pretty poor - the onions never seem to
recover in spite of there being fresh, uncontaminated new growth.

Mind you, I grow organically, so all I had to combat the mildew was
fresh wood ash - which seemed to help a little.
If you've used a chemical you might have better recovery.

Standard advice is not to grow any onions on the same spot for a few
years.

Just out of interest - what's the spacing of your onions? I grow mine
on a deep bed, so they're quite close together. I've often wondered
whether this might be a contributory factor.

Regards, and commiserations,

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk

Digging potatoes in wet soil and downy mildew onions michael United Kingdom 5 14-07-2012 05:05 PM
Downy mildew on onions this year michael United Kingdom 1 11-07-2008 06:10 PM
Downy mildew on grapevines Sacha United Kingdom 9 23-11-2006 10:51 PM
Downy mildew? Andrew United Kingdom 0 08-07-2003 02:08 PM
Downy mildew query CandL Australia 3 05-04-2003 06:35 AM