Old 12-07-2008, 08:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Fucshias Over Winter

Hi
This year, I have some lovely fucshias in pots, which I would like to keep
over winter. They are not hardy, so I would need to bring them inside.
This may be a stupid question, but if i do bring them in, do they still need
to be somewhere light, or could I just put them in the garage? Would I need
to water them, or could I just leave them until next spring?

Thanks,
Dorothy

Old 12-07-2008, 08:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dorry" wrote in message
Hi
This year, I have some lovely fucshias in pots, which I would like to

keep
over winter. They are not hardy, so I would need to bring them

inside.
This may be a stupid question, but if i do bring them in, do they

still need
to be somewhere light, or could I just put them in the garage? Would

I need
to water them, or could I just leave them until next spring?

Thanks,
Dorothy

Dorothy,
There is much written about 'fuchsia winter care' in Google, but I think
that this site tells you all you need to know.
http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art36512.asp

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Dorry" contains these words:

This year, I have some lovely fucshias in pots, which I would like to keep
over winter. They are not hardy, so I would need to bring them inside.
This may be a stupid question, but if i do bring them in, do they
still need
to be somewhere light, or could I just put them in the garage? Would
I need
to water them, or could I just leave them until next spring?

I leave them in an unheated thingy which the previous inhabitants called
'the conservatory', but even the estate agent balked at that
description. It amounts to a sort-of long porch built on the end of the
house, accessed by the back door and another to the outside world.

The soil usually dries out, and then I might remember to water the pots.
If I do remember to water them, they survive.

The berries, BTW, make a fairly decent jelly, and can be used to help
poorly-setting jams and jellies to the proper consistency.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 13-07-2008, 09:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 20:26:15 +0100, "Emrys Davies"
wrote:

"Dorry" wrote in message
Hi
This year, I have some lovely fucshias in pots, which I would like to

keep
over winter. They are not hardy, so I would need to bring them

inside.
This may be a stupid question, but if i do bring them in, do they

still need
to be somewhere light, or could I just put them in the garage? Would

I need
to water them, or could I just leave them until next spring?

Thanks,
Dorothy

I have the same problem. No greenhouse and nowhere to put them. For
the last few years they have spent the winters in my garage which has
no light. I cut them back quite hard in the autumn and put the pots in
the garage. They need to be quite dry. In the early part of the year
they send out white shoots and I then bring them up to the house where
they spend some time in by night and out by day, depending on
weather.The white shoots will turn green. If they have got too long I
cut back again.
It's my only way of dealing with them, but it works for me.

Pam in Bristol
Old 13-07-2008, 01:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 09:10:12 +0100, Pam Moore
wrote:

I have the same problem. No greenhouse and nowhere to put them.

An old way of 'over wintering was to dig a big hole, bury, (after cutting back)
and cover to a depth of at least 6 inches, don't forget to mark so you can find
them in the spring.

Tried that and its works, but now I bury them in a large box of spent compost,
and leave that in a sheltered spot, easier and I don't lose them :-)
--

Lincolnshire2012.com
What Lincolnshire is planning for the 2012 Games!

Sporting-lincs.com
Search 1800+ Lincolnshire Sports Clubs.

Now post your own Sport information!

Old 13-07-2008, 09:42 PM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorry View Post
Hi
This year, I have some lovely fucshias in pots, which I would like to keep
over winter. They are not hardy, so I would need to bring them inside.
This may be a stupid question, but if i do bring them in, do they still need
to be somewhere light, or could I just put them in the garage? Would I need
to water them, or could I just leave them until next spring?

Thanks,
Dorothy
I have 4 in (separate) large wooden tubs. Around the outside of the tubs are planted Tulips, I leave the fuchsias as they are until about February then cut them right back. The tulips shelter the fuchsias quite well and the new growth starts about the middle of march and by the time the tulips are over the fuchsias are well established and start flower about the middle of June.
Old 14-07-2008, 03:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 21:42:27 +0100, Granity
wrote:

Dorry;803539 Wrote:
[...]

It depends where you are of course. Where are you granity, and OP
Dorothy, where are you? It also depends on the variety of fuchsia.
If they are hardy, or fairly so, they will be fine, but the tender
ones would be unlikely to survive except in very mild areas.
Dorothy, could you take some cuttings of your fuchsias and keep some
in and leave the others out, as an experiment?

Pam in Bristol