Old 17-07-2008, 12:21 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens

Default Besides eating,what else do you think pineapples are alsogood for ?

On 17/7/08 00:02, in article
, "Billy"
wrote:

In article
,
Keith wrote:

Besides eating, what else have you found pineapples are also good
for ?

I've heard that it is the fastest fermenting juice around and was the
favorite of ship bound sailors:-)

It's the symbol of hospitality, which is why you so often see them atop old
houses' gate posts etc. in rural UK. For example, they were grown in
pineapple pits at Heligan, in horse manure the decomposition of which gave
off the heat to grow the pineapples.
http://tinyurl.com/58k6zp
Even then, this was labour intensive and the outcome was fraught with danger
so they were both exotic and expensive. In those days there was immensely
strong competition among society hostesses to produce the first peas, beans,
strawberries etc. so producing pineapples was a social coup of some meaning.
I suppose that the entire plant could be quite useful for cleaning chimneys
if you run out of small boys. ;-)
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 17-07-2008, 02:19 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens

cybercat wrote:

sf wrote in message ...
On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 13:17:38 -0700 (PDT), Keith
wrote:

Besides eating, what else have you found pineapples are also good
for ?

Is this a trick question? I've tried to root the top in the past, but
it hasn't worked for me.

Meat tenderizer. There's an enzyme in them, this is the main ingredient in
"accent:" meat tenderizer. It's why the corners of your mouth can get a
little sore if you eat a lot of fresh pineapple.

Eating pineapple also makes a guy's semen taste nice 'n sweet...so you gals'
mouths can also get "a little sore" that way, too...!!!

:-)

--
Best
Greg

Old 17-07-2008, 07:17 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens
sf sf is offline

On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 10:00:28 +1200, Miche
wrote:

wrote:

Besides eating, what else have you found pineapples are also good
for ?

Is this a trick question? I've tried to root the top in the past, but
it hasn't worked for me.

Meat tenderizer. There's an enzyme in them, this is the main ingredient in
"accent:" meat tenderizer. It's why the corners of your mouth can get a
little sore if you eat a lot of fresh pineapple.

Yeah, it's eating you back!

Are some people immune? I've never had that problem (not even a
tingle) and I've eaten more than my fair share at times.

Mae West
Old 17-07-2008, 07:19 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens
sf sf is offline

On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 10:38:07 +1200, Miche
wrote:

Same thing with fresh kiwifruit and papaya. They all contain enzymes
which denature protein.

TMI about kiwi (haven't experienced that with kiwi either)... I don't
like papaya, so no biggie - say anything you want.

Mae West
Old 17-07-2008, 08:46 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens

wrote:

Besides eating, what else have you found pineapples are also good
for ?

Is this a trick question? I've tried to root the top in the past, but
it hasn't worked for me.

Meat tenderizer. There's an enzyme in them, this is the main ingredient in
"accent:" meat tenderizer. It's why the corners of your mouth can get a
little sore if you eat a lot of fresh pineapple.

I'll vouch for that. I've never used it as a tenderisers although I know
about it but when I prepar a pineapple I can't resist nibbling at the flesh
left on the core even though I know i'll have a sore mouth for hours.

Short term hedonist, that's me!

Mary

Old 17-07-2008, 03:11 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens

"Keith" wrote

Besides eating, what else have you found pineapples are also good
for ?

I hate the things so for me they are expensive compost only

Phil

Old 17-07-2008, 03:11 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens

"TheScullster" wrote in message

"Keith" wrote

Besides eating, what else have you found pineapples are also good
for ?

I hate the things so for me they are expensive compost only

If I were you ... and this is just me, mind you ... I might stop buying
them.

Old 17-07-2008, 07:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens

On Jul 16, 5:20 pm, sf wrote:
I've tried to root the top in the past, but
it hasn't worked for me.

It's worked for me, but my cat likes to chew on the new 'leaves'.
Makes a free plant, tho.
Old 17-07-2008, 08:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens

In article , sf wrote:

On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 10:00:28 +1200, Miche
wrote:

wrote:

Besides eating, what else have you found pineapples are also good
for ?

Is this a trick question? I've tried to root the top in the past, but
it hasn't worked for me.

Meat tenderizer. There's an enzyme in them, this is the main ingredient in
"accent:" meat tenderizer. It's why the corners of your mouth can get a
little sore if you eat a lot of fresh pineapple.

Yeah, it's eating you back!

Are some people immune? I've never had that problem (not even a
tingle) and I've eaten more than my fair share at times.

They'd only be immune if not made from meat, I guess.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Old 17-07-2008, 09:04 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens
I3 I3 is offline

wrote:

Besides eating, what else have you found pineapples are also good
for ?

Is this a trick question? I've tried to root the top in the past, but
it hasn't worked for me.

sf, screw off the pineapple head, remove some lower leaves, place in a
wine-glass filled with water on a windowsill and they will root. My
latest challenge is to keep them alive over winter and then plant in the
garden to see what happens. I know they like coastal climates in SA as
they grow extensively in the East London district, but here on the
highveld is a different story where we get -3C almost every night.

HTH/

Old 17-07-2008, 09:12 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens
I3 I3 is offline

Mugabe, Mbeki & Tsvangirai were lost in the forest and were captured
by cannibals. The cannibal king told the prisoners that they could live
if they passed a trial. The first step of the trial was to go to the
forest and get ten pieces of the same kind of fruit. So all three men
went separate ways to gather fruits.

Mbeki came back and said to the king, "I brought ten apples". The king
then explained the trial to him. "You have to shove the fruits up your
butt without any expression on your face or you will be eaten".
The first apple went in.... but on the second one he winced out in pain,
so he was killed. Tsvangirai arrived and showed the king ten berries.
When the king explained the trial to him, he thought to himself that
this should be easy. 1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8., and on the ninth
berry he burst out in laughter and was killed.

Mbeki & Tsvangirai met in heaven and Mbeki asked Tsvangirai, "Why did
you laugh, you almost got away with it?" Tsvangirai replied, "I couldn't
help it, I saw Mugabe coming with pineapples".

Old 17-07-2008, 09:40 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens

Miche wrote on Fri, 18 Jul 2008 07:56:09 +1200:

They'd only be immune if not made from meat, I guess.

Miche

"If the Juju had not meant us to eat people, he wouldn't have made us
from meat". Flanders and Swann: "The Reluctant Cannibal".

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Old 17-07-2008, 09:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens

In article , "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

wrote:

Besides eating, what else have you found pineapples are also good
for ?

Is this a trick question? I've tried to root the top in the past, but
it hasn't worked for me.

Meat tenderizer. There's an enzyme in them, this is the main ingredient in
"accent:" meat tenderizer. It's why the corners of your mouth can get a
little sore if you eat a lot of fresh pineapple.

I'll vouch for that. I've never used it as a tenderisers although I know
about it but when I prepar a pineapple I can't resist nibbling at the flesh
left on the core even though I know i'll have a sore mouth for hours.

Short term hedonist, that's me!

Mary

For a few months I've been subscribing to home deliveries of organic fruit
and veggies, mostly locally grown, but some from far away. My intake of
papaya, pineapple, kiwi, and suchlike, has skyrocketed, and to use all
this stuff I've been making lots of fruit smoothies and icies. I've also
been battling painful cracking at the corners of my mouth, something I
never experienced in my whole life, and thought was just another gawdamned
side effect of aging. I'd several times read about the effects of these
enzymes but it didn't go into my longterm memory partly because I didn't
think it had ever effected me so why worry about it. But now that I know
what it is I'm sure as hell gonna wash up after eating fruit! Still gonna
eat it though. It's tasty. And I'm pooping MUCH better I bet you're glad
to know.

-paghat the ratgirl
--
visit my temperate gardening website:
http://www.paghat.com
Old 17-07-2008, 10:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens
Registered User

Location: South Wales

wrote:

Besides eating, what else have you found pineapples are also good
for ?

Is this a trick question? *I've tried to root the top in the past, but
it hasn't worked for me.

sf, screw off the pineapple head, remove some lower leaves, place in a
wine-glass filled with water on a windowsill and they will root. My
latest challenge is to keep them alive over winter and then plant in the
garden to see what happens. I know they like coastal climates in SA as
they grow extensively in the East London district, but here on the
highveld is a different story where we get -3C almost every night.

HTH/

I've seen them used for hedging in Africa where the plants can grow to
over 3 ft in height.
David Hill