Old 25-07-2008, 09:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Taken yesterday

I too these of my baskets and pots, all of which I grew from seed
except the hanging pink begonias. Tonight it is raining, thank
goodness as it is parched here.

http://i36.tinypic.com/14x0654.jpg
http://i34.tinypic.com/15i9g85.jpg
http://i33.tinypic.com/nwggo4.jpg
http://i33.tinypic.com/15xqnw5.jpg
http://i34.tinypic.com/jq6lmv.jpg
http://i37.tinypic.com/2upxzix.jpg

Judith
Old 25-07-2008, 10:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith in France" wrote in message
I too these of my baskets and pots, all of which I grew from seed
except the hanging pink begonias. Tonight it is raining, thank
goodness as it is parched here.

http://i36.tinypic.com/14x0654.jpg
http://i34.tinypic.com/15i9g85.jpg
http://i33.tinypic.com/nwggo4.jpg
http://i33.tinypic.com/15xqnw5.jpg
http://i34.tinypic.com/jq6lmv.jpg
http://i37.tinypic.com/2upxzix.jpg

Goodness - it looks really beautiful there, Judith!

Old 25-07-2008, 11:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 25, 10:38 pm, Martin wrote:
On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 13:41:03 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

wrote:
I too these of my baskets and pots, all of which I grew from seed
except the hanging pink begonias. Tonight it is raining, thank
goodness as it is parched here.

http://i36.tinypic.com/14x0654.jpg
http://i34.tinypic.com/15i9g85.jpg
http://i33.tinypic.com/nwggo4.jpg
http://i33.tinypic.com/15xqnw5.jpg
http://i34.tinypic.com/jq6lmv.jpg
http://i37.tinypic.com/2upxzix.jpg

it fresher tomorrow.

Nice. It looks too hot
--

Martin

It's raining now so hopefully it will be a little cooler tonight and a
bit fresher tomorrow.

Judith
Old 25-07-2008, 11:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 25, 10:44 pm, "gavin"
wrote:
"Judith in France" wrote in ...

I too these of my baskets and pots, all of which I grew from seed
except the hanging pink begonias. Tonight it is raining, thank
goodness as it is parched here.

http://i36.tinypic.com/14x0654.jpg
http://i34.tinypic.com/15i9g85.jpg
http://i33.tinypic.com/nwggo4.jpg
http://i33.tinypic.com/15xqnw5.jpg
http://i34.tinypic.com/jq6lmv.jpg
http://i37.tinypic.com/2upxzix.jpg

Goodness - it looks really beautiful there, Judith!

Thanks Gavin, I believe the Auvergne is one of the most beautiful
areas of France.

Judith
Old 25-07-2008, 11:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/7/08 21:41, in article
, "Judith in
France" wrote:

I too these of my baskets and pots, all of which I grew from seed
except the hanging pink begonias. Tonight it is raining, thank
goodness as it is parched here.

http://i36.tinypic.com/14x0654.jpg
http://i34.tinypic.com/15i9g85.jpg
http://i33.tinypic.com/nwggo4.jpg
http://i33.tinypic.com/15xqnw5.jpg
http://i34.tinypic.com/jq6lmv.jpg
http://i37.tinypic.com/2upxzix.jpg

Judith

Those look *wonderful*. Are the white baskets planted up with petunias?
They look too big to be Bacopa. I think that a container with just one type
of plant in it can be amazingly effective and those certainly are.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 26-07-2008, 07:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 25, 11:51 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 25/7/08 21:41, in article
, "Judith in

France" wrote:
I too these of my baskets and pots, all of which I grew from seed
except the hanging pink begonias. Tonight it is raining, thank
goodness as it is parched here.

http://i36.tinypic.com/14x0654.jpg
http://i34.tinypic.com/15i9g85.jpg
http://i33.tinypic.com/nwggo4.jpg
http://i33.tinypic.com/15xqnw5.jpg
http://i34.tinypic.com/jq6lmv.jpg
http://i37.tinypic.com/2upxzix.jpg

Judith

Those look *wonderful*. Are the white baskets planted up with petunias?
They look too big to be Bacopa. I think that a container with just one type
of plant in it can be amazingly effective and those certainly are.

--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

They are actually Surfinas same as Petunia I think? I have manged to
keep Surfinas, sometimes, from one year to another by cutting them
right down to a few stems, keeping almost dry and frost free and then
feeding and growing on in the Spring. I also find that they take
excellent cuttings, one Surfina plant can give me dozens of cuttings
but I believe that strictly speaking, one is not allowed to do this?

Judith
Old 27-07-2008, 12:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/7/08 19:21, in article
, "Judith in
France" wrote:

On Jul 25, 11:51 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 25/7/08 21:41, in article
, "Judith in

France" wrote:
[...]

You might like to try the smaller flowered 'Million Bells' some time because
they flower like crazy. But as to taking cuttings, strictly speaking -
very, very strictly! - nobody should propagate plants with PBR on them but
it is totally unrealistic to apply that to the hobby gardener. I suppose if
you took hundreds and started selling them, the breeder might get a bit
irritable! My personal favourite is 'Lime'. I also suggest you try Silene
uniflora Robin White Breast some time which looks like a tiny white
carnation and smells delicious. And do you remember that about a year ago I
posted links to a pic of a 'climbing' pelargonium in a hot sunny corner of
my son's house border? You couldn't do that at your place because of the
winters but you could use it in hanging baskets in summer. It's called 'La
France'! I managed to find the name by sending a pic of it to Fibrex who
identified it. It's a very old variety and a few weeks ago we had some
French people in the nursery who love pelargoniums and who found it with
cries of delight. They come from Brittany and said it's terribly hard to
find now in that area. In fact they said it didn't exist! If you give me a
cyber nudge next spring I'll send you two or three to get you started. The
ones we have all come from cuttings of that one in Jersey so it's very easy
to get going - not unusually. But prolific must be its middle name. That
'climbing' one in Jersey was absolutely smothered in flowers a couple of
weeks ago when we saw it.

Old 27-07-2008, 09:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith in France" wrote in message
I too these of my baskets and pots, all of which I grew from seed
except the hanging pink begonias. Tonight it is raining, thank
goodness as it is parched here.

http://i36.tinypic.com/14x0654.jpg
http://i34.tinypic.com/15i9g85.jpg
http://i33.tinypic.com/nwggo4.jpg
http://i33.tinypic.com/15xqnw5.jpg
http://i34.tinypic.com/jq6lmv.jpg
http://i37.tinypic.com/2upxzix.jpg

Hey, nice fishpond Judith :-)

Seriously though, it all looks lovely.

Mike

Old 27-07-2008, 10:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 27, 9:34 am, "Muddymike" wrote:
"Judith in France" wrote in ...I too these of my baskets and pots, all of which I grew from seed
except the hanging pink begonias. Tonight it is raining, thank
goodness as it is parched here.

http://i36.tinypic.com/14x0654.jpg
http://i34.tinypic.com/15i9g85.jpg
http://i33.tinypic.com/nwggo4.jpg
http://i33.tinypic.com/15xqnw5.jpg
http://i34.tinypic.com/jq6lmv.jpg
http://i37.tinypic.com/2upxzix.jpg

Hey, nice fishpond Judith :-)

Seriously though, it all looks lovely.

Mike

Thanks Mike. How is your reclamation of that path coming on, the one
that was hidden by undergrowth last year?

Judith
Old 27-07-2008, 10:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 27, 12:27 am, Sacha wrote:
On 26/7/08 19:21, in article
, "Judith in

France" wrote:
On Jul 25, 11:51 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 25/7/08 21:41, in article
, "Judith in

France" wrote:
[...]

Fabulous post thank you Sacha, I am going to write this all down in my
telephone book. I have given up printing out stuff and then they get
lost, so anything important now is written into the back pages of the
telephone book under "Z".

I would be delighted and grateful for a cutting of your son's plant, I
remember you sent me a pic last year and it was utterly amazing. I
will have to order the seeds that you mentioned online as I doubt I
would be able to get these here, I have used Thompson & Morgan but
they have let me down a couple of times in the past, are there any
better seed retailers that you could recommend?

Judith

Old 27-07-2008, 10:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/7/08 10:54, in article
, "Judith
in France" wrote:

On Jul 27, 12:27 am, Sacha wrote:
On 26/7/08 19:21, in article
, "Judith in

France" wrote:
On Jul 25, 11:51 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 25/7/08 21:41, in article
, "Judith
in

France" wrote:
[...]

We usually buy in Surfinias and Million Bells (Calibrachoa) as plugs so you
might find them that way in France. As to seeds, we use commercial
suppliers so I can't recommend anyone myself though I'm sure others can.
I've noticed Chiltern Seeds carry an interesting range but I haven't used
them so don't know anything about service etc.

Old 27-07-2008, 11:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 27, 10:59 am, Sacha wrote:
On 27/7/08 10:54, in article
, "Judith

in France" wrote:
On Jul 27, 12:27 am, Sacha wrote:
On 26/7/08 19:21, in article
, "Judith in

France" wrote:
On Jul 25, 11:51 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 25/7/08 21:41, in article
, "Judith
in

France" wrote:
[...]

Thanks, do you know of a supplier who would sell plugs to the public
at a reasonable price. I have seen plugs sold by T&M and they are
quite expensive. Say one wanted about 500 plants, would a wholesaler
supply those to the public or maybe it is just too paltry compared to
orders from a Nursery or Garden Centre?

Judith
Old 27-07-2008, 11:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/7/08 11:05, in article
, "Judith
in France" wrote:

On Jul 27, 10:59 am, Sacha wrote:
On 27/7/08 10:54, in article
, "Judith

in France" wrote:
On Jul 27, 12:27 am, Sacha wrote:
On 26/7/08 19:21, in article
, "Judith
in

France" wrote:
On Jul 25, 11:51 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 25/7/08 21:41, in article
, "Judith
in

France" wrote:
[...]

I think 500 could well be viable at a special price but I think you'd be
best talking to someone in France because of shipping costs and hazards.
I'll ask Ray for some ideas but he's frantically watering things before we
got out to lunch - which we shouldn't really be doing on a sunny Sunday!

Old 27-07-2008, 11:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 27, 11:08 am, Sacha wrote:
On 27/7/08 11:05, in article
, "Judith

in France" wrote:
On Jul 27, 10:59 am, Sacha wrote:
On 27/7/08 10:54, in article
, "Judith

in France" wrote:
On Jul 27, 12:27 am, Sacha wrote:
On 26/7/08 19:21, in article
, "Judith
in

France" wrote:
On Jul 25, 11:51 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 25/7/08 21:41, in article
, "Judith
in

France" wrote:
[...]

That's kind of you thank you. I hope you have a good lunch, here, it
is too hot to eat, it really is time for something really delicate
such as cucumber sandwiches!!

Now totally OT some French friends of mine were entertained to
afternoon tea by an English friend of mine on Friday as they had heard
about tea at the Ritz in London. Lynne pulled out all the stops, she
made scones and whipped up a pot of thick cream and another pot of
strawberry jam, she shot me daggers when I asked where the butter
was! She had set the china crockery on a beautiful tray complete with
china tea-pot and slices of lemon and a small jug of milk. Finally
she gave them heavy white linen napkins, large enough to cover a small
table and started the ritual of English Afternoon tea. My friends
loved it but Lynne told me that drinking my coffee from a china tea
cup did not add anything to the experience for them lol. I don't
drink tea and it was too early for an aperitif :-)

Judith
Old 27-07-2008, 11:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 27, 11:12 am, Martin wrote:
On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 03:05:11 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

wrote:
On Jul 27, 10:59 am, Sacha wrote:
On 27/7/08 10:54, in article
, "Judith

in France" wrote:
On Jul 27, 12:27 am, Sacha wrote:
On 26/7/08 19:21, in article
, "Judith in

France" wrote:
On Jul 25, 11:51 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 25/7/08 21:41, in article
, "Judith
in

France" wrote:
[...]

Did you ever look locally, Judith?

http://www.google.fr/search?hl=fr&q=...oa&btnG=Recher...
--

Martin

Oh Bless, as always, my shining Knight gallops into view again, thanks
Martin, I have now bookmarked this, but at 8 euros a packet it seems a
little stiff as usually one only gets a few seeds per packet. On the
one I looked at, it didn't say how many to the packet.

Judith