Old 26-07-2008, 10:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tiny sweetpea

When we were at Highgrove we saw the tiniest sweetpea flower I've ever seen.
Neither of us knew what it was - it's a light blue, all one colour IIRC and
probably less than an inch across. At first glance we thought we'd seen a
tiny butterfly. Anyone know what it is?

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 26-07-2008, 08:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Sacha writes
On 26/7/08 12:01, in article ,
"Jennifer Sparkes" wrote:

... or, having looked at that, I found Lathyrus sativus - blue

http://www.tradewindsfruit.com/veget..._sweet_pea.htm

Jennifer

Should have read your msg. before replying to Charlie, Jennifer!

I think L sativus is a rather steely/electric blue - I'm pretty sure
that's the species I've grown in the past, and it is certainly a
striking colour.
--
Kay
Old 27-07-2008, 12:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/7/08 20:43, in article , "K"
wrote:

Sacha writes
On 26/7/08 12:01, in article ,
"Jennifer Sparkes" wrote:

... or, having looked at that, I found Lathyrus sativus - blue

http://www.tradewindsfruit.com/veget..._sweet_pea.htm

Jennifer

Should have read your msg. before replying to Charlie, Jennifer!

I think L sativus is a rather steely/electric blue - I'm pretty sure
that's the species I've grown in the past, and it is certainly a
striking colour.

Well, steely isn't right. This was sort of dusty, I'd say. I think/hope
one of the gardeners is going to email us about the Hosta, so I'll see if he
can find out what it is from one of his colleagues. It was so tiny and so
unobtrusive that we almost missed it altogether.

Old 27-07-2008, 08:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
On 26/7/08 20:43, in article , "K"
wrote:

Sacha writes
On 26/7/08 12:01, in article
,
"Jennifer Sparkes" wrote:

... or, having looked at that, I found Lathyrus sativus - blue

http://www.tradewindsfruit.com/veget..._sweet_pea.htm

Jennifer

Should have read your msg. before replying to Charlie, Jennifer!

I think L sativus is a rather steely/electric blue - I'm pretty sure
that's the species I've grown in the past, and it is certainly a
striking colour.

Well, steely isn't right. This was sort of dusty, I'd say. I think/hope
one of the gardeners is going to email us about the Hosta, so I'll see if he
can find out what it is from one of his colleagues. It was so tiny and so
unobtrusive that we almost missed it altogether.

There is something called Lord Ansons Pea but I have never grown it that
is supposed to be a bright blue
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 27-07-2008, 08:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/7/08 08:46, in article ,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

In article ,
says...
On 26/7/08 20:43, in article , "K"
wrote:

Sacha writes
On 26/7/08 12:01, in article
,
"Jennifer Sparkes" wrote:

... or, having looked at that, I found Lathyrus sativus - blue

http://www.tradewindsfruit.com/veget..._sweet_pea.htm

Jennifer

Should have read your msg. before replying to Charlie, Jennifer!

I think L sativus is a rather steely/electric blue - I'm pretty sure
that's the species I've grown in the past, and it is certainly a
striking colour.

Well, steely isn't right. This was sort of dusty, I'd say. I think/hope
one of the gardeners is going to email us about the Hosta, so I'll see if he
can find out what it is from one of his colleagues. It was so tiny and so
unobtrusive that we almost missed it altogether.

There is something called Lord Ansons Pea but I have never grown it that
is supposed to be a bright blue

Yes, that is too bright a blue. I'll have to see if I can find out from the
man in charge of the Hostas.

Old 27-07-2008, 01:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Are you quite sure the 'Sweetpea' at Highgrove was a Lathyrus? Knowing
Prince Charles's fondnest for wild flowers, and that he was friendly and
often advised by the late Miriam Rothschild, could your Sweetpea not be Wood
Vetch, Vicia sylvatica. Wood vetch is fully in flower at the moment here in
Northamptonshire and as a climber, grows to at least 6ft.

MD.

Old 27-07-2008, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/7/08 13:22, in article , "Mike
Derby" wrote:

Are you quite sure the 'Sweetpea' at Highgrove was a Lathyrus? Knowing
Prince Charles's fondnest for wild flowers, and that he was friendly and
often advised by the late Miriam Rothschild, could your Sweetpea not be Wood
Vetch, Vicia sylvatica. Wood vetch is fully in flower at the moment here in
Northamptonshire and as a climber, grows to at least 6ft.

MD.

That's still not it, I'm afraid. We have that here and I love it but it's
not the same.

Old 27-07-2008, 06:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 10:01:09 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

When we were at Highgrove we saw the tiniest sweetpea flower I've ever seen.
Neither of us knew what it was - it's a light blue, all one colour IIRC and
probably less than an inch across. At first glance we thought we'd seen a
tiny butterfly. Anyone know what it is?

Crucial question Sacha. Was it scented?
I have grown one similar to Jennifer's picture but have no idea where
the seed came from. Mine were not scented.
I have saved so many sweet pea seeds over the years that this year I
mixed them all together. I tried 2 sowings of my mixture and only one
germinated in each pot and it was one of those. Long fine leaves and
tiny pale blue flowers. No idea of variety but mine look like
sativus. So disappointing that there is no scent.

Pam in Bristol