Old 12-08-2008, 04:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Petition to ban that herbicide.

Please sign this petition asking the Government to bad this long lasting
herbicide that is the cause of so many crop failures on allotments and
gardens that use Horse Manure. I might add it's not just muck it's in, it
can be in crops planted a year or two after the field sprayed so even if you
don't grow your own you may be affected.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Aminopyralid/

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 12-08-2008, 06:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 12, 4:57*pm, Martin wrote:
On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 17:53:39 +0200, Martin wrote:
On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 16:48:43 +0100, "Bob Hobden" wrote:

Please sign this petition asking the Government to bad this long lasting
herbicide that is the cause of so many crop failures on allotments and
gardens that use Horse Manure. I might add it's not just muck it's in, it
can be in crops planted a year or two after the field sprayed so even if you
don't grow your own you may be affected.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Aminopyralid/

I guess you read this?

"It is now withdrawn in the U.K.
PSD Regulatory Update 23/2008
published 24July

extract:
2. PSD has already confirmed that using manure, which may contain residues of
aminopyralid, does not have implications for human health. However, in response
to the concerns of allotment holders and leisure gardeners about damage believed
to result from these residues, PSD has been in contact with Dow AgroSciences
Limited, the approval holder and data owner for the majority of aminopyralid
products approved in the UK. Dow AgroSciences have asked for their approvals to
be modified whilst the situation is under investigation.

PSD has accepted this and amended the approval of all products containing
aminopyralid to suspend the approval for sale, supply, and use with immediate
effect whilst further investigations are undertaken.

Storage is unaffected and it remains legal and safe for these products to be
stored by anyone."

andhttp://www.parliament.the-stationery-office.co.uk/pa/cm200708/cmhansr....
--

Martin- Hide quoted text -

Interesting read Martin and a bit worrying. The cows here graze on
the fields and we intend using their manure next year.

Judith
Old 12-08-2008, 06:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 12, 4:48*pm, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
Please sign this petition asking the Government to bad this long lasting
herbicide that is the cause of so many crop failures on allotments and
gardens that use Horse Manure. I might add it's not just muck it's in, it
can be in crops planted a year or two after the field sprayed so even if you
don't grow your own you may be affected.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Aminopyralid/

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

I will take a look Bob, thanks for posting it.

Judith
Old 12-08-2008, 10:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 12, 9:57*pm, Martin wrote:
On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 10:44:09 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

wrote:
On Aug 12, 4:57*pm, Martin wrote:
[...]

Stick to horse manure and save on antibiotics?

Is there any evidence to show that cow manure damages plants because it contains
aminopyralid? If the manure damages plants what does it do to the cows and
people who eat them or drink milk?
--

Martin- Hide quoted text -

Stop, I drink the milk from the dairy here, I eat sweetcorn straight
from the farmer's fields which he has sprayed with manure, too late to
worry, fortunately I eat little meat!!!

Judith
Old 12-08-2008, 10:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote ...

I can't see the point of having a petition after the government has taken
action.

Because our Gov't hasn't banned it, just put it on hold until the fuss dies
down, no definitive answer.
If it's banned our overenthusiastic Civil Service will ensure it isn't used
but right now it's just in limbo.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 12-08-2008, 11:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 12, 10:21*pm, Martin wrote:
On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 10:44:44 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

wrote:
On Aug 12, 4:48*pm, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
Please sign this petition asking the Government to bad this long lasting
herbicide that is the cause of so many crop failures on allotments and
gardens that use Horse Manure. I might add it's not just muck it's in, it
can be in crops planted a year or two after the field sprayed so even if you
don't grow your own you may be affected.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Aminopyralid/

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

I will take a look Bob, thanks for posting it.

I can't see the point of having a petition after the government has taken
action.
--

Martin

Decisions can be changed, nothing is written in stone?

Judith
Old 13-08-2008, 12:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 12, 11:31*pm, Martin wrote:
On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 15:04:09 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

wrote:
On Aug 12, 4:48*pm, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
Please sign this petition asking the Government to bad this long lasting
herbicide that is the cause of so many crop failures on allotments and
gardens that use Horse Manure. I might add it's not just muck it's in, it
can be in crops planted a year or two after the field sprayed so even if you
don't grow your own you may be affected.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Aminopyralid/

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

I will take a look Bob, thanks for posting it.

I can't see the point of having a petition after the government has taken
action.
--

Martin

Decisions can be changed, nothing is written in stone?

The government action seems reasonable to me. Besides 10 Downing Street
petitions are a waste of time and effort.
Have you googled to check what the situation in France is?
--

Martin- Hide quoted text -

Nope. You know me and Google, not compatable :-) (Now how do I get
rid of Vista on this computer!!!!!)

Judith
Old 13-08-2008, 09:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 00:06:12 +0100, Judith in France wrote
(in article
):

On Aug 12, 11:31*pm, Martin wrote:

[re herbicide}
Have you googled to check what the situation in France is?

Nope. You know me and Google, not compatable :-) (Now how do I get
rid of Vista on this computer!!!!!)

Buy a Mac :-)

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Posted through the usenet newsgroup uk.rec.gardening

Old 13-08-2008, 03:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote after...
"Bob Hobden" wrote:
"Martin" wrote ...

I can't see the point of having a petition after the government has
taken
action.

Because our Gov't hasn't banned it, just put it on hold until the fuss
dies
down, no definitive answer.

It isn't what was said in the House of Commons.

If it's banned our overenthusiastic Civil Service will ensure it isn't
used

What would you prefer a totally ineffective civil service?

Sometimes I think the answer is yes. For example our Civil Service always
takes any EU directive to the Nth degree unlike our neighbours whose Civil
Service use some common sense and consider what their taxpayers want, and
any increase in costs, before implementation.

but right now it's just in limbo.

Right now it's use is suspended.

That is what I said. It's in limbo.

First they suspend it's use whilst they look to see what evidence there is
that
it is harmful and then if there is evidence that it is harmful it will be
banned. That seems to be a reasonable approach to me.

If that is what is happening then great, but I don't hold as much faith in
the system as you. There is a lot of money involved here.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 13-08-2008, 04:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 13, 9:37*am, Martin wrote:
On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 16:06:12 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

wrote:
[...]

Buy a Dell with WinXP pre-installed. Change to Linux and I doubt we will ever
hear from you again. My attempt failed when I found that Open SuSE Linux didn't
have support for the modem I use. The suggestion that I should change modems is
ludicrous.
--

Martin- Hide quoted text -

At the risk of making myself look an even bigger fool than I am when
it comes to computers, I take the Sixth. Martin, you knew you would
flummux me with that lol

Judith

Old 13-08-2008, 04:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 13, 9:52*am, Sally Thompson wrote:
On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 00:06:12 +0100, Judith in France wrote
(in article
):

On Aug 12, 11:31*pm, Martin wrote:

[re herbicide}

Have you googled to check what the situation in France is?

Nope. *You know me and Google, not compatable :-) *(Now how do I get
rid of Vista on this computer!!!!!)

Buy a Mac :-)

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Posted through the usenet newsgroup uk.rec.gardening

Not a chance Sally, we have 3 almost brand new computers, in fact the
latest one was only opened this week, it's all Edward's fault, he is
trying to network them and I told him not to touch the laptop!!!!

Judith
Old 13-08-2008, 04:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 13, 1:31*pm, AriesVal
wrote:
On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 16:06:12 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France wrote:
On Aug 12, 11:31*pm, Martin wrote:
[42 quoted lines suppressed]

Nope. *You know me and Google, not compatable :-) *(Now how do I get
rid of Vista on this computer!!!!!)

Judith

I'm using Vista and enjoying it. *What is it exactly you don't like about it
- *I may be able to advise ?
--
I often regret that I have spoken;
never that I have been silent.

Thank you Val, I have given up trying to understand it.

Judith
Old 14-08-2008, 09:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12 Aug, 23:37, Martin wrote:

First they suspend it's use whilst they look to see what evidence there is that
it is harmful and then if there is evidence that it is harmful it will be
banned. That seems to be a reasonable approach to me.

Oh, aye. But along with scientific evidence there is the weight of
public opinion to consider. It seems perfectly proper in a democracy
to take the opportunity to express that opinion during the evidence
gathering phase, and rather more responsible than waiting until the
decision is made to make a less effectual fuss

I've signed, even though I doubt the efficacy of these No 10 petitions.