Old 12-08-2008, 11:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Lupin problem

Some of my lupins have just dropped, literally just collapsed. I
pulled up one to see what was happening, it didn't have a root, it was
chopped off at the base of the stem. What is going on and how do I
stop it extending to the rest of my border?

Judith
Old 12-08-2008, 11:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith in France" wrote
Some of my lupins have just dropped, literally just collapsed. I
pulled up one to see what was happening, it didn't have a root, it was
chopped off at the base of the stem. What is going on and how do I
stop it extending to the rest of my border?

It's strange but I've had two of our chilli plants just topple over, snap
off, and die on the allotment and two of our winter cabbages have gone
rotten in the middle and collapsed as has a Swede.
I put it down to this unseasonable weather.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 12-08-2008, 11:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Judith in France" wrote
Some of my lupins have just dropped, literally just collapsed. I
pulled up one to see what was happening, it didn't have a root, it was
chopped off at the base of the stem. What is going on and how do I
stop it extending to the rest of my border?

It's strange but I've had two of our chilli plants just topple over, snap
off, and die on the allotment and two of our winter cabbages have gone
rotten in the middle and collapsed as has a Swede.
I put it down to this unseasonable weather.

I agree Bob , we had a storm here tonite in Coventry . Had visions of what
plants are left washing down the drive . Have decided that bedding plants
are a no go next year .

Old 13-08-2008, 12:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 12, 11:18*pm, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
"Judith in France" *wrote Some of my lupins have just dropped, literally just collapsed. *I
pulled up one to see what was happening, it didn't have a root, it was
chopped off at the base of the stem. *What is going on and how do I
stop it extending to the rest of my border?

It's strange but I've had two of our chilli plants just topple over, snap
off, and die on the allotment and two of our winter cabbages have gone
rotten in the middle and collapsed as has a Swede.
I put it down to this unseasonable weather.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Thanks Bob and Tony but why haven't all the plants done the same
thing?

Judith
Old 13-08-2008, 02:37 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judith in France View Post
Some of my lupins have just dropped, literally just collapsed. I
pulled up one to see what was happening, it didn't have a root, it was
chopped off at the base of the stem. What is going on and how do I
stop it extending to the rest of my border?

Judith

I would suspect either slugs or some other underground pest.
Old 13-08-2008, 09:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"beccabunga" wrote in message

Judith in France;809566 Wrote:
Some of my lupins have just dropped, literally just collapsed. I
pulled up one to see what was happening, it didn't have a root, it was
chopped off at the base of the stem. What is going on and how do I
stop it extending to the rest of my border?

Judith

I would suspect either slugs or some other underground pest.

--
beccabunga

Moley turned vegetarian perhaps !

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 13-08-2008, 10:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 13, 12:29*pm, Charlie Pridham
wrote:
In article 392df168-cf45-4cef-85b6-
,
says...

On Aug 12, 11:18*pm, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
"Judith in France" *wrote Some of my lupins have just dropped, literally just collapsed. *I
pulled up one to see what was happening, it didn't have a root, it was
chopped off at the base of the stem. *What is going on and how do I
stop it extending to the rest of my border?

It's strange but I've had two of our chilli plants just topple over, snap
off, and die on the allotment and two of our winter cabbages have gone
rotten in the middle and collapsed as has a Swede.
I put it down to this unseasonable weather.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Thanks Bob and Tony but why haven't all the plants done the same
thing?

Judith

Is it rotted or cut? if the later Voles mice or rabbits may be the
culprits
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwallwww.roselandhouse.co.uk
Lapageria rosea- Hide quoted text -

Thanks to all who replied, it was cut off Charlie, no rot. Edward and
I both saw quite a sweet creature yesterday, it looked like a mouse
but had a pointed nose, Edward seems to think this is a vole?

Judith

Old 14-08-2008, 09:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Judith in France writes
Thanks to all who replied, it was cut off Charlie, no rot. Edward and
I both saw quite a sweet creature yesterday, it looked like a mouse but
had a pointed nose, Edward seems to think this is a vole?

If very pointed, and a small creature, then it's a shrew. Voles tend to
have rather rounded noses
--
Kay
Old 14-08-2008, 10:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 14, 9:15*am, K wrote:
Judith in France writes

Thanks to all who replied, it was cut off Charlie, no rot. *Edward and
I both saw quite a sweet creature yesterday, it looked like a mouse but
had a pointed nose, Edward seems to think this is a vole?

If very pointed, and a small creature, then it's a shrew. Voles tend to
have rather rounded noses
--
Kay

So it was a shrew, I looked up a picture, it is exactly the same,
thanks Kay. Could it be nipping my plants underground?

Judith

Old 14-08-2008, 10:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Judith in France writes
On Aug 14, 9:15*am, K wrote:
Judith in France writes

Thanks to all who replied, it was cut off Charlie, no rot. *Edward and
I both saw quite a sweet creature yesterday, it looked like a mouse but
had a pointed nose, Edward seems to think this is a vole?

If very pointed, and a small creature, then it's a shrew. Voles tend to
have rather rounded noses

So it was a shrew, I looked up a picture, it is exactly the same,
thanks Kay. Could it be nipping my plants underground?

I don't know anything about shrews, but I rather thought they were
carnivores. Sharp toothed vicious little creatures. Not that I hold it
against them. You have to be tough if you're that size.
--
Kay
Old 14-08-2008, 02:11 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judith in France View Post

Thanks to all who replied, it was cut off Charlie, no rot. Edward and
I both saw quite a sweet creature yesterday, it looked like a mouse
but had a pointed nose, Edward seems to think this is a vole?

Judith

A pointed nose sounds more like a shrew. Voles have blunt noses and short tails.
Old 14-08-2008, 07:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 14, 10:58*am, K wrote:
Judith in France writesOn Aug 14, 9:15*am, K wrote:
Judith in France writes

Thanks to all who replied, it was cut off Charlie, no rot. *Edward and
I both saw quite a sweet creature yesterday, it looked like a mouse but
had a pointed nose, Edward seems to think this is a vole?

If very pointed, and a small creature, then it's a shrew. Voles tend to
have rather rounded noses

So it was a shrew, I looked up a picture, it is exactly the same,
thanks Kay. *Could it be nipping my plants underground?

I don't know anything about shrews, but I rather thought they were
carnivores. Sharp toothed vicious little creatures. Not that I hold it
against them. You have to be tough if you're that size.
--
Kay

Tell me about it, I am small and tough too :-)

Judith
Old 14-08-2008, 08:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Judith in France wrote:
On Aug 14, 10:58 am, K wrote:
Judith in France writesOn Aug 14, 9:15 am, K wrote:
Judith in France writes
Thanks to all who replied, it was cut off Charlie, no rot. Edward and
I both saw quite a sweet creature yesterday, it looked like a mouse but
had a pointed nose, Edward seems to think this is a vole?
If very pointed, and a small creature, then it's a shrew. Voles tend to
have rather rounded noses
So it was a shrew, I looked up a picture, it is exactly the same,
thanks Kay. Could it be nipping my plants underground?

I don't know anything about shrews, but I rather thought they were
carnivores. Sharp toothed vicious little creatures. Not that I hold it
against them. You have to be tough if you're that size.
--
Kay

Tell me about it, I am small and tough too :-)

Judith

:-)

Lupin Seeds Jeanne Stockdale United Kingdom 4 24-09-2009 04:53 PM
Lupin question. Freedom_Spark Gardening 3 15-07-2008 07:43 PM
Lupin Ron[_3_] Garden Photos 0 21-05-2008 07:10 AM
Lupin variety "Myrtle Rosemary" [email protected] United Kingdom 0 27-04-2006 11:52 AM
Lupin shannie United Kingdom 0 29-07-2003 10:47 PM