Old 15-08-2008, 07:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default plant I.d.Please!

Have had this for ages, cant remember how I acquired it, I always called it
Chinese honeysuckle, but have been put right on that! Its not a very fast
grower. That's all I can say about it! it doesn't flower, I'm having to tie
it to the arch, but it is quite pretty.

Old 15-08-2008, 08:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Sheila writes
Have had this for ages, cant remember how I acquired it, I always called it
Chinese honeysuckle, but have been put right on that! Its not a very fast
grower. That's all I can say about it! it doesn't flower, I'm having to tie
it to the arch, but it is quite pretty.

I don't think this is quite enough for an identification ;-)

Googling on "Chinese honeysuckle" suggests the name is used for Lonicera
nitida (bush with small green leaves which used to be popular for
hedging) Lonicera japonica (another of the climbing honeysuckles) and
Weigela 'florida variegata'
just for starters. You could Google images of these and see if any
match yours.

If you want us to try to id, then at the least a description of the
size, shape, hairiness etc of the leaves would be helpful.

Unless, of course, you tried to post a photo to the newsgroup, which
will have been stripped off as this is not one of the few newsgroups
which allow photos.

--
Kay
Old 15-08-2008, 08:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sheila" wrote in message
om...
Have had this for ages, cant remember how I acquired it, I always called
it Chinese honeysuckle, but have been put right on that! Its not a very
fast grower. That's all I can say about it! it doesn't flower, I'm having
to tie it to the arch, but it is quite pretty.

Doh, would be helpful If I had provided the
link.....http://gs74.photobucket.com/groups/i275/6P0GIZZFL6/

Old 15-08-2008, 08:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sheila" wrote in message
om...

"Sheila" wrote in message
om...
Have had this for ages, cant remember how I acquired it, I always called
it Chinese honeysuckle, but have been put right on that! Its not a very
fast grower. That's all I can say about it! it doesn't flower, I'm having
to tie it to the arch, but it is quite pretty.

Doh, would be helpful If I had provided the
link.....http://gs74.photobucket.com/groups/i275/6P0GIZZFL6/

sorry, having a few probs transferring, hope to get it right soon....

Old 15-08-2008, 08:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sheila" wrote in message
om...

"Sheila" wrote in message
om...

"Sheila" wrote in message
om...
Have had this for ages, cant remember how I acquired it, I always called
it Chinese honeysuckle, but have been put right on that! Its not a very
fast grower. That's all I can say about it! it doesn't flower, I'm
having to tie it to the arch, but it is quite pretty.

Doh, would be helpful If I had provided the
link.....http://gs74.photobucket.com/groups/i275/6P0GIZZFL6/

sorry, having a few probs transferring, hope to get it right soon....

http://s528.photobucket.com/albums/dd322/sheilaformby/
try this one...

Old 15-08-2008, 09:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sheila
writes

"Sheila" wrote in message
. com...
Have had this for ages, cant remember how I acquired it, I always called
it Chinese honeysuckle, but have been put right on that! Its not a very
fast grower. That's all I can say about it! it doesn't flower, I'm having
to tie it to the arch, but it is quite pretty.

Doh, would be helpful If I had provided the
link.....http://gs74.photobucket.com/groups/i275/6P0GIZZFL6/

It's generally helpful to provide photographs of flowers, as well as
foliage. However in this case it looks like Lonicera japonica
'Aureoreticulata' (golden net-veined Japanese Honeysuckle).
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 15-08-2008, 09:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sheila
writes

"Sheila" wrote in message
.com...
Have had this for ages, cant remember how I acquired it, I always called
it Chinese honeysuckle, but have been put right on that! Its not a very
fast grower. That's all I can say about it! it doesn't flower, I'm
having
to tie it to the arch, but it is quite pretty.

Doh, would be helpful If I had provided the
link.....http://gs74.photobucket.com/groups/i275/6P0GIZZFL6/

It's generally helpful to provide photographs of flowers, as well as
foliage. However in this case it looks like Lonicera japonica
'Aureoreticulata' (golden net-veined Japanese Honeysuckle).
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Thanks for that, so I was right! (btw, I did say in my original post it
doesn't flower!)

Old 15-08-2008, 09:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 15 Aug, 21:28, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:
In message , Sheila
writes

"Sheila" wrote in message
. com...
Have had this for ages, cant remember how I acquired it, I always called
it Chinese honeysuckle, but have been put right on that! *Its not a very
fast grower. That's all I can say about it! it doesn't flower, I'm having
to tie it to the arch, but it is quite pretty.

Doh, would *be helpful If I had provided the
link.....http://gs74.photobucket.com/groups/i275/6P0GIZZFL6/

It's generally helpful to provide photographs of flowers, as well as
foliage. However in this case it looks like Lonicera japonica
'Aureoreticulata' (golden net-veined Japanese Honeysuckle).
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

I'll go with Lonicera japonica 'Aureoreticulata' as well
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries
Old 15-08-2008, 10:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
On 15 Aug, 21:28, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:
In message , Sheila
writes

"Sheila" wrote in message
. com...
Have had this for ages, cant remember how I acquired it, I always
called
it Chinese honeysuckle, but have been put right on that! Its not a very
fast grower. That's all I can say about it! it doesn't flower, I'm
having
to tie it to the arch, but it is quite pretty.

Doh, would be helpful If I had provided the
link.....http://gs74.photobucket.com/groups/i275/6P0GIZZFL6/

It's generally helpful to provide photographs of flowers, as well as
foliage. However in this case it looks like Lonicera japonica
'Aureoreticulata' (golden net-veined Japanese Honeysuckle).
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

I'll go with Lonicera japonica 'Aureoreticulata' as well
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

yes, thank you as well (almost right, Chinese/Japanese, at least I got the
honeysuckle part right! It has never flowered for me, I have had it
for at least 15 years, its not very rampant either! but it is very pretty
and unusual.

I think I may try to take cuttings from it, is now about the right time?

Old 15-08-2008, 10:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/8/08 21:58, in article
, "Dave
Hill" wrote:

On 15 Aug, 21:28, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:
In message , Sheila
writes

"Sheila" wrote in message
om...
Have had this for ages, cant remember how I acquired it, I always called
it Chinese honeysuckle, but have been put right on that! *Its not a very
fast grower. That's all I can say about it! it doesn't flower, I'm having
to tie it to the arch, but it is quite pretty.

Doh, would *be helpful If I had provided the
link.....
http://gs74.photobucket.com/groups/i275/6P0GIZZFL6/

It's generally helpful to provide photographs of flowers, as well as
foliage. However in this case it looks like Lonicera japonica
'Aureoreticulata' (golden net-veined Japanese Honeysuckle).
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

I'll go with Lonicera japonica 'Aureoreticulata' as well
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Can't get any photo at all!
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 15-08-2008, 10:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sheila
writes

In message , Sheila
writes

"Sheila" wrote in message
a.com...
Have had this for ages, cant remember how I acquired it, I always called
it Chinese honeysuckle, but have been put right on that! Its not a very
fast grower. That's all I can say about it! it doesn't flower, I'm
having
to tie it to the arch, but it is quite pretty.

Doh, would be helpful If I had provided the
link.....http://gs74.photobucket.com/groups/i275/6P0GIZZFL6/

It's generally helpful to provide photographs of flowers, as well as
foliage. However in this case it looks like Lonicera japonica
'Aureoreticulata' (golden net-veined Japanese Honeysuckle).
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Thanks for that, so I was right! (btw, I did say in my original post it
doesn't flower!)

Sorry. At the time I was only paying attention to the second post.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 16-08-2008, 12:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message

Can't get any photo at all!
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

Have you not clicked with this photo bucket thingy then ?

http://s528.photobucket.com/albums/dd322/sheilaformby/

! (:-----
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 16-08-2008, 11:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

In message , Sheila
writes

"Sheila" wrote in message
.com...
Have had this for ages, cant remember how I acquired it, I always called
it Chinese honeysuckle, but have been put right on that! Its not a very
fast grower. That's all I can say about it! it doesn't flower, I'm
having
to tie it to the arch, but it is quite pretty.

Doh, would be helpful If I had provided the
link.....
http://gs74.photobucket.com/groups/i275/6P0GIZZFL6/

It's generally helpful to provide photographs of flowers, as well as
foliage. However in this case it looks like Lonicera japonica
'Aureoreticulata' (golden net-veined Japanese Honeysuckle).
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Thanks for that, so I was right! (btw, I did say in my original post it
doesn't flower!)

They will occassionally flower but the flowers are very small and you are
more likely to smell them rather than see them, you are fortunate to be
able to grow it well as here it becomes an unsightly mess with mildewed
leaves
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk