Old 20-08-2008, 01:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Buddleia

What would make a perfectly healthy Buddleia suddenly die within a month?

Everything else around it OK

Mike

Old 20-08-2008, 01:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message
What would make a perfectly healthy Buddleia suddenly die within a month?

Everything else around it OK

Mike

Accidental dose of weed killer?

Old 20-08-2008, 01:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Robert (Plymouth)" wrote in message

"'Mike'" wrote in message
What would make a perfectly healthy Buddleia suddenly die within a month?

Everything else around it OK

Mike

Accidental dose of weed killer?

Without any shadow of doubt ........... No

Old 20-08-2008, 02:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"'Mike'" writes:

| What would make a perfectly healthy Buddleia suddenly die within a month?
|
| Everything else around it OK

Some sort of root-rot. That has happened to me, twice, with buddleia,
and several times with other plants. Usually, digging it up and
looking under the bark shows evidence, but there is no way of telling
whether that is primary or secondary.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 20-08-2008, 06:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"'Mike'" writes:

| What would make a perfectly healthy Buddleia suddenly die within a
month?

| Everything else around it OK

Some sort of root-rot. That has happened to me, twice, with buddleia,
and several times with other plants. Usually, digging it up and
looking under the bark shows evidence, but there is no way of telling
whether that is primary or secondary.

Regards,

Nick Maclaren.

Thanks Nick

Our neighbour first noticed it in June/July when he was looking after house
and garden whilst we were on a cruise to Greenland, Iceland and Norway. When
we came home, it was half dead. Now in August it is completely dead and we
removed this afternoon.

All plants around it are fine and healthy :-))))

Thanks again

Mike

Old 20-08-2008, 07:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , "'Mike'" writes:

| Our neighbour first noticed it in June/July when he was looking after house
| and garden whilst we were on a cruise to Greenland, Iceland and Norway. When
| we came home, it was half dead. Now in August it is completely dead and we
| removed this afternoon.
|
| All plants around it are fine and healthy :-))))

That's what happened to me. In my front garden, I lost two buddleia,
a flowering cherry, a magnolia and other things the same way. Some
years on, a buddleia is doing find just there. Now, THAT was fungal
(or at least not bacterial) because I could see the mycelium. But I
have lost a chilli this year that way (it took a week) and there was
nothing visible.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 21-08-2008, 07:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

writes:

| Our neighbour first noticed it in June/July when he was looking after
house
| and garden whilst we were on a cruise to Greenland, Iceland and Norway.
When
| we came home, it was half dead. Now in August it is completely dead and
we
| removed this afternoon.
|
| All plants around it are fine and healthy :-))))

That's what happened to me. In my front garden, I lost two buddleia,
a flowering cherry, a magnolia and other things the same way. Some
years on, a buddleia is doing find just there. Now, THAT was fungal
(or at least not bacterial) because I could see the mycelium. But I
have lost a chilli this year that way (it took a week) and there was
nothing visible.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

About 15 feet away we have a Flowering Cherry which isn't very well too!!
That has been 'poorly' for a couple of years now and is coming out in the
very near future. The silly thing is that there are plenty of other plants
and shrubs nearby and between the two which are fine and even a mixed hedge
between the two is fine!!

Maybe we should hook everything out, cover it with concrete and paint it
green. There are some wonderful plastic plants, flowers and shrubs about now
;-)

Mike

Old 21-08-2008, 10:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "'Mike'" contains these words:

About 15 feet away we have a Flowering Cherry which isn't very well too!!
That has been 'poorly' for a couple of years now and is coming out in the
very near future. The silly thing is that there are plenty of other plants
and shrubs nearby and between the two which are fine and even a mixed hedge
between the two is fine!!

Cherry wood, though very hard, is a lovely medium for carving and
turning, and oxidises to a fantastic colour - reds, chocolate, and all
shades between.

Use potassium dichromate or chromic acid solution to accelerate the
process (to more-or-less instant...).

Maybe we should hook everything out, cover it with concrete and paint it
green. There are some wonderful plastic plants, flowers and shrubs
about now
;-)

Well, low maintenance, 'cos Astroturf needs a vacuum cleaner over it
quite regularly...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Butterfly bush (Buddleia) how prune? - My Dilemma Ian Gardening 10 23-05-2003 02:32 AM
multi-colored Buddleia courtault at yahoo.com Texas 0 05-04-2003 11:11 AM
Need advice on pruning a buddleia Annabel United Kingdom 2 17-02-2003 09:31 AM
multi-colored Buddleia animaux Texas 0 12-02-2003 01:56 AM
Need advice on pruning a buddleia GR United Kingdom 2 11-02-2003 10:08 PM