Old 21-08-2008, 10:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Forcing Hyacinths - Dark or light?

Hi All

I have brought some hyacinths to hopefully flower indoors over christmas in
my Dad and Nan's memory but after last years growing them in the dark, found
them to grow leggy rather than compact like my Dad and Nan use to get them
to grow. Has anyone ever tried growing them in both conditions to see what
works best?

I got them standing in the semi dark in the kitchen at the moment but would
love to hear any advice on what is best...

Thank you
Donna

Old 21-08-2008, 12:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Donna Ludlow writes
Hi All

I have brought some hyacinths to hopefully flower indoors over christmas in
my Dad and Nan's memory but after last years growing them in the dark, found
them to grow leggy rather than compact like my Dad and Nan use to get them
to grow. Has anyone ever tried growing them in both conditions to see what
works best?

I got them standing in the semi dark in the kitchen at the moment but would
love to hear any advice on what is best...

Start them off in the dark and bring them into the light as soon as you
have about an inch of shoot poking through.

The logic is that their wild ancestors would have been buried in soil.
But we plant them towards the top of the pot (to maximise soil depth for
the roots) or even in a hyacinth glass, so we simulate the soil by
starting them in the dark. But as soon as they have any shoot, they need
the light in order photosynthesise and grow.

If you start them in the light, allegedly they develop shoot at the
expense of root, and keel over and collapse later on.
--
Kay
Old 21-08-2008, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/8/08 10:48, in article , "Donna
Ludlow" wrote:

Hi All

I have brought some hyacinths to hopefully flower indoors over christmas in
my Dad and Nan's memory but after last years growing them in the dark, found
them to grow leggy rather than compact like my Dad and Nan use to get them
to grow. Has anyone ever tried growing them in both conditions to see what
works best?

I got them standing in the semi dark in the kitchen at the moment but would
love to hear any advice on what is best...

Thank you
Donna

Do you get the specially prepared bulbs, Donna? (If you do, don't touch
them then your skin. There's something on them that is an irritant to a lot
of people) But the RHS has some info on the prepared bulbs:
http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile...dhyacinths.asp

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Dark morning after a light rain-just a little morning glory - DSC_0014.JPG joevan[_2_] Garden Photos 1 10-08-2007 08:36 PM
forcing hyacinths Emrys Davies United Kingdom 1 20-12-2004 09:36 AM
an old bulb forcing faq Kay Lancaster Gardening 0 22-10-2003 11:12 PM
Bulb forcing gary Gardening 1 22-10-2003 01:32 PM
Forcing Many Bulbs indoors MC Gardening 0 26-09-2003 05:42 PM