Old 28-08-2008, 03:58 AM
Registered User

Question Please help me to identify these plants.

Photos 5819 & 5820

Photos 5840 & 5837

Photos 5843 & 5842

Many thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Please help me to identify these plants.-dscn5819.jpg   Please help me to identify these plants.-dscn5820.jpg   Please help me to identify these plants.-dscn5840.jpg   Please help me to identify these plants.-dscn5837.jpg   Please help me to identify these plants.-dscn5843.jpg

Please help me to identify these plants.-dscn5842.jpg
Old 28-08-2008, 10:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Please help me to identify these plants.

Hibiscus writes

Photos 5819 & 5820

Photos 5840 & 5837

Photos 5843 & 5842

Echium (sea holly relative) - don't know species/variety
Japanese anemone

And ?Tagetes

Many thanks!

|Filename: DSCN5842.JPG |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=10067|
|Filename: DSCN5843.JPG |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=10066|
|Filename: DSCN5837.JPG |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=10065|
|Filename: DSCN5820.JPG |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=10063|
|Filename: DSCN5819.JPG |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=10062|
|Filename: DSCN5840.JPG |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=10064|

Kay
Old 28-08-2008, 10:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/8/08 10:24, in article , "K"
wrote:

Hibiscus writes

Photos 5819 & 5820

Photos 5840 & 5837

Photos 5843 & 5842

Echium (sea holly relative) - don't know species/variety

Are you sure about Echium, Kay? I associate that with the very tall spires
of flowers we see in e.g. Tresco or sheltered gardens here. I thought it
was Eryngium.

Japanese anemone

And ?Tagetes

Many thanks!

|Filename: DSCN5842.JPG |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=10067|
|Filename: DSCN5843.JPG |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=10066|
|Filename: DSCN5837.JPG |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=10065|
|Filename: DSCN5820.JPG |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=10063|
|Filename: DSCN5819.JPG |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=10062|
|Filename: DSCN5840.JPG |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=10064|

Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

Old 28-08-2008, 11:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
On 28/8/08 10:24, in article , "K"
wrote:

Hibiscus writes

Photos 5819 & 5820

Photos 5840 & 5837

Photos 5843 & 5842

Echium (sea holly relative) - don't know species/variety

Are you sure about Echium, Kay? I associate that with the very tall spires
of flowers we see in e.g. Tresco or sheltered gardens here. I thought it
was Eryngium.

Sea holly is a species of Eryngium (some people expand the term to the
whole genus), so I think we can assume that Echium was a thinko for
Eryngium.

Japanese anemone

And ?Tagetes

I'd like to see scale, habit and foliage, and even then might well not
be sure (it seems to be a "double", which doesn't help identification),
but Tagetes seems more plausible than Zinnia.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 28-08-2008, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Sacha writes
On 28/8/08 10:24, in article , "K"
wrote:

Echium (sea holly relative) - don't know species/variety

Are you sure about Echium, Kay? I associate that with the very tall spires
of flowers we see in e.g. Tresco or sheltered gardens here. I thought it
was Eryngium.

Eryngium was what was in my brain, it just wasn't what came out of my
fingers!

--
Kay
Old 29-08-2008, 10:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Hibiscus
writes

How do you differentiate "sea holly vs thistle"???

Sacha has inferred that you mean globe thistle (Echinops) rather than
all the other plants known as thistles, which makes sense as it is
Echinops that shares with Eryngium the trait of globular flower heads.
Another plant with a similar jizz is teasel (Dipsacus).

I tell Eryngium from Echinops by jizz (they don't look the same), but
that won't help you.

Eryngium is an atypical umbellifer, and Echinops an atypical composite.
This means that Echinops has fused anthers, but that won't help you,
unless you carry around a high-power hand lens.

Looking at my image files, Eryngium has a whorl of bracts below the
capitulum, while these are lacking from the capitulescence of Echinops
(part of what is atypical for Echinops as a composite is that the
capitulum is reduced to a single flower - even wall lettuce has five
flowers in a capitulum - and the capitula are arranged into globular
heads.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 29-08-2008, 10:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
On 28/8/08 10:24, in article , "K"
wrote:

[...]

I thought Tagetes until I saw the simple leaf, then I thought Zinnia, so I
support Sacha.
I agree on Eryngium cv and Japanese Anemone 'Honorine Jobert'.

Spider