Old 07-09-2008, 11:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Propagating Horsetail

I have a slightly unusual horsetail problem.

Our local nature reserve has some wood horsetail, which is quite common,
but not around here, so for us it's quite special.

Unfortunately, it's growing in a area where it might be vulnerable.

How would we got about transplanting some of it to a safer place?
--
Kay
Old 08-09-2008, 12:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 7/9/08 23:54, in article , "K"
wrote:

I have a slightly unusual horsetail problem.

Our local nature reserve has some wood horsetail, which is quite common,
but not around here, so for us it's quite special.

Unfortunately, it's growing in a area where it might be vulnerable.

How would we got about transplanting some of it to a safer place?

Form an orderly queue.......... ;-))
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 08-09-2008, 08:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote after...
"K" wrote:

I have a slightly unusual horsetail problem.

Our local nature reserve has some wood horsetail, which is quite common,
but not around here, so for us it's quite special.

Unfortunately, it's growing in a area where it might be vulnerable.

How would we got about transplanting some of it to a safer place?

Form an orderly queue.......... ;-))

Quite! I can't imagine why anyone would want to plant the stuff having had
it on our last allotment. However whilst in the Pas de Calais last week we
went to the Blockhaus at Eperlecques where the Nazis put together the V2
rockets and where, in the woods, there were clumps of a much larger
Horsetail up to 3ft tall which did look rather good (in that setting!).
If anyone goes to N. France I can recommend the Blockhaus, it hasn't been
sanitised like La Caupole and is by far the more sinister and thought
provoking because of that.

K, if you must plant it just dig up some roots and you will have it for
ever.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 08-09-2008, 11:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 8, 8:43 am, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
"Sacha" wrote after...

"K" wrote:

[...]

Equisetum telmateia can be 3 feet or more tall. In Ireland it is
widespread. You get it in damp banks (e.g. stream banks) and verges.
E.hyemale and E.variegatum are very decorative and you see them (or
something similar) cultivated in ponds. E.sylvaticum (the one K is
talking about) is found in woods (surprise surprise :-) but I do not
know it. E.arvense is the invasive weed. The rest are probably
harmless. Des

Old 08-09-2008, 12:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message
I have a slightly unusual horsetail problem.

Our local nature reserve has some wood horsetail, which is quite common,
but not around here, so for us it's quite special.

Unfortunately, it's growing in a area where it might be vulnerable.

How would we got about transplanting some of it to a safer place?

Well if you can find a method that "doesn't" work please tell the world
about it?

--
Chris.
Drink is the curse of the land. It makes you fight with your neighbor.It

Old 08-09-2008, 03:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote:

[...]

ooops badly phrased;
they are probably all harmless except the common one (E.arvense)
Old 08-09-2008, 03:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Des Higgins writes

Equisetum telmateia can be 3 feet or more tall. In Ireland it is
widespread. You get it in damp banks (e.g. stream banks) and verges.
E.hyemale and E.variegatum are very decorative and you see them (or
something similar) cultivated in ponds. E.sylvaticum (the one K is
talking about) is found in woods (surprise surprise :-) but I do not
know it. E.arvense is the invasive weed. The rest are probably
harmless. Des

Equisetum sylvaticum differs from the more usual horsetail in that the
branches are themselves branched, so instead of the usual bottlebrush
effect, the overall look is very light and feathery. It's growing on a
steam bank in amongst rosebay willowherb.

--
Kay
Old 08-09-2008, 08:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message

Equisetum sylvaticum differs from the more usual horsetail in that the
branches are themselves branched, so instead of the usual bottlebrush
effect, the overall look is very light and feathery. It's growing on a
steam bank in amongst rosebay willowherb.

Kay, I'm sure that (however unlikely) you've made a typo.

If you haven't, tell me, is 'steam bank' peculiar to your parish?

Mary

Old 08-09-2008, 08:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 8, 3:45*pm, K wrote:
Des Higgins writes

Equisetum telmateia can be 3 feet or more tall. *In Ireland it is
widespread. *You get it in damp banks (e.g. stream banks) and verges.
E.hyemale and E.variegatum are very decorative and you see them (or
something similar) cultivated in ponds. *E.sylvaticum (the one K is
talking about) is found in woods (surprise surprise :-) but I do not
know it. *E.arvense is the invasive weed. *The rest are probably
harmless. *Des

Equisetum sylvaticum differs from the more usual horsetail in that the
branches are themselves branched, so instead of the usual bottlebrush
effect, the overall look is very light and feathery. It's growing on a
steam bank in amongst rosebay willowherb.

--
Kay

The only remotely helpful (or not) thing that I can remember about
horsetails is that some of them are fussy regarding mineral nutrients
which is why some are patchily distributed. Otherwise, to move some,
I would (naievely and amateurishly) say to dig some up and stick in in
the ground in the new spot. I just read the previous 2 sentences
again and it does not look very helpful. I will have a quick google
but I suspect you have done that already.

Des
Old 08-09-2008, 10:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:
"K" wrote in message

Equisetum sylvaticum differs from the more usual horsetail in that the
branches are themselves branched, so instead of the usual bottlebrush
effect, the overall look is very light and feathery. It's growing on a
steam bank in amongst rosebay willowherb.

Kay, I'm sure that (however unlikely) you've made a typo.

If you haven't, tell me, is 'steam bank' peculiar to your parish?

It's what drives the Chinese Lundry.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Old 08-09-2008, 11:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message

from Des Higgins contains these words:

The only remotely helpful (or not) thing that I can remember about
horsetails is that some of them are fussy regarding mineral nutrients
which is why some are patchily distributed.

Another is that they take-up compounds containing gold.

In areas where there is a lot of gold which is uneconomical to extract,
horsetails are dried and burnt and gold extracted from the ash.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 09-09-2008, 09:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 8, 11:36 pm, Martin wrote:
On Mon, 8 Sep 2008 23:01:57 +0100, Rusty Hinge 2

wrote:
The message

from Des Higgins contains these words:

The only remotely helpful (or not) thing that I can remember about
horsetails is that some of them are fussy regarding mineral nutrients
which is why some are patchily distributed.

Another is that they take-up compounds containing gold.

In areas where there is a lot of gold which is uneconomical to extract,
horsetails are dried and burnt and gold extracted from the ash.

That's a cunning trick to make people dig it up and burn it. )

Well spotted that man :-)

--

Martin

Old 09-09-2008, 10:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Des Higgins writes
On Sep 8, 3:45*pm, K wrote:
Des Higgins writes

[...]

Of course! Reference to propagation by spores or rhizomes, but can't
find a lot of detail - eg how big a chunk is likely to be viable, what
sort of site should I be looking for. The original clump is not so large
that I can experiment endlessly.
--
Kay
Old 09-09-2008, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , K
writes
I have a slightly unusual horsetail problem.

Our local nature reserve has some wood horsetail, which is quite
common, but not around here, so for us it's quite special.

Unfortunately, it's growing in a area where it might be vulnerable.

How would we got about transplanting some of it to a safer place?

As a small boy I lost interest in horsetail when I discovered that after
pulling it apart, it could not be reassembled. :-(
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply