Old 09-09-2008, 09:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
bm bm is offline

Default Mini Cyclamen

I am looking for advice in keeping mini cyclamen over the winter
Will they survive in the open during winter. I live in Pitlochry Perthshire
Or should I keep them in my unheated greenhouse?
Blair

Old 09-09-2008, 04:59 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm View Post
I am looking for advice in keeping mini cyclamen over the winter
Will they survive in the open during winter. I live in Pitlochry Perthshire
Or should I keep them in my unheated greenhouse?
Blair

If you mean the little cyclamen sold as houseplants, then probably no, unless you have a very sheltered corner. Ours live out in the summer and come into an unheated greenhouse in the autumn, with brief visits to the house when they come into flower.

The species cyclamen [coum, and so on] are surprisingly hardy and can survive quite low temperatures, so will be fine. None of them like being waterlogged.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "bm" contains these words:

I am looking for advice in keeping mini cyclamen over the winter
Will they survive in the open during winter. I live in Pitlochry Perthshire
Or should I keep them in my unheated greenhouse?

Depends on whether they are a hardy variety or not. That sounds an
obvious sort of thing to say, but what were they bought as? (Or, were
they acquired as outdoor plants?)

My small cyclamen have survived for many years: indeed, they were
present when I moved in.

I suggest you allow them to seed. Mine 'do an ostrich' when pollinated
and developing, and plant themselves. Then, before hard frost hits the
parents, dig them up and store them in slightly damp peat or sand in a
frost-free plave over winter.

Keep an eye on the patch, and see what happens to the seeds the next
winter. If I know Pitlochry (and I do!) you will get enough frost to
'run' the experiment.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 10-09-2008, 03:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
bm bm is offline

"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in message
k...
[...]

Many thanks for your advice. They were a present and the details given do
not mention whether they are house plants or not so I had better assume they
are house plants
Blair

Old 10-09-2008, 08:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "bm" contains these words:

Many thanks for your advice. They were a present and the details given do
not mention whether they are house plants or not so I had better
assume they
are house plants

They will seed.

Allow the seed-head to bury itself, preferably in a separate pot of
moist compost, and you'll have as many new plants as seed-heads - I've
only ever noticed single plants growing from them.

Mark its position and leave one out over winter (maybe it'll have to be
that of 2009) and see if it survives.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Cyclamen with a monkey on my patio. - Cyclamen 2toneMonkeyDSC01300.JPG (1/1) Wendy7 Garden Photos 2 01-03-2011 12:07 AM
Cyclamen with a monkey on my patio. - Cyclamen 2toneMonkeyDSC01300.JPG (0/1) Wendy7 Garden Photos 1 28-02-2011 11:55 PM
Cyclamen Notes paghat Gardening 3 15-03-2003 08:08 PM
Winter Flowering Cyclamen Peter Donovan United Kingdom 17 14-03-2003 08:53 AM
cyclamen Marley1372 Gardening 2 22-02-2003 09:15 AM