Old 11-09-2008, 06:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Very weird question about compost

In article ,
Rusty Hinge 2 writes:
| |
| | However, it requires treatment before it gets to the kidneys - I dislike
| | nearly all white wines. Treated with ginned (or white-rummed) sloes, it
| | becomes passable.¹
| |
| | ¹ After processing by the kidneys, of course!
|
| You consume it after the kidney treatment? As with the reported way
| that some people use Amanita muscaria?
|
| Now did I say that?

No, but it was much funnier the way I first misread it :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 11-09-2008, 07:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 08:40:02 -0700 (PDT), "Cat(h)"
wrote:

On Sep 11, 4:17*pm, Broadback wrote:
Jonathan wrote:
Make vinegar out of it by exposing it to the air.

Jonathan

Cat(H) you must have very educated taste buds, I've yet to find a wine I
can't drink! ;-)

Maybe so. Be my guest if you wish to collect ;-)
Seriously, though. You can't cook with bad wine, you can't present it
to friends or risk losing them, you can't give it to your enemy or
risk making him/her a far deadlier one, I don't subscribe to home brew
- probably because any I have ever had to be polite enough to sample
was absolutely goddawful, and because where I come from, wine is made
with grapes by people who know their business (i.e., not me, nor, from
my experience, too many homebrewers). My expertise is in the
drinking.
At this stage, it seems my pouring it over the compost heap will be of
limited value to the said heap - though probably not detrimental
either. So, it's a toss up whether I'll do that, or whether I'll
simply let it down the drain - which was what I was hoping not to
do.
The determining factor will be just how much rain is pouring this week
end when I go about clearing up the kitchen, and just how soggy the
lawn...

Cat(h)

Seriously describe it on freecycle and someone will enjoy it!
--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Old 11-09-2008, 08:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from mogga contains these words:

/plonque/

Seriously describe it on freecycle and someone will enjoy it!

Troo.

Someone in UKRM put a heap of old junk (a motorcycle) on fleabay, with
photo, and listing all its defects, and stating that anyone who put in a
bid for it would be an idiot.

IIRC he sold it for something into three figures...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 11-09-2008, 09:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Rusty Hinge 2 writes:

| Verily, I will put you up for inclusion in the ranks of Honorary Sheddi...

I have been known to visit, and describe my collection of, er, things.
Not to say, occasionally use a bit of sheddi in speech and postings.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 12-09-2008, 08:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 20:33:38 +0100, Rusty Hinge 2
wrote:

The message
from mogga contains these words:

/plonque/

Seriously describe it on freecycle and someone will enjoy it!

Troo.

Someone in UKRM put a heap of old junk (a motorcycle) on fleabay, with
photo, and listing all its defects, and stating that anyone who put in a
bid for it would be an idiot.

IIRC he sold it for something into three figures...

People give away piles of rubble on ours regularly. And I got rid of a
broken sewing machine quite easily.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jonathan wrote:
[...]

We have an equivalent of freecycle here, and I have used it very
successfully over the years to recycle old doors we didn't need, tiles
at the end of a job which the store they were bought from would only
take back to dump, and lots of other bits and bobs. It's the best way
to declutter, and give stuff a second life.
But this stuff is really not drinkable, full stop. I love my wine, I
know a tiny bit about it, and I would not give this to a human being,
no matter how dark the schemes I may harbour about them.
At this stage, it is bound for the sink over the week end, as it seems
obvious it will have no beneficial effect on the compost heap, so
there is little point in pouring it on.

Thanks again to all!
Cat(h)

Old 12-09-2008, 10:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/9/08 09:20, in article
, "Cat(h)"

Jonathan wrote:
[...]

Had you thought of putting it in a cardboard box somewhere with a note on it
"please help yourself"? People sometimes do that with plants round here if
they've had a garden clear out!
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 12-09-2008, 03:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from mogga contains these words:

/freecycle/

People give away piles of rubble on ours regularly. And I got rid of a
broken sewing machine quite easily.

Sewing machines are a mine of useful bits and pieces for making gadgets
and contraptions.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Old 12-09-2008, 04:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 10, 8:36*pm, Rusty Hinge 2
wrote:

Bring it round here and I'll lay it down for future use. *ANY* wine can
be fettled to make it passable.

Hello handsome! You know what I did one xmas - I had half a dozen
bottles, passable which means ok in lassagna sauce, I took the labels
off, made some new labels with figure ground of european cities, gave
them silly names, glued the new labels on and offered them to friends.
Apparently, it was the best wine they ever had and I enjoyed the
activity very much )
Old 12-09-2008, 07:57 PM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Sacha[_3_

Had you thought of putting it in a cardboard box somewhere with a note on it
"please help yourself"? People sometimes do that with plants round here if
they've had a garden clear out!
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon
"health advice to women" (taken from a forum I inhabit)

Do you have feelings of inadequacy?
Do you suffer from shyness?
Do you sometimes wish you were more assertive?

If you answered yes to any of these questions, ask your doctor or pharmacist about White Wine.

White Wine is the safe, natural way to feel better and more confident about yourself and your actions. White Wine can help ease you out of your shyness and let you tell the world that you're ready and willing to do just about anything.

You will notice the benefits of White Wine almost immediately and with a regimen of regular doses you can overcome any obstacles that prevent you from living the life you want to live.

Shyness and awkwardness will be a thing of the past and you will discover many talents you never knew you had. Stop hiding and start living, with White Wine. White Wine may not be right for everyone. Women who are pregnant or nursing should not use White Wine. However, women who wouldn't mind nursing or becoming pregnant are encouraged to try it.

Side effects may include dizziness, nausea, vomiting, incarceration, erotic lustfulness, loss of motor control, loss of clothing, loss of money, loss of virginity, delusions of grandeur, table dancing, headache, dehydration, dry mouth, and a desire to sing Karaoke and play all-night rounds of Strip Poker, Truth Or Dare, and Naked Twister.

WARNING:

The consumption of White Wine may make you think you are whispering when you are not.

WARNING:

The consumption of White Wine may cause you to tell your friends over and over again that you love them.

WARNING:

The consumption of White Wine may cause you to think you can sing.

WARNING:

The consumption of White Wine may lead you to believe that ex-lovers are really dying for you to telephone them at four in the morning.

WARNING:

The consumption of White Wine may make you think you can logically converse with members of the opposite sex without spitting.

WARNING:

The consumption of White Wine may create the illusion that you are tougher, smarter, faster and better looking than most people

NOW JUST IMAGINE WHAT YOU COULD ACHIEVE WITH RED WINE!!!

:-)
Old 13-09-2008, 04:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Martin contains these words:
On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 15:59:52 +0100, Rusty Hinge 2
wrote:
The message
from mogga contains these words:

/freecycle/

People give away piles of rubble on ours regularly. And I got rid of a
broken sewing machine quite easily.

Sewing machines are a mine of useful bits and pieces for making gadgets
and contraptions.

The local sewing machine place reckons that for a mere EUR400 they
might be able
to rearrange the bits in my missus's broken sewing machine to make a working
one.

Pity I didn't read this earlier, but it may yet not be too late:

Neighbour had a gridge sale today, and there was a (reputedly)
functional eclectic sewing machine - 'Offers'.

Want me to ask how much?

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig