Old 10-09-2008, 01:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Very weird question about compost

Ok, this is going to sound totally off the wall, but the question is
genuine.
I have a few bottles of really, really bad wine in the house, gifts
from the uninformed, and nasty prizes from pub quizzes.
Anyhoo. I can recycle the bottles, but I hate to just pour the wine
down the drain if there is any other use I can put it to. It is truly
too awful to cook with - take my word for it. Then, suddenly, I
thought: "what about pouring it onto the compost heap?"
Is there any reason why I shouldn't? More to the point, would it have
any benefit in terms of accelerating the composting process? Are
slightly sozzled earth worms and other creepy crawlies more efficient
breaker downers of organic material?
Enquiring minds want to know...
:-)
TIA
Cat(h)
Old 10-09-2008, 02:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Cat(h) wrote:
Ok, this is going to sound totally off the wall, but the question is
genuine.
I have a few bottles of really, really bad wine in the house, gifts
from the uninformed, and nasty prizes from pub quizzes.
Anyhoo. I can recycle the bottles, but I hate to just pour the wine
down the drain if there is any other use I can put it to.

You could offer it as prizes on the next school jumble sale with bottle
tombola. Obviously you don't want to attend in case you win it back again.

dan
Old 10-09-2008, 02:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Cat(h)" writes:

| I have a few bottles of really, really bad wine in the house, gifts
| from the uninformed, and nasty prizes from pub quizzes.
| Then, suddenly, I
| thought: "what about pouring it onto the compost heap?"
| Is there any reason why I shouldn't?

No. There are plenty of bacteria that will break it down.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 10-09-2008, 02:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

"Cat(h)" writes
Ok, this is going to sound totally off the wall, but the question is
genuine.
I have a few bottles of really, really bad wine in the house, gifts
from the uninformed, and nasty prizes from pub quizzes.
Anyhoo. I can recycle the bottles, but I hate to just pour the wine
down the drain if there is any other use I can put it to. It is truly
too awful to cook with - take my word for it. Then, suddenly, I
thought: "what about pouring it onto the compost heap?"
Is there any reason why I shouldn't? More to the point, would it have
any benefit in terms of accelerating the composting process? Are
slightly sozzled earth worms and other creepy crawlies more efficient
breaker downers of organic material?
Enquiring minds want to know...

Why don't you use it in slug traps and wasp traps?

Might also work as a windowlene substitute.

I don't think it would be fairly neutral in terms of its effect on the
compost.

--
Kay
Old 10-09-2008, 03:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 10, 2:11*pm, Dan Smithers wrote:
Cat(h) wrote:
Ok, this is going to sound totally off the wall, but the question is
genuine.
I have a few bottles of really, really bad wine in the house, gifts
from the uninformed, and nasty prizes from pub quizzes.
Anyhoo. *I can recycle the bottles, but I hate to just pour the wine
down the drain if there is any other use I can put it to. *

You could offer it as prizes on the next school jumble sale with bottle
tombola. Obviously you don't want to attend in case you win it back again..

dan

Believe me, I value my little community too much to commit such
neighbourly suicide!

Cat(h)

Old 10-09-2008, 03:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 10, 2:11*pm, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
In article ,"Cat(h)" writes:

| I have a few bottles of really, really bad wine in the house, gifts
| from the uninformed, and nasty prizes from pub quizzes.
| Then, suddenly, I
| thought: "what about pouring it onto the compost heap?"
| Is there any reason why I shouldn't?

No. *There are plenty of bacteria that will break it down.

That's its destination, then.
Ta muchly.

Cat(h)

Old 10-09-2008, 03:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 10, 2:26*pm, K wrote:
"Cat(h)" writes

Ok, this is going to sound totally off the wall, but the question is
genuine.
I have a few bottles of really, really bad wine in the house, gifts
from the uninformed, and nasty prizes from pub quizzes.
Anyhoo. *I can recycle the bottles, but I hate to just pour the wine
down the drain if there is any other use I can put it to. *It is truly
too awful to cook with - take my word for it. *Then, suddenly, I
thought: "what about pouring it onto the compost heap?"
Is there any reason why I shouldn't? *More to the point, would it have
any benefit in terms of accelerating the composting process? *Are
slightly sozzled earth worms and other creepy crawlies more efficient
breaker downers of organic material?
Enquiring minds want to know...

Why don't you use it in slug traps and wasp traps?

I've always thought life was too short for slug traps...
As to wasp traps, I just don't agree with trapping wasps.
Either would be intolerable cruelty to animals - this is really,
really appalling painstripper.

Might also work as a windowlene substitute.

Gasp.

I don't think it would be fairly neutral in terms of its effect on the
compost.

So... you think it would be good or bad?

Cat(h)

Old 10-09-2008, 04:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

"Cat(h)" writes

Why don't you use it in slug traps and wasp traps?

I've always thought life was too short for slug traps...
As to wasp traps, I just don't agree with trapping wasps.

Agree with you on both of those.

Might also work as a windowlene substitute.

Gasp.

.... on the principle that a little bit of vinegar in water works well on
windows.

I don't think it would be fairly neutral in terms of its effect on the
compost.

So... you think it would be good or bad?

I don't think it'd make any difference either way. Ah - see your
problem - the 'don't' shouldn't have been in my previous post
--
Kay
Old 10-09-2008, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 10, 4:52*pm, K wrote:
"Cat(h)" writes

Why don't you use it in slug traps and wasp traps?

I've always thought life was too short for slug traps...
As to wasp traps, I just don't agree with trapping wasps.

Agree with you on both of those.

Might also work as a windowlene substitute.

Gasp.

... on the principle that a little bit of vinegar in water works well on
windows.

This stuff might melt the putty.

I don't think it would be fairly neutral in terms of its effect on the
compost.

So... you think it would be good or bad?

I don't think it'd make any difference either way. Ah *- *see your
problem - the 'don't' shouldn't have *been in my previous post

Ta - now I get you :-)

Cat(h)
Old 10-09-2008, 05:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes

In article ,
"Cat(h)" writes:

| I have a few bottles of really, really bad wine in the house, gifts
| from the uninformed, and nasty prizes from pub quizzes.
| Then, suddenly, I
| thought: "what about pouring it onto the compost heap?"
| Is there any reason why I shouldn't?

No. There are plenty of bacteria that will break it down.

While I'm sure that bacteria will break it down, what about the issue of
interim toxicity with regards to the invertebrate fauna of the heap?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 10-09-2008, 05:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 10, 5:21*pm, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:
In message , Nick Maclaren
writes

In article ,
"Cat(h)" writes:

| I have a few bottles of really, really bad wine in the house, gifts
| from the uninformed, and nasty prizes from pub quizzes.
| Then, suddenly, I
| thought: "what about pouring it onto the compost heap?"
| Is there any reason why I shouldn't?

No. *There are plenty of bacteria that will break it down.

While I'm sure that bacteria will break it down, what about the issue of
interim toxicity with regards to the invertebrate fauna of the heap?

I could have the ISPCA on my back.

Cat(h)
Old 10-09-2008, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 10, 5:21*pm, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:
In message , Nick Maclaren
writes

In article ,
"Cat(h)" writes:

| I have a few bottles of really, really bad wine in the house, gifts
| from the uninformed, and nasty prizes from pub quizzes.
| Then, suddenly, I
| thought: "what about pouring it onto the compost heap?"
| Is there any reason why I shouldn't?

No. *There are plenty of bacteria that will break it down.

While I'm sure that bacteria will break it down, what about the issue of
interim toxicity with regards to the invertebrate fauna of the heap?

Hmmm. I could have the ISPCA on my back.

Cat(h)
Old 10-09-2008, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 10, 5:46*pm, "Cat(h)" wrote:
On Sep 10, 5:21*pm, Stewart Robert Hinsley

wrote:
In message , Nick Maclaren
writes

In article ,
"Cat(h)" writes:

| I have a few bottles of really, really bad wine in the house, gifts
| from the uninformed, and nasty prizes from pub quizzes.
| Then, suddenly, I
| thought: "what about pouring it onto the compost heap?"
| Is there any reason why I shouldn't?

No. *There are plenty of bacteria that will break it down.

While I'm sure that bacteria will break it down, what about the issue of
interim toxicity with regards to the invertebrate fauna of the heap?

Hmmm. *I could have the ISPCA on my back.

Cat(h)- Hide quoted text -

So good they name it twice. Ah, the joys of Google groups.

Cat(h)
Old 10-09-2008, 06:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes:
| In article ,
| "Cat(h)" writes:
| |
| | I have a few bottles of really, really bad wine in the house, gifts
| | from the uninformed, and nasty prizes from pub quizzes.
| | Then, suddenly, I
| | thought: "what about pouring it onto the compost heap?"
| | Is there any reason why I shouldn't?
|
| No. There are plenty of bacteria that will break it down.
|
| While I'm sure that bacteria will break it down, what about the issue of
| interim toxicity with regards to the invertebrate fauna of the heap?

Minor, unless you put industrial amounts of alcohol on the heap.
Natural concentrations of up to 5% are common, and local ones or
more aren't rare. Anyway, bacteria will break down their corpses
fast enough, and that's the way things turn into humus anyway ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Cat(h)" contains these words:

Ok, this is going to sound totally off the wall, but the question is
genuine.
I have a few bottles of really, really bad wine in the house, gifts
from the uninformed, and nasty prizes from pub quizzes.

Commiz.

Anyhoo. I can recycle the bottles, but I hate to just pour the wine
down the drain if there is any other use I can put it to.

I save such stuff for blending with other evil brews: this one too
sweet? Mix it with the battery-acid one. Pretty bland liquid? Add it to
the sloes after you've decanted the sloe gin, and allow it to steep. You
can add things like spices and dried orange peel and adjust overacidity
with chalk powder (BPC).

Remember - someone's paid the gummint a lot of duty: it's your duty not
to let them get away with it...

It is truly
too awful to cook with - take my word for it.

Agreed - if you're going to cook with wine, you owe it to the dish to
use a passable wine - not yer Lafite or Haut Brion, but a reasonable
claret or burgundy.

Then, suddenly, I
thought: "what about pouring it onto the compost heap?"

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek!

Is there any reason why I shouldn't?

Yes. (places funnel in mouth and lies down.)

More to the point, would it have
any benefit in terms of accelerating the composting process?

Only having drunk it.

Are
slightly sozzled earth worms and other creepy crawlies more efficient
breaker downers of organic material?

Dead, more like, and if it's as awful as you allege, the word will get
round...

Enquiring minds want to know...

Bring it round here and I'll lay it down for future use. *ANY* wine can
be fettled to make it passable.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig