Old 10-09-2008, 08:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Very weird question about compost

The message
from K contains these words:

Might also work as a windowlene substitute.

Nah! Sticky windows and a wasp and ant magnet.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 10-09-2008, 08:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message

from "Cat(h)" contains these words:

I've always thought life was too short for slug traps...
As to wasp traps, I just don't agree with trapping wasps.
Either would be intolerable cruelty to animals - this is really,
really appalling painstripper.

Might also work as a windowlene substitute.

Gasp.

As well you might!

I don't think it would be fairly neutral in terms of its effect on the
compost.

So... you think it would be good or bad?

*I* think it would be bad - in any quantity anyway, unless, as I
mentioned earlier, you passed it through your kidneys first, in which
case it would make an admirable accelerator.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 10-09-2008, 09:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 10, 8:40*pm, Rusty Hinge 2
wrote:
The message

from "Cat(h)" contains these words:

I've always thought life was too short for slug traps...
As to wasp traps, I just don't agree with trapping wasps.
Either would be intolerable cruelty to animals - this is really,
really appalling painstripper.

Might also work as a windowlene substitute.

Gasp.

As well you might!

I don't think it would be fairly neutral in terms of its effect on the
compost.

So... you think it would be good or bad?

*I* think it would be bad - in any quantity anyway, unless, as I
mentioned earlier, you passed it through your kidneys first, in which
case it would make an admirable accelerator.

Tell you what. You can have five bottles of my best plo... errr...
white wine, and you're more than welcome to come and accelerate my
compost :-)

Cat(h)

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Old 10-09-2008, 10:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article
,
"Cat(h)" writes:

| I have a few bottles of really, really bad wine in the house, gifts
| from the uninformed, and nasty prizes from pub quizzes.
| Then, suddenly, I
| thought: "what about pouring it onto the compost heap?"
| Is there any reason why I shouldn't?

No. There are plenty of bacteria that will break it down.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

There's algae that live on alcohol fumes. It turns the outside of distillery
buildings black.

Old 10-09-2008, 10:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message

from "Cat(h)" contains these words:

Tell you what. You can have five bottles of my best plo... errr...
white wine, and you're more than welcome to come and accelerate my
compost :-)

Where?

However, it requires treatment before it gets to the kidneys - I dislike
nearly all white wines. Treated with ginned (or white-rummed) sloes, it
becomes passable.¹

¹ After processing by the kidneys, of course!

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Old 10-09-2008, 10:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Duncan" writes:

| There's algae that live on alcohol fumes. It turns the outside of distillery
| buildings black.

Hic.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 10-09-2008, 11:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Rusty Hinge 2 writes:
| The message
|
| from "Cat(h)" contains these words:
|
| Tell you what. You can have five bottles of my best plo... errr...
| white wine, and you're more than welcome to come and accelerate my
| compost :-)
|
| Where?
|
| However, it requires treatment before it gets to the kidneys - I dislike
| nearly all white wines. Treated with ginned (or white-rummed) sloes, it
| becomes passable.¹
|
| ¹ After processing by the kidneys, of course!

You consume it after the kidney treatment? As with the reported way
that some people use Amanita muscaria?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 05:58:49 -0700 (PDT), "Cat(h)"
wrote:

Ok, this is going to sound totally off the wall, but the question is
genuine.
I have a few bottles of really, really bad wine in the house, gifts
from the uninformed, and nasty prizes from pub quizzes.
Anyhoo. I can recycle the bottles, but I hate to just pour the wine
down the drain if there is any other use I can put it to. It is truly
too awful to cook with - take my word for it. Then, suddenly, I
thought: "what about pouring it onto the compost heap?"
Is there any reason why I shouldn't? More to the point, would it have
any benefit in terms of accelerating the composting process? Are
slightly sozzled earth worms and other creepy crawlies more efficient
breaker downers of organic material?
Enquiring minds want to know...
:-)
TIA
Cat(h)

You should freecycle it.
--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Old 11-09-2008, 10:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

news
wrote:

[...]

Or distil it!!! Try pouring a bottle into a dish and freezing it. The
unfrozen alcohol may make good sloe gin or the like. I used to make home
wine and several undrinkable concoctions were turned into useful alcohol
that way.

Mike

Old 11-09-2008, 01:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Make vinegar out of it by exposing it to the air.

Jonathan

Old 11-09-2008, 04:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jonathan wrote:
Make vinegar out of it by exposing it to the air.

Jonathan

Cat(H) you must have very educated taste buds, I've yet to find a wine I
can't drink! ;-)
Old 11-09-2008, 04:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 11, 4:17*pm, Broadback wrote:
Jonathan wrote:
Make vinegar out of it by exposing it to the air.

Jonathan

Cat(H) you must have very educated taste buds, I've yet to find a wine I
can't drink! ;-)

Maybe so. Be my guest if you wish to collect ;-)
Seriously, though. You can't cook with bad wine, you can't present it
to friends or risk losing them, you can't give it to your enemy or
risk making him/her a far deadlier one, I don't subscribe to home brew
- probably because any I have ever had to be polite enough to sample
was absolutely goddawful, and because where I come from, wine is made
with grapes by people who know their business (i.e., not me, nor, from
my experience, too many homebrewers). My expertise is in the
drinking.
At this stage, it seems my pouring it over the compost heap will be of
limited value to the said heap - though probably not detrimental
either. So, it's a toss up whether I'll do that, or whether I'll
simply let it down the drain - which was what I was hoping not to
do.
The determining factor will be just how much rain is pouring this week
end when I go about clearing up the kitchen, and just how soggy the
lawn...

Cat(h)
Old 11-09-2008, 05:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Muddymike" contains these words:

You should freecycle it.

Or distil it!!!

Risking a fine od megapounds, andor imprisonment?

Try pouring a bottle into a dish and freezing it. The
unfrozen alcohol may make good sloe gin or the like. I used to make home
wine and several undrinkable concoctions were turned into useful alcohol
that way.

That too is illegal, and in any case, you need to start from very
weakly-flavoured liquor such as cider, as most of the flavour that's
there comes out with the concentrated liquor, and if the original is
undrinkable, the result of 'applejacking' it to a stronger one will be
correspondingly worse.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 11-09-2008, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message

from Jonathan contains these words:

Make vinegar out of it by exposing it to the air.

if it's no good for drinking, then I wouldn't want to use it when
fermented to vinegar.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig