Old 10-09-2008, 02:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Dee Dee is offline

Default Horse Manure

Ed ex@directory wrote in
et:

First time allotment holder, seeking advice...

The local riding stables have left a whole big load of horse
manure outside of our allotment site for folk to use. It is
pretty fresh (great strong pong from it) and it contains only a
moderate amount of straw.

Notwithstanding the warnings I have seen on this list and
elsewhere regarding contamination with weed killers and the like,
how can I beneficially use this stuff?

Can I use this manure straight away on the beds in my plot as a
top mulch and dig it in next spring? Or should I just add it to
my compost bins and let it mature there for, say, a year and then
use it?

Also which plants would benefit from an application of manure? I
seem to recall that root crops don't like recently manured beds?

Ed

Fresh manure can be used as a top mulch, but IME it's very important
to make sure the manure does not directly touch any plants, as it
will cause problems (burning, stunting) otherwise. Top mulching of
the manure allows rain water to seep through it and down to the roots
of the plants, effectively giving them 'manure tea', while the
wormies go to work incorporating it into the soil. It may be that by
next spring there will be nothing left to turn under into the soil,
as the worms will have done it for you. That has been my experience,
anyway.

Dee

Old 11-09-2008, 02:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"Dee" wrote in message

Fresh manure can be used as a top mulch, but IME it's very important
to make sure the manure does not directly touch any plants, as it
will cause problems (burning, stunting) otherwise. Top mulching of
the manure allows rain water to seep through it and down to the roots
of the plants, effectively giving them 'manure tea', while the
wormies go to work incorporating it into the soil. It may be that by
next spring there will be nothing left to turn under into the soil,
as the worms will have done it for you. That has been my experience,
anyway.

Mine too. Bloody good stuff is horse poo, but the Brits have had problems
with weed killers spread on pastures contaminating the poos - it's then gone
on to kill plants in gardens. I don't have this problem in my country and
it appears that the worst thing to do with the weedkiller infested British
horse poo is to pile it and try to 'age' it - the poison apparently doesn't
break down going that route but does if spread.

Old 11-09-2008, 06:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"gunner" wrote in message
access...

"Dee" wrote in message

[...]

I'd like to know who wastes money spreading weed killers in a pasture. That
makes no sense at all.

Old 11-09-2008, 09:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

On 11/9/08 03:45, in article
laccess, "gunner"

"Dee" wrote in message

[...]

"The alert is mainly about a substance called aminopryalid in an
agricultural herbicide called Forefront - although similar substances may be
causing similar effects.

It is a new kind of "hormonal herbicide" * meaning it interferes with the
growth signals of broad-leaved plants like dandelions and docks, so they
shoot up too fast and starve, while the surrounding grass is unaffected.

It has been declared safe to graze cows on treated grass, or on hay and
silage made from treated meadows. The herbicide passes through their systems
more or less undigested. But that means it is present in their manure and
gets into their bedding straw too.

The packaging of Forefront includes warnings about not using affected manure
and straw on vulnerable plants *including tomatoes, potatoes, peas, beans,
carrots, lettuce, delphiniums, phlox and roses. But the warning is not
always passed on.

Forefront was launched three years ago and Britain was the first European
country to use it. Last year, some professional potato growers lost crops
after spreading manure. An emergency education campaign, aimed at livestock
farmers, vegetable growers and spraying and spreading contractors solved
that problem."

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/...re-poison.4209
491.jp
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 11-09-2008, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"Sacha" wrote in message
Forefront was launched three years ago and Britain was the first European
country to use it. Last year, some professional potato growers lost crops
after spreading manure. An emergency education campaign, aimed at
livestock
farmers, vegetable growers and spraying and spreading contractors solved
that problem."

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/...re-poison.4209
491.jp

There goes any manure I might have been able to find.

Old 11-09-2008, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 11/9/08 03:45, in article
laccess, "gunner"
wrote:

"The alert is mainly about a substance called aminopryalid in an
agricultural herbicide called Forefront - although similar substances may
be
causing similar effects.
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

Thank you Sacha. To date doesn't seem to be much info here.

BTW nice plant selections you have.

Gunner, WA State zone 8a

Old 11-09-2008, 07:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"Dee" wrote in message
om...

Ed

Fresh manure can be used as a top mulch, but IME it's very important
to make sure the manure does not directly touch any plants, as it
will cause problems (burning, stunting) otherwise. Top mulching of
the manure allows rain water to seep through it and down to the roots
of the plants, effectively giving them 'manure tea', while the
wormies go to work incorporating it into the soil. It may be that by
next spring there will be nothing left to turn under into the soil,
as the worms will have done it for you. That has been my experience,
anyway.

Dee

I will have to make it clear that in tree biology workshops it was often
stated that manure should compost before using as well as fresh wood chips.

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Old 11-09-2008, 07:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"Sacha" wrote in message
"The alert is mainly about a substance called aminopryalid in an
agricultural herbicide called Forefront - although similar substances may
be
causing similar effects.

Compost manure before using for trees with composted wood chips and leaves
and needles.

Old 11-09-2008, 08:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

The message
from "symplastless" contains these words:

Compost manure before using for trees with composted wood chips and leaves
and needles.

A?

A bit of punctuation might help the above to make sense.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Old 11-09-2008, 09:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

On 11/9/08 18:31, in article
laccess, "gunner"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 11/9/08 03:45, in article
laccess, "gunner"
wrote:

"The alert is mainly about a substance called aminopryalid in an
agricultural herbicide called Forefront - although similar substances may
be
causing similar effects.
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

Thank you Sacha. To date doesn't seem to be much info here.

BTW nice plant selections you have.

Gunner, WA State zone 8a

I hope the extract was helpful and thank you for the kind remark!

Old 12-09-2008, 12:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "symplastless" contains these words:

Compost manure before using for trees with composted wood chips and
leaves
and needles.

A?

A bit of punctuation might help the above to make sense.

--
Rusty

That's the best you get from the yard boy.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in message
from "symplastless" contains these words:

Compost manure before using for trees with composted wood chips and
leaves
and needles.

A?

A bit of punctuation might help the above to make sense.

Don't worry about it Rusty. Symplastless never makes sense and only those
who don't recognise the name ever bother to read him/her.

Old 12-09-2008, 03:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

The message pplyinc
from "D. Staples" contains these words:

-- -----------------
Rusty -----------------

That's the best you get from the yard boy.

And the removal od separators and sigs would be appreciated, granddad.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 12-09-2008, 03:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

The message
from "FarmI" ask@itshall be given contains these words:
"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in message
from "symplastless" contains these words:

Compost manure before using for trees with composted wood chips and
leaves
and needles.

A?

A bit of punctuation might help the above to make sense.

Don't worry about it Rusty. Symplastless never makes sense and only those
who don't recognise the name ever bother to read him/her.

One supposes that his contributions match the (best) scrapings from his yard

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig