Old 17-09-2008, 10:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default electrics to greenhouse

Rusty Hinge 2 wrote:
The message
from Gordon H contains these words:

Insurance companies are clever at finding ways to avoid a payout.

Yes, this is the only reason I could find for not doing the job myself.

Has anyone any actual direct experience of an insurance company
refusing to pay up because there wasn't *paperwork* for an electrical
installation in a domestic property?

--
Chris Green
Old 17-09-2008, 11:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Pete Stockdale writes

"Pete C" wrote in message
Gordon H wrote:
snippy
There is only one safe way to do it. Get a qualified electrician
to lay a preferably armoured cable, that's what I did for an 8ft run
to my garage. It doesn't need to be 3ft deep, but I covered the
cable with small hardcore, then a couple of inches of concrete which
a spade or fork will not penetrate!

snippy

May I suggest you run the armoured cable through something like inch & a
half waste pipe, so cable can be withdrawn if needed,

--

You can also run a water pipe through it - even more essential to plant life
than the leccy !

And also a piece of plastic string, so that if at a later stage you want
to run anything else through it, you can, by tying it (and a replacement
piece of string) on to the string and pulling.
--
Kay
Old 17-09-2008, 02:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message

You can also run a water pipe through it - even more essential to plant
life
than the leccy !

And also a piece of plastic string, so that if at a later stage you want
to run anything else through it, you can, by tying it (and a replacement
piece of string) on to the string and pulling.

Excellent thought.

Phone wire
Gas pipe
Oil pipe ---
all then become easy additions if required later.
I would definitely go for a 4 inch dia. pipe minimum, but would probably opt
for standard underground gauge sewer pipe.

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 17-09-2008, 08:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from K contains these words:

You can also run a water pipe through it - even more essential to
plant life
than the leccy !

And also a piece of plastic string, so that if at a later stage you want
to run anything else through it, you can, by tying it (and a replacement
piece of string) on to the string and pulling.

Nah, just tie another string to the head of the thing you're pulling
through. (One of the authors of silly regulations?)

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 17-09-2008, 08:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Pete Stockdale" contains these words:
"K" wrote in message

You can also run a water pipe through it - even more essential to plant
life
than the leccy !

And also a piece of plastic string, so that if at a later stage you want
to run anything else through it, you can, by tying it (and a replacement
piece of string) on to the string and pulling.

Excellent thought.

Phone wire
Gas pipe
Oil pipe ---
all then become easy additions if required later.
I would definitely go for a 4 inch dia. pipe minimum, but would
probably opt
for standard underground gauge sewer pipe.

However, it is illegal to run gas and electricity through the same
service pipe.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 17-09-2008, 10:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in message
k...

Excellent thought.

Phone wire
Gas pipe
Oil pipe ---
all then become easy additions if required later.
I would definitely go for a 4 inch dia. pipe minimum, but would
probably opt
for standard underground gauge sewer pipe.

However, it is illegal to run gas and electricity through the same
service pipe.

Have to install pipe No 2 then - no prob !

Pete

Old 18-09-2008, 10:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Rusty Hinge
2 writes

However, it is illegal to run gas and electricity through the same
service pipe.

And under the highway and footpaths the conduits are colour coded.
Gas is yellow, water is blue. I can't remember the rest...
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 18-09-2008, 08:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Gordon H contains these words:
In message , Rusty Hinge
2 writes

However, it is illegal to run gas and electricity through the same
service pipe.

And under the highway and footpaths the conduits are colour coded.
Gas is yellow, water is blue. I can't remember the rest...

I think electrickery is black - the cable they laid here this summer
was, anyway.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 19-09-2008, 12:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rusty Hinge 2 wrote:
The message
from contains these words:
Rusty Hinge 2 wrote:
The message
from
contains these words:
Rusty Hinge 2 wrote:
The message
from Gordon H contains these
words:

Insurance companies are clever at finding ways to avoid a payout.

Yes, this is the only reason I could find for not doing the job
myself.

Has anyone any actual direct experience of an insurance company
refusing to pay up because there wasn't *paperwork* for an electrical
installation in a domestic property?

I'll let you look for that.

I'm just naturall mistrustful.

I thought as much, no evidence at all except possible "a bloke down
the pub told me". :-)

You asked has 'anyone any actual direct experience of an insurance
company refusing to pay up because there wasn't paperwork* for an
electrical installation in a domestic property?'

Well, I'm not in receipt of such information, and I don't propose to
spend the rest of my life researching it.

I prefer the easy option of not poking them with a sharp stick.

Ah, but on that basis you might not poke *me* with a sharp stick in
case I sue you for slander or something.

I don't propose to go through life not doing things that *might* *possibly*
go wrong unless anyone can show me some vaguely believable evidence
that something will go wrong.

.... and I wasn't asking only you, there's a big audience here and so
far no on has offered any real case of an insurance company not paying
up because a householder didn't have some electrical test paperwork.

--
Chris Green
Old 20-09-2008, 01:19 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post

.... and I wasn't asking only you, there's a big audience here

Chris Green
I don't know many people who do fancy being poked with a sharp stick, but we are all entitled to express our opinions.

I prefer to play the jobsworths at their own game, what I'd call covering my own butt, so by all means do it yourself. Just be sure you do a sound, safe job.
Then get a friendly sparky to check it over and sign your paper for the price of a couple of pints.

That way everyone is happy.
Old 20-09-2008, 05:45 PM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Perry View Post
I prefer to play the jobsworths at their own game, what I'd call covering my own butt, so by all means do it yourself. Just be sure you do a sound, safe job.
Then get a friendly sparky to check it over and sign your paper for the price of a couple of pints.

That way everyone is happy.
for Info:
1) All outside cable must be protected at source by a RCD (elcb) (this applies to areas using TN-C-S (PME) supplies, for TN-C you will need to check the regs)

2) All cable below arms reach must be in a conduit OR armoured.

3) Underground cable must be in either METAL conduit or armoured

4) It must be buried no shallower than (just) below spade depth AND covered with plastic warning tape. pipes are not required.

5) Armoured cable must be terminated correctly so as the outer steel sheathing is properly earthed (special terminating glands are available to do this easily)

6) The up side is that providing you use XLPE cable then for a 20 amp supply you only need 1.5mm csa cable which is cheaper.

quick pond enquiry re electrics Janet Tweedy United Kingdom 9 29-01-2007 08:01 AM
Pond electrics Steve Ponds 4 18-08-2005 03:29 PM
Pond Electrics Question Will James Ponds 11 04-08-2005 08:12 AM
greenhouse frogs Dave Lockwood Orchids 4 01-04-2003 05:20 PM
Central Illinois Retail Greenhouse, Garden Center, and Nursery Business - For Sale by Owner Eades Greenhouse and Nursery Gardening 0 03-02-2003 09:15 PM