Old 22-09-2008, 09:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Ants in the lawn

"Alan" wrote in message
In message , 'Mike'
wrote

"Astral Voyager" wrote in message
My house was built on the site of an old orchard - so I am well familiar
with ants. I have even had nests inside the house :-(

The best solution to ants I have found is NIPPON Ant Killer Liquid. It
comes in 30ml tubes. It is a sugary solution and contains Borax. It is
not
an instant kill but the foraging ants take it back to the nest and feed
it
to the colony and queen. This destroys the problem at source.

Amazing this year I have been pretty free of ants. I think I have only
seen one trying to sneak through the front door.

--
eBid - The Friendlier Online Auction Site
Free to Bid | Free to List | Free to Enjoy

Thanks a lot for that info. I did the hot water treatment by pouring
boiling
water down the holes I could see. A couple of ants the next day, but none
since. Will get some Nippon next time we are in the Garden Centre and keep
it handy

Why do readers of this group believe that ants in a lawn or a compost heap
are a problem?

I don't worry about ants in the compost heap, but they are a pain in the
lawn as they make anthills!

Alan

Old 22-09-2008, 09:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"alan.holmes" wrote in message

"Alan" wrote in message
[...]

I think you should have let that die Alan, you know what will happen now,
the crowd will be along and make mountains out of your .........

I'll get me coat ;-(

Mike

Old 23-09-2008, 02:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"alan.holmes" wrote in message

I don't worry about ants in the compost heap, but they are a pain in the
lawn as they make anthills!

LOL. Such a comment could only be written by someone who lives in a rain
rich location!

Here, where rain is welcome and much needed, any sign of an anthill being
built means that rain is on it's way and thus cause for celebration.

Old 23-09-2008, 08:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"alan.holmes" wrote in message

I don't worry about ants in the compost heap, but they are a pain in the
lawn as they make anthills!

LOL. Such a comment could only be written by someone who lives in a rain
rich location!

Here, where rain is welcome and much needed, any sign of an anthill being
built means that rain is on it's way and thus cause for celebration.

I don't know where you come from, but here in GB we have weather, which
means it rains most of the time!

Old 25-09-2008, 11:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
S S is offline

I have over the years grown most veg, had flower beds and reasonable lawns.
I have read with interest this thread as over the years (40) I have never
been comfortable with killing pests in the garden.
I am no angel as I have used slug killers etc but then stopped when I saw
the state of their dead bodies.
I also admit to having no passion for them if they enter my house but now
they share the garden with me.
I quite simply feel guilty killing them off outdoors.
Maybe its an age thing who knows.

Just my personal thoughts, and slightly off topic

--

"alan.holmes" wrote in message

"alan.holmes" wrote in message

I don't worry about ants in the compost heap, but they are a pain in the
lawn as they make anthills!

LOL. Such a comment could only be written by someone who lives in a rain
rich location!

Here, where rain is welcome and much needed, any sign of an anthill being
built means that rain is on it's way and thus cause for celebration.

I don't know where you come from, but here in GB we have weather, which
means it rains most of the time!

ants,ants, and more ants, AAAARRRRRRGGGG Paul O. Gardening 9 11-08-2008 08:13 PM
ants in lawn Joe Zorzin Lawns 3 15-07-2003 01:32 AM
ants v Amdro -- ants winning Wayfarer Texas 11 09-04-2003 04:08 PM
Ants, ants and more ants.... Janet Australia 3 05-04-2003 06:36 AM
Ants, ants and more ants.... Janet Australia 5 29-03-2003 03:32 PM