Old 17-09-2008, 11:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Ants in the lawn

Having killed the Moss with weed and feed, a bare patch has now been taken
over with an Ants nest and they are pulling all the earth up and spreading
it around.

HELP. Any suggestions?

Mike for Joan

Old 17-09-2008, 01:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 11:59:12 +0100, "'Mike'"
wrote:

Having killed the Moss with weed and feed, a bare patch has now been taken
over with an Ants nest and they are pulling all the earth up and spreading
it around.

HELP. Any suggestions?

Mike for Joan

Move the lawn to Oldham, they'll all drown.

Just put some grass seed in - the ants were probably happy under all
the moss.
--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Old 17-09-2008, 09:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message

Having killed the Moss with weed and feed, a bare patch has now been taken
over with an Ants nest and they are pulling all the earth up and spreading
it around.

HELP. Any suggestions?

Mike for Joan
--

Plenty of bleach and/or boiling hot water poured over them works well.
Similar to throwing salt over slugs.

Old 17-09-2008, 09:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ian" wrote in message

"'Mike'" wrote in message

Having killed the Moss with weed and feed, a bare patch has now been
taken over with an Ants nest and they are pulling all the earth up and
spreading it around.

HELP. Any suggestions?

Mike for Joan
--

Plenty of bleach and/or boiling hot water poured over them works well.
Similar to throwing salt over slugs.

Thank Ian. We do in fact use the boiling water treatment on the patio but as
this was in the lawn we wondered if anyone had a better remedy. As it
happens, this afternoon I very slowly poured boiling water down the holes
and hey presto it seems to have worked without spoiling the lawn ever
further!!!!

Many thanks again

Old 21-09-2008, 01:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

My house was built on the site of an old orchard - so I am well familiar
with ants. I have even had nests inside the house :-(

The best solution to ants I have found is NIPPON Ant Killer Liquid. It comes
in 30ml tubes. It is a sugary solution and contains Borax. It is not an
instant kill but the foraging ants take it back to the nest and feed it to
the colony and queen. This destroys the problem at source.

Amazing this year I have been pretty free of ants. I think I have only seen
one trying to sneak through the front door.

--
eBid - The Friendlier Online Auction Site
Free to Bid | Free to List | Free to Enjoy

Old 21-09-2008, 03:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Astral Voyager" wrote in message
My house was built on the site of an old orchard - so I am well familiar
with ants. I have even had nests inside the house :-(

The best solution to ants I have found is NIPPON Ant Killer Liquid. It
comes in 30ml tubes. It is a sugary solution and contains Borax. It is not
an instant kill but the foraging ants take it back to the nest and feed it
to the colony and queen. This destroys the problem at source.

Amazing this year I have been pretty free of ants. I think I have only
seen one trying to sneak through the front door.

--
eBid - The Friendlier Online Auction Site
Free to Bid | Free to List | Free to Enjoy
http://uk.three.ebid.net/perl/normal...egister-mainhe

Thanks a lot for that info. I did the hot water treatment by pouring boiling
water down the holes I could see. A couple of ants the next day, but none
since. Will get some Nippon next time we are in the Garden Centre and keep
it handy

Thanks again.

Old 21-09-2008, 05:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , 'Mike'
wrote

[...]

Why do readers of this group believe that ants in a lawn or a compost
heap are a problem?

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com
Old 21-09-2008, 06:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan" wrote in message
In message , 'Mike'
wrote

[...]

From my original posting :-)

Having killed the Moss with weed and feed, a bare patch has now been taken
over with an Ants nest and they are pulling all the earth up and spreading
it around.

HELP. Any suggestions?

Mike for Joan
--

Problem? They are (WERE) spreading the earth about and spoiling the lawn.

OK?

who mentioned compost heaps?????

Old 21-09-2008, 09:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan" wrote in message
In message , 'Mike'
wrote

[...]

I don't know, tbh, I rather admire their "family structure" - a bit similar
to bees and I don't mind sharing some of my garden with them.
If they are coming in the house all you need to do is identify where they
are entering, say under a door, and put a half inch wide line of talcum
powder across it. It does for them every time. This is a tip I got from my
90 yo neighbour and I saw it work for her.

Old 21-09-2008, 10:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/9/08 21:40, in article , "Christina
Websell" wrote:

"Alan" wrote in message
In message , 'Mike'
wrote

[...]

Vim, or similar, works for ants as a circle round their active area. But as
they carry no diseases or painful illnesses/deaths/etc. with them, I am not
bothered by them at all. And I write as one who had two warring nests the
size of two very large soup plates on the dining room carpet one day, moons
ago. Mice and rats - yuk and filth and dangerous. Ants - fascinating.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 21-09-2008, 11:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 21/9/08 21:40, in article , "Christina
Websell" wrote:

"Alan" wrote in message
In message , 'Mike'
wrote

[...]

I would not dream of destroying an ant's nest "because it was ruining my
lawn" What's that about? Where are ants supposed to live? Somewhere we
don't notice them? Sheesh (as the Americans say)
Learn to live with insects is what I say.
Ants are amazing.
Did you know they can even identify a gas leak for you?

Old 22-09-2008, 01:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan" wrote in message

Why do readers of this group believe that ants in a lawn or a compost heap
are a problem?

:-)) Good question.

I find all the wildlife in my garden very interesting and that includes most
of the insects that chomp their way through my best plants. I find it's
best to plant one for me and one for the wildlife and that way we both get
what we want/need.

Old 22-09-2008, 01:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message

Vim, or similar, works for ants as a circle round their active area. But
as
they carry no diseases or painful illnesses/deaths/etc. with them, I am
not
bothered by them at all. And I write as one who had two warring nests the
size of two very large soup plates on the dining room carpet one day,
moons
ago. Mice and rats - yuk and filth and dangerous. Ants - fascinating.

Living on a farm, I get lots of rats and mice and I don't mind them most of
the time. I do object that they bring snakes being as they are fodder for
the snakes. I do object to snakes when they are close to the house but can
live with them out in the paddocks.

I've even found mice in my closed plastic compost bins to be beneficial as
they seem to make the stuff break down quicker by actively mining/turning
it. And rats keep the JRs amused. I put them into the chook pen yesterday
to do a hut but the lazy little sods didn't do a lot. I'm going back in
with them this morning with a pick and I'll start the digging into the rat
holes and then let the Jacks rip.

Old 22-09-2008, 09:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 21/9/08 21:40, in article ,
"Christina
Websell" wrote:

"Alan" wrote in message
In message , 'Mike'
wrote

[...]

Of course it didn't help that I put the question up did it?

:-))

Have a nice day (as the Americans say)

Old 22-09-2008, 01:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 10:09:47 +1000, "FarmI" ask@itshall be given
wrote:

"Alan" wrote in message

Why do readers of this group believe that ants in a lawn or a compost heap
are a problem?

:-)) Good question.

I find all the wildlife in my garden very interesting and that includes most
of the insects that chomp their way through my best plants. I find it's
best to plant one for me and one for the wildlife and that way we both get
what we want/need.

There's nothing better than sitting and watching the ants out foraging
in the sun. They can carry amazing chunks of material about.

We used to be very cruel and nosey when we were kids lifting up the
stone path to see the ants paths and eggs underneath.
--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk

ants,ants, and more ants, AAAARRRRRRGGGG Paul O. Gardening 9 11-08-2008 08:13 PM
ants in lawn Joe Zorzin Lawns 3 15-07-2003 01:32 AM
ants v Amdro -- ants winning Wayfarer Texas 11 09-04-2003 04:08 PM
Ants, ants and more ants.... Janet Australia 3 05-04-2003 06:36 AM
Ants, ants and more ants.... Janet Australia 5 29-03-2003 03:32 PM