Old 17-09-2008, 07:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Polytunnel

At long last we have erected our polytunnel. What we now need to know
is what should we try to grow in it at this time of the year. Is it
worth trying to get anything going this late? We thought we'd try some
garlic. What do you think? Lettuce, winter cabbage?? I'd be pleased
to hear your thoughts.
Johnny
Old 17-09-2008, 07:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sam Sam is offline

Lettuce Pray wrote:
At long last we have erected our polytunnel. What we now need to know
is what should we try to grow in it at this time of the year. Is it
worth trying to get anything going this late? We thought we'd try some
garlic. What do you think? Lettuce, winter cabbage?? I'd be pleased
to hear your thoughts.
Johnny

It's a good time for planting garlic, LP.You can also get treated onion sets
for winter planting.
Late new potatoes [for Christmas] might be worth researching if you're
not too far north, and what about overwintering sweet peas?
Maybe the seedsmen will offer more.No need to send for catalogues, just
go to their websites.
Sam
Old 17-09-2008, 09:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message

from Lettuce Pray contains these words:

At long last we have erected our polytunnel. What we now need to know
is what should we try to grow in it at this time of the year. Is it
worth trying to get anything going this late? We thought we'd try some
garlic. What do you think? Lettuce, winter cabbage?? I'd be pleased
to hear your thoughts.

Can you point me at someone who sells the UVs polythene by the
yar^h^h^h^metre, by any chance?

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 18-09-2008, 06:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

At long last we have erected our polytunnel. What we now need to know
is what should we try to grow in it at this time of the year. Is it
worth trying to get anything going this late? We thought we'd try some
garlic. What do you think? Lettuce, winter cabbage?? *I'd be pleased
to hear your thoughts.

You could try some of the oriental vegies, you can always use them as
leaf for salads, also lettuce. I'd sow Spring cabbage, you can always
use the thinings as greens, then you will have them a git bigger as
collards, then in spring/early summer as cabbage..
If you plant onion sets remember you can always pull them young as
salad onions, and you can always use the garlic when it's long and
green.
You will have to keep it well ventilated or the humidity will play
hell with your plants.
Go for new potatoes, even if you cant get any for Xmas, you can plant
in Feb for first early, but do use first early seed potatoes.
Look for short growing season crops.
You could even try early carrots, and dont forger radish, as well as
the root you can cook the tops as green.
Have fun
David Hill
Old 18-09-2008, 07:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks to you all for your replies. Very helpful. Sorry Rusty don't
know, but you could try First Tunnels?
Johnny

Old 18-09-2008, 07:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Rusty Hinge 2 writes:

| Can you point me at someone who sells the UVs polythene by the
| yar^h^h^h^metre, by any chance?

LBS. http://www.lbs-horticulture.co.uk. I can recommend them as
good value and they have always been efficient for me. Sorry I
missed this one before.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 18-09-2008, 09:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message

from Lettuce Pray contains these words:

Thanks to you all for your replies. Very helpful. Sorry Rusty don't
know, but you could try First Tunnels?

Will look, but this Vogonfone broadband dongle (Lite) is running out of
MBs and/or time this month.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 18-09-2008, 09:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message

LBS.
http://www.lbs-horticulture.co.uk. I can recommend them as
good value and they have always been efficient for me. Sorry I
missed this one before.

Thanks. Will look.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 19-09-2008, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in message
k...
The message

from Lettuce Pray contains these words:

At long last we have erected our polytunnel. What we now need to know
is what should we try to grow in it at this time of the year. Is it
worth trying to get anything going this late? We thought we'd try some
garlic. What do you think? Lettuce, winter cabbage?? I'd be pleased
to hear your thoughts.

Can you point me at someone who sells the UVs polythene by the
yar^h^h^h^metre, by any chance?

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Hi Rusty

after extensive research some weeks ago this was the best I came up with.

http://www.allplas.co.uk/acatalog/Ul..._Sheeting.html

H T H

David

Old 20-09-2008, 08:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "david sutcliffe" contains these words:
"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in message
k...

Can you point me at someone who sells the UVs polythene by the
yar^h^h^h^metre, by any chance?

Hi Rusty

after extensive research some weeks ago this was the best I came up with.

http://www.allplas.co.uk/acatalog/Ul..._Sheeting.html

H T H

Thanks - probably will - today I thought: "Atlantic Superstore! They're
bound to keep it, and they deliver..."

Phoned them.

They don't.

Monday I shall try Farmbits in Wymondham. if that's no good, then it's
down to some serious wwwebbing.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig