Old 01-10-2008, 07:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Honey fungus panic!

The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

When I pick a mushroom (for mushroom, read anything with a cap atop a
stipe) and it has uninvited guests in it, I put it gills-down (or
tubes-down) in a likely place, either in the garden, or under a tree
with which it associates, just in the hope of having 'similar
problems'...

I've tried that. It's never worked.

I started cooking the uninvited guests along with the mushrooms, no-one
would know. Even I forget by the time I'm eating them.

It's not recommended. Whatever mushrooms have been, the products of
decay and the visitors' leavings *MIGHT* develop into dangerous
alkaloids.

This isn't my theory, but advice from eminent mycologists.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 01-10-2008, 07:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from K contains these words:

Dunno about the ground, but treat the caps with boiling spiced vinegar
with a touch of sea salt, after soaking them and discarding the slimy
water.

Bottle, and seal.

But only if you are sure that it is indeed honey fungus.

Naturally.

Unless you are really that unobservant that you are unable to
distinguish between honey fungus and sulphur tuft, there isn't anything
poisonous you could confuse it with. Even sulphur tuft is bitter rather
than (as some books report) poisonous, and you might find shaggy
pholiota a tad chewy...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 02-10-2008, 09:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

When I pick a mushroom (for mushroom, read anything with a cap atop a
stipe) and it has uninvited guests in it, I put it gills-down (or
tubes-down) in a likely place, either in the garden, or under a tree
with which it associates, just in the hope of having 'similar
problems'...

I've tried that. It's never worked.

I started cooking the uninvited guests along with the mushrooms, no-one
would know. Even I forget by the time I'm eating them.

It's not recommended. Whatever mushrooms have been, the products of
decay and the visitors' leavings *MIGHT* develop into dangerous
alkaloids.

Can you guarantee that you have never or will never consume 'visitors'
leavings' on any item of food you take in?

This isn't my theory, but advice from eminent mycologists.

My friend who said that I was wasting good food by eschewing maggots in
blewits was one such, he practised what he preached as a professional
agricultural advisor and died at 98 years old in an accident involving a
tractor.

Mary

Old 02-10-2008, 02:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

/snip/

Can you guarantee that you have never or will never consume 'visitors'
leavings' on any item of food you take in?

Of course not - but I do eschew holy bits...

This isn't my theory, but advice from eminent mycologists.

My friend who said that I was wasting good food by eschewing maggots in
blewits was one such,

I picked a wood blewit in the garden this morning - in a 'likely' place
I'd 'seeded' with some bases of stipes two or three years ago.

he practised what he preached as a professional
agricultural advisor and died at 98 years old in an accident involving a
tractor.

Presumably the tractor wasn't paying attention?

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Old 02-10-2008, 07:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

/snip/

Can you guarantee that you have never or will never consume 'visitors'
leavings' on any item of food you take in?

Of course not - but I do eschew holy bits...

That's irrelevant to what you said before.

Mary

Old 02-10-2008, 10:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:
"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

/snip/

Can you guarantee that you have never or will never consume 'visitors'
leavings' on any item of food you take in?

Of course not - but I do eschew holy bits...

That's irrelevant to what you said before.

How?

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig