Old 01-10-2008, 06:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Chilli Id

Hi all,
I received my consignment of fresh chillis from peppers by post, which
included a mixed bag. Trouble is, I have no idea what any of them are. Could
anyone who's good with chilli varieties have a look at:
http://www.cryptpad.com/chilli_id.jpg
And let me know what they think they are?

(2) looks like some kind of squash pepper (or whatever they're called), and
4 looks like ripe jalapenos (because of the meshing on the fruit).

Old 02-10-2008, 02:39 PM
Registered User

Hi Crundy
2 is called Friars Hat and is a 'baccatum'.
3 and 5 are both 'chinense', 3 looks like a habanero and 4 like a scotch bonnet but unsure as to exact varieties.
4 are jalapeno but look like different varieties, but 'annuum'.
1 is also an 'annuum' but I can't be more specific.
6 looks like a 'frutescens' of some description.
Sorry this all sounds a bit vague but there are possibly thousands of different varieties, and sometimes different names for the same variety, and often the fruit looking very similar and the main differences being growth habit and the flowers, or just heat level!
If you want to spend a little time trying to get more exact identification try http://www.thechileman.org/search.php
I hope this has been some help.
Regards
Richard
Old 02-10-2008, 03:01 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard at GS View Post
If you want to spend a little time trying to get more exact identification try http://www.thechileman.org/search.php
If you register at Chillisgalore.co.uk they have an identification forum only visible to those who are registered.
1 could be a whippet's tail also known as long john, etc.
6 is probably the hardest to identify, practically all the cultivated chilli species include a variety, or indeed several varities, that is yellow and typically chilli shaped.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Richard at GS" wrote in message
snip

Thanks!

Questions for chilli experts Pam Moore United Kingdom 2 04-06-2003 10:44 AM
chilli plant grown with chilli seeds govinder United Kingdom 0 01-04-2003 11:20 PM
Chilli Seeds Charlie United Kingdom 10 22-03-2003 11:30 AM
Ancient chilli peppers Nick Maclaren United Kingdom 15 25-01-2003 05:19 PM
last year's chilli plants H United Kingdom 1 08-01-2003 01:29 PM