Old 03-10-2008, 01:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tomato Soup Recipe - was "Worth Growing Tomatoes"

As requested, below is recipe for tomato soup. We usually treble the
quantities - gives us 9 pints of soup.

25g/1oz butter
1 onion, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
45g/3tablespoons flour
1 litre/2 pints chicken stock
4 white peppercorns
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
750g/1.5 lbs tomatoes, chopped roughly

Melt butter in deep saucepan, add onion and carrot and cook slowly until
golden brown

Add flour and mix. Gradually add stock, stirring continually to avoid lumps;
then add remaining ingredients.

Cover, bring to the boil and simmer over a low heat for 1-1.5 hours.

Blend to a creamy consistency. I usually then sieve it to get rid of the
seeds etc.

A delicious soup and the bonus is that you don't need to skin the tomatoes.
Regards
Jeanne

Old 03-10-2008, 07:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"AriesVal" wrote in message
On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 13:39:14 +0100, Jeanne Stockdale wrote:

Thanks Jeanne - printed

You know, delicious as these recipes sound (although I'd prefer to thicken
soup with potatoes rather thn flour) I still prefer raw or grilled tomatoes
when home grown. I don't mind drying some but nothing else. We gorge on
tomatoes in their season - until Christmas. We gorge on runner beans too,
still having them every day.

drool

Mary

Old 03-10-2008, 08:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

Thanks Jeanne - printed

You know, delicious as these recipes sound (although I'd prefer to thicken
soup with potatoes rather thn flour) I still prefer raw or grilled
tomatoes when home grown. I don't mind drying some but nothing else. We
gorge on tomatoes in their season - until Christmas. We gorge on runner
beans too, still having them every day.

drool

OOOH
Drying
Recipe please !
Regards
Pete (drool)
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 04-10-2008, 09:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete Stockdale" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

... We gorge on tomatoes in their season - until Christmas. We gorge on
runner beans too, still having them every day.

drool

Val, when I clear the greenhouse I take off all the vines of green tomatoes
and leave them in a basket in the kitchen. No heat, no bananas, no drawer,
no windowsill, no special treatment at all. Every day I pick over the stems
and take off the ripened ones. We always have the last on Christmas Eve with
our pork pie, made that day.

Tradition!

OOOH
Drying
Recipe please !

No recipe! I have a dehydrator. It's very useful for dealing with gluts or
very cheap bargains of, say, mushrooms, grapes, onions. There's a high input
of my energy in cutting apples, onions etc. but it saves my energy in
preparation later. Perhaps the greatest advantage is that the results take
up very little room and no further energy to preserve them (as there is with
freezing). Don't get me wrong, freezing is great for some things and we have
two large ones, mostly for meat, fish and bread.

I cut tomatoes in half and put them on the trays, switch on and keep
checking. When they've reached the leathery stage I remove them, cool them
them either put them into containers or in jars with olive oil.

It's how most 'sun-dried' tomatoes are processed, no matter how much guff is
said about their being spread on sun-soaked terraces. there's nothing magic
ab out using the sun, except that it's free and doesn't have a carbon
footprint - which of course is desirable. The tomato drying season in
Yorkshire doesn't coincide with sun though ...

Mary

Old 04-10-2008, 10:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

Ah !

I would also need a machine here in Cheshire for the same reason.
Thanks for the explanation anyway.

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 04-10-2008, 03:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jeanne Stockdale wrote:
[...]

Thanks for that.....simmering now
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 04-10-2008, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Pete C wrote:
Jeanne Stockdale wrote:

snippy

Modified a bit. To stop boiling on lowest stove setting, I removed the lid.
Consequently, it reduced quite a bit, so made up half pint Oxo 'Italian'
herb and spice cube. The basil in it certainly tops off the
flavour.....delish!
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 04-10-2008, 06:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete C" wrote in message
Pete C wrote:
Jeanne Stockdale wrote:

snippy

Modified a bit. To stop boiling on lowest stove setting, I removed the
lid. Consequently, it reduced quite a bit, so made up half pint Oxo
'Italian' herb and spice cube. The basil in it certainly tops off the
flavour.....delish!
--
Pete C
London UK

Glad you are happy.
How much have you made ?

Regards
Pete S
Church Minshull Cheshire

Old 04-10-2008, 08:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Pete Stockdale wrote:
"Pete C" wrote in message
Pete C wrote:
Jeanne Stockdale wrote:

snippy

Modified a bit. To stop boiling on lowest stove setting, I removed
the lid. Consequently, it reduced quite a bit, so made up half pint
Oxo 'Italian' herb and spice cube. The basil in it certainly tops
off the flavour.....delish!
--
Pete C
London UK

Glad you are happy.
How much have you made ?

Regards
Pete S
Church Minshull Cheshire

Well, it still needs a whizz in the blender, so not sure. Will post tomorrow
on finished soup
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 05-10-2008, 07:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Pete Stockdale wrote:
"Pete C" wrote in message
Pete C wrote:
Jeanne Stockdale wrote:

snippy

Modified a bit. To stop boiling on lowest stove setting, I removed
the lid. Consequently, it reduced quite a bit, so made up half pint
Oxo 'Italian' herb and spice cube. The basil in it certainly tops
off the flavour.....delish!
--
Pete C
London UK