Old 11-10-2008, 02:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Question for taxonomists

We've heard that Aristea major is now Aristea capitata. Can anyone who
knows about these things confirm that with any certainty? TIA

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 11-10-2008, 03:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
We've heard that Aristea major is now Aristea capitata. Can anyone who
knows about these things confirm that with any certainty? TIA

Google is your friend. (Though in this case it helps to know that much
of Novon is available at Botanicus.)

http://www.botanicus.org/page/642768
http://www.aluka.org/action/showComp...5555/AL.AP.COM
PILATION.PLANT-NAME-SPECIES.ARISTEA.CAPITATA&cookieSet=1
http://www.plantzafrica.com/plantab/aristeamajor.htm
http://www.pacificbulbsociety.org/pb...ex.php/Aristea
http://books.google.com/books?id=m4U...99-IA3&lpg=RA1
-PA599-IA3&dq=Aristea+major+capitata&source=web&ots=Rxnwr V3_Ay&sig=6rvG13
4ty7Pebg8H29Gw6cYkSzY&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&re snum=13&ct=result#PRA1-
PA599-IA3,M1

It appears that it has long been suspected that Aristea major was a
junior synonym of Aristea capitata, but that there was some uncertainty
over the true identity of the latter. The Novon paper cuts the Gordian
knot by a restatement of the identity of Aristea capitata.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 11-10-2008, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/10/08 15:42, in article lid, "Stewart
Robert Hinsley" wrote:

In message , Sacha
writes
[...]

Thanks for this - I did Google on it but just got stockists of the bulbs or
the few who have it as actual plants - two of us in the Plant Finder in
which A. capitata doesn't figure! It's quite hard for us to know how to
list this.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
On 11/10/08 15:42, in article lid, "Stewart
Robert Hinsley" wrote:

In message , Sacha
writes
[...]

Using Aristea capitata major as the search string hits the spot.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 11-10-2008, 10:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/10/08 20:43, in article lid, "Stewart
Robert Hinsley" wrote:

In message , Sacha
writes
On 11/10/08 15:42, in article
lid, "Stewart
Robert Hinsley" wrote:

In message , Sacha
writes
[...]

But queries we've had don't do that. We'll ponder on it.

Old 12-10-2008, 02:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

Kew provides a check list of valid plant names and clearly shows A.
major to be a synonym of A. capitata despite the former name being the
most frequently used. You might like to bookmark this:
http://apps.kew.org/wcsp/home.do

HTH
Old 12-10-2008, 09:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/10/08 02:31, in article
, "Dave
Poole" wrote:

Kew provides a check list of valid plant names and clearly shows A.
major to be a synonym of A. capitata despite the former name being the
most frequently used. You might like to bookmark this:
http://apps.kew.org/wcsp/home.do

HTH

Very useful and definitely bookmarked. I've forwarded it to the office
computer, too! Many thanks.

Old 14-10-2008, 12:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/10/08 18:10, in article ,
"Chris Hogg" wrote:

On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 00:14:11 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

On 12/10/08 18:29, in article
,
"Chris Hogg" wrote:

On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 14:12:32 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

We've heard that Aristea major is now Aristea capitata.

Not answering your question, but piggybacking it.

My A. /capitata/major has rather washed-out dirty pink flowers, much
to my disappointment. Can anyone suggest a reason? I blame the soil!
Should be acid, but there are bonfire-sized pockets of all sorts of
rubbish in this garden :-( Do they behave like hydrangeas (acid-blue,
alkaline-pink)? Next year it's going to get a dose of sequestrine
and/or iron sulphate to see if it makes any difference!

Well, a bit like you not really answering my question, I'm not really
answering yours! We have the blue Aristea but I've read of a pink one and
found this link to it:
http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/88749...eeds_Evergreen
_Rhizomatous_Perennials_Sow_Autumn.html

You could be sitting on a 'nice little earner'. ;-)

Thanks Sacha. I don't think mine's such a nice pink as the one
pictured, but at least it confirms there are pink forms around. I got
mine from Trevena X nursery, but I have two others grown from seed
from elsewhere that haven't flowered yet. I'm hoping for a boy
(IYSWIM!).

I do indeed see what you mean! Trevena X have some really nice things -
when did you get yours?