Old 26-10-2008, 08:50 PM
Registered User

Exclamation Plan ID?

Hello,

I hope someone can help me to identify this plant. I've brough a few joy perfume tree (MICHALIA CHAMPACA) seeds from ebay however, because it took so long to germinate, I've given up and have put other seeds into the pot. Now I've got a plug plant in this pot and have no idea what it is.

Thanks

http://www.flickr.com/photos/happymeow/2975939188/
Old 26-10-2008, 11:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Plan ID?

On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 20:50:53 +0000, Happymeow
wrote:

Hello,

I hope someone can help me to identify this plant. I've brough a few
joy perfume tree (MICHALIA CHAMPACA) seeds from ebay however, because
it took so long to germinate, I've given up and have put other seeds
into the pot. Now I've got a plug plant in this pot and have no idea
what it is.

Thanks

http://tinyurl.com/5a92zy

Basil?

Pam in Bristol
Old 27-10-2008, 02:40 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happymeow View Post
Hello,

I hope someone can help me to identify this plant. I've brough a few joy perfume tree (MICHALIA CHAMPACA) seeds from ebay however, because it took so long to germinate, I've given up and have put other seeds into the pot. Now I've got a plug plant in this pot and have no idea what it is.

Thanks

http://www.flickr.com/photos/happymeow/2975939188/
What were the other seeds you sowed?
Old 27-10-2008, 10:59 AM
Registered User

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by beccabunga View Post
What were the other seeds you sowed?
In the pot it has "sensitive plant","kaffif lily" and "Joy perfume tree" seeds.

What happened was my husband accidentally tripped over serveral pots so I ended up putting all the soil + seed into this pot as I thought the joy perfume tree seed will never get germinated

i thought it was kaffif lily at the start until last weekend i saw a pot of Kaffif lily in kew garden which looks different to this plant.
Old 27-10-2008, 01:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Hello,

I hope someone can help me to identify this plant. I've brough a few
joy perfume tree (MICHALIA CHAMPACA) seeds from ebay however, because
it took so long to germinate, I've given up and have put other seeds
into the pot. Now I've got a plug plant in this pot and have no idea
what it is.

Thanks

http://tinyurl.com/5a92zy

If not basil, pansy?

Pam in Bristol

Old 27-10-2008, 03:10 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happymeow View Post
In the pot it has "sensitive plant","kaffif lily" and "Joy perfume tree" seeds.

What happened was my husband accidentally tripped over serveral pots so I ended up putting all the soil + seed into this pot as I thought the joy perfume tree seed will never get germinated

i thought it was kaffif lily at the start until last weekend i saw a pot of Kaffif lily in kew garden which looks different to this plant.
Well it isn't clivia or hesperantha (possibilities for kaffir lily) as those are both monocots, and this seems to be a dicot. And it clearly isn't mimosa pudica. And it isn't basil. And it isn't michelia either.

I rather fear it is going to turn out to be a weed. At first glance I thought it might be ivy-leaved toad-flax, but it isn't that either.
Old 27-10-2008, 08:42 PM
Registered User

Press the leaf. If it is basil-scented, then it is possibly a stray basil plant.
Old 27-10-2008, 09:54 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by beccabunga View Post
Press the leaf. If it is basil-scented, then it is possibly a stray basil plant.
I have pressed the leave and it has not scent at all.

I hope this is not weed... The pots are indoor in a close room and the compose we used are from B&Q unless the compose itself has weed seed in it, otherwise i dont know where the seed is from.

I really hope this is michalia champaca.. i will carry on let it grow and hopefully as it get better will give me more clue of what it is...

Thank you very much for all your help.
Old 28-10-2008, 10:35 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happymeow View Post
I really hope this is michalia champaca.. i will carry on let it grow and hopefully as it get better will give me more clue of what it is....
Here's a picture of some magnolia seedlings, and a michelia is basically a magnolia. So, you'll have to be very lucky.
http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/1...34280845pOqKhl

I think Pam might have got it right with her second guess.

Reminds me of the time I sowed some Meconopsis betonicifolia, blue poppies. What came up looked rather like birch. But then "betonicifolia" means "birch-leaved", so I held on hopefully. But of course it was birch. In fact I grew a few on and still have one of them, now about 10 feet tall.

I find my indoor pot-plants occasionally get weeds in them. Even if the composting killed everything off, I don't think that they keep it in perfect biological security before packing it.
Old 28-10-2008, 01:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 21:54:21 +0000, Happymeow
wrote:

beccabunga;820461 Wrote:
Press the leaf. If it is basil-scented, then it is possibly a stray
basil plant.

I have pressed the leave and it has not scent at all.

I hope this is not weed... The pots are indoor in a close room and
the compose we used are from B&Q unless the compose itself has weed seed
in it, otherwise i dont know where the seed is from.

I really hope this is michalia champaca.. i will carry on let it grow
and hopefully as it get better will give me more clue of what it is...

Thank you very much for all your help.

Having ruled out basil, I still stand by pansy.

Pam in Bristol

Old 30-10-2008, 10:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , echinosum
writes

http://tinyurl.com/6x3nq3

I think Pam might have got it right with her second guess.

Reminds me of the time I sowed some Meconopsis betonicifolia, blue
poppies. What came up looked rather like birch. But then
"betonicifolia" means "birch-leaved", so I held on hopefully. But of
course it was birch. In fact I grew a few on and still have one of
them, now about 10 feet tall.

Actually, I think that you'll find that betonicifolia means
betony-leaved. Birch-leaved would be betulifolia.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley