Old 30-10-2008, 09:23 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila View Post
"Rusty_Hinge" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "Sheila"
contains these words:
"Rusty_Hinge"
wrote in message
k...
..

We were asked by the warden of a Scout campsite to clear up after an
enthusiastic bungler made a clearing by cutting down a number of trees.

Tee Hee, I read that as enthusiastic bugler......

Blowing your own trumpet?

We had a lot of fun-(not) , when we had to remove our Willow, which had
split in two pieces, was intertwined , and had a diameter of 12 feet,

I mean probably circumfernce, the actual trunk.

What, the bole or the canopy?

Or do you mean circumference?

The biggest trees we ever took down were two poplars which were
somewhere in the region of 120 ft high, and with a bole diameter of six
feet.

The cuts of our 36" Pioneer power saw *JUST* met in the middle...

the
tree guys took it down to 5' and refused to do any more, it was hollow
inside,

'Tree guys' reminds me of the two Irishmen who see a notice: "Tree
Fellers Required".

"Pity," says Pat "that there are only the two of us..."

Just why, I wonder, would 'tree guys' not want to take the last five
feet down? I can understand them not wanting to take down everything
*ABOVE* five feet...

I dont really know, think they had had enough! As far as I remember, they
said it was to wet for the chain saws, think it just frightened them! As I
said before, above the thick trunk, the tree itself had split into two huge
branches, intertwined round itself, and was rotten inside, After our
attempts at burning the rest, we got a Soldier who worked at the local range
armed with a chain saw, and he took it down to ground level for us, (think
he was a bit mad, and the practise with the chain saw vented his anger)
Then my hubby armed with a chisel dug out the channel for the fencing! its
now hidden under grass, and doesnt cause us any problems (we hope)

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

You could use roundup to solve the problem and to stop the tree from ever coming back and causing honey fungus in your garden and fairy rings in your lawn. It can be found here at a good price:

http://gardens.taylorschoice.co.uk/p...ller_250ml.php [/i][/color]
Old 04-11-2008, 10:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Removing a Tree

Done a few of these.
Dig around, hack the roots with a good axe.
Assorted stump waggles.
You usually get to a point that the stump can be a lever.

Dont use your "best" spade...you will be tempted to
apply to much pressure at some point, when adrenaline and frustration get
the better of you....

Like I sya axe, waggle, patience

Old 05-11-2008, 11:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

How far down does the stump go usually

I mean once I have disconnected the rots can I lever it out or will it
itself be really deep (i.e am i just better off sawing it off below ground
level and covering it up?

Old 06-11-2008, 08:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mo" wrote in message
How far down does the stump go usually

I mean once I have disconnected the rots can I lever it out or will it
itself be really deep (i.e am i just better off sawing it off below ground
level and covering it up?

They shouldn't be deep, tree roots spread out just below the surface to
catch water from as large an area as possible. Have you got access all round
the stump, or is it up against a wall or fence? I would chop a root, lever
the stump up, wedge a length of timber underneath, chop another root, more
wedging, chop another root until it comes out. Usually it comes loose when
you're not expecting it, which catches you off-balance and puts you on your
backside in a puddle. This of course will coincide with the presence of the
maximum number of spectators. Sod's law is quite specific on this point.

Steve

Old 06-11-2008, 11:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "mo" contains these words:

How far down does the stump go usually

Depends on what type of tree it is/was.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Removing a tree stump Keith Hampson United Kingdom 8 30-01-2005 07:34 PM
Removing ivy from a tree Rich Lawns 2 25-10-2004 06:25 PM
Removing Tree Stumps Next to Garage Brian Gardening 5 03-08-2004 06:12 PM
Removing tree stumps martin United Kingdom 2 04-05-2004 05:14 PM
removing tree near house Al Reynolds United Kingdom 9 18-06-2003 08:20 AM