Old 26-10-2008, 10:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Removing a Tree

Hi
I need to remove a tree

It was about 3 metres high when it was full height.

It was cut a coupel of eyars back so there is only a stump there (its about
30cm across so quite small)

I have started digging around it and have exposed one of the roots.

Is it ok to fidn the roots nd just sever them to stop anything growing back?

I do want to remove the main part of the stump - so I am thinking of finding
all the roots and chopping them off - but how deep might the actual stump
part go down?

I want to play grass on top so I spose I could always bdig quite deep and
then saw it off so the stump is below 'ground level' and then cover again
with mud?

How can I ensure it doesnt grow back again in a few years and coem out
through my new turf?

Old 27-10-2008, 08:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mo" wrote in message
Hi
I need to remove a tree

It was about 3 metres high when it was full height.

It was cut a coupel of eyars back so there is only a stump there (its
about 30cm across so quite small)

I have started digging around it and have exposed one of the roots.

Is it ok to fidn the roots nd just sever them to stop anything growing
back?

I do want to remove the main part of the stump - so I am thinking of
finding all the roots and chopping them off - but how deep might the
actual stump part go down?

I want to play grass on top so I spose I could always bdig quite deep and
then saw it off so the stump is below 'ground level' and then cover again
with mud?

How can I ensure it doesnt grow back again in a few years and coem out
through my new turf?

You've got a hell of a job on, 30 cm is going to seem quite substantial to
you fairly soon. Yes, you can sever the roots and remove the stump, and it
*shouldn't* come back.

Or you could get the stump grinder guys in. Or you could hack away at the
stump and roots with any implement of destruction you may have, until it's
at least 2" below soil level. Do a bit at a time over several sessions, or
you'll end up wishing you had. Don't ask me how I know :-)

Or you could make a feature of it, either by putting containers on it, or by
making holes in it and planting direct into it, ferns look good in this
situation.

Incidentally, if you're ever in the position of wanting to remove a tree
like this again, don't cut it to a stump, cut it to about or just below eye
level (for safety's sake). Then you can use the tall stump for leverage to
get at the roots.

Good luck
Steve

Old 27-10-2008, 01:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mo" wrote in message
Hi
I need to remove a tree

It was about 3 metres high when it was full height.

It was cut a coupel of eyars back so there is only a stump there (its
about 30cm across so quite small)

I have started digging around it and have exposed one of the roots.

I have sorted several trees in my garden simply by cutting them off just
below soil level and turfing over. Some produced shoots but only for the
first season of mowing then they gave up. The largest trunk was reduced to
below soil level by firstly drilling lots of holes down into it, then
beating the remains with a big hammer.

Mike

Old 27-10-2008, 02:57 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo[_2_] View Post
Hi
I need to remove a tree
It was cut a coupel of eyars back so there is only a stump there (its about
30cm across so quite small)

I have started digging around it and have exposed one of the roots.

Is it ok to fidn the roots nd just sever them to stop anything growing back?

I do want to remove the main part of the stump - so I am thinking of finding
all the roots and chopping them off - but how deep might the actual stump
part go down?
I have removed tree stumps by the method you mention. But as the other guy said, it is a lot easier if you have left a 6-ft high stump to get leverage. A 30cm thick trunk sounds like big job, I don't think I would try one that big. That, by the way, is an extraordinarily thick trunk for a tree a mere 3m tall, what upon earth was it, or have you over-estimated it? I suppose a tree that has been regularly pollarded to that height might have such a thick trunk.

Some trees turn out to have not much at all below ground, especially if they are conifers. Others turn out to have some extraordinary quantity of stuff below ground and are really hard work to dig out. Some trees are killed if you sever the main routes, others can grow back from the roots left behind, just like you can propagate some plants from a root cutting. These latter need to be killed first before you remove the stump, by drilling holes in the stump and tipping in SBK mixed with oil.
Old 27-10-2008, 03:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"shazzbat" replied:
Incidentally, if you're ever in the position of wanting to remove a tree
like this again, don't cut it to a stump, cut it to about or just below
eye level (for safety's sake). Then you can use the tall stump for
leverage to get at the roots.

What excellent advice, I do wish you had given it last month, before I
chopped my small plum tree down to a very small stump.

Mike Derby

Old 27-10-2008, 06:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Muddymike wrote:
The largest trunk
was reduced to below soil level by firstly drilling lots of holes
down into it, then beating the remains with a big hammer.

Mike

email dashed off to the RSPCT!
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 27-10-2008, 07:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mo" wrote in message
[...]

You need a 5' crowbar, a sharp axe and a spade. Dig a 2' wide ditch
around the trunk and cut off the roots at both ends as they are exposed
by the digging and prising with the crowbar. Soon, when you have dug
down about 2', you will be able to rock the trunk with the crowbar and
you will be amazed how easily it gives up. Elbow grease is cheap!!

I wish you luck.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 27-10-2008, 07:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Say I dig aroudn the stump and cut the roots off - what is the best way to
cut it when its below soil level - i wont have much space to work in - i
dont fancy the idea of battering it away - i oculd probably do it with an
axe but it sounds liek too much work!

Old 27-10-2008, 07:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 19:43:34 -0000, "mo" wrote and
included this (or some of this):

Say I dig aroudn the stump and cut the roots off - what is the best way to
cut it when its below soil level - i wont have much space to work in - i
dont fancy the idea of battering it away - i oculd probably do it with an
axe but it sounds liek too much work!

Angle grinder?

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°²

Old 27-10-2008, 08:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mo" wrote in message
Say I dig aroudn the stump and cut the roots off - what is the best

way to
cut it when its below soil level - i wont have much space to work in -

dont fancy the idea of battering it away - i oculd probably do it with

an
axe but it sounds liek too much work!

I cannot think of a way of cutting it below ground level unless you dig
quite a big ditch around the trunk and use a chain saw. In which case
you need to make sure that no grit etc gets into the saw.

You will be amazed how easy it is to remove that trunk if you
methodically follow my instructions. I think that you will have it up
in about one hour, with a stop for tea thrown in.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 27-10-2008, 08:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Muddymike" contains these words:

I have sorted several trees in my garden simply by cutting them off just
below soil level and turfing over. Some produced shoots but only for the
first season of mowing then they gave up. The largest trunk was reduced to
below soil level by firstly drilling lots of holes down into it, then
beating the remains with a big hammer.

Drill holes in it and fill with sulphuric acid - battery acid does fine
if the pharmacist hasn't got any.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 27-10-2008, 08:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Mike Derby" contains these words:
"shazzbat" replied:

Incidentally, if you're ever in the position of wanting to remove a tree
like this again, don't cut it to a stump, cut it to about or just below
eye level (for safety's sake). Then you can use the tall stump for
leverage to get at the roots.

What excellent advice, I do wish you had given it last month, before I
chopped my small plum tree down to a very small stump.

Standard procedure.

We were asked by the warden of a Scout campsite to clear up after an
enthusiastic bungler made a clearing by cutting down a number of trees.

It wasn't possible to erect a tent of any size without including a stump
or two - not good for groundsheets...

I wouldn't recommend using our method unless you know what you're doing,
though: with an auger, drill right through the stump into the soil
beneath, place small charge of fuzed blasting powder at the bottom,
hammer into the hole a dowel with a channel for the fuze, attach dowel
to ten feet of strong cord, peg other end securely into the ground,
light fuze, retire to safe distance.

TUMP!

Slight thud under the feet, dowel rises and describes an arc, landing
twenty feet away, stump rises an inch, but all the roots are broken.

Block and tackle (or differential pulley if a big stump) and out it comes.

Easy-peasy

Forget the cord, and you stand some chance of shooting-down a passing
aircraft...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 27-10-2008, 08:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 19:43:34 -0000, "mo" wrote and
included this (or some of this):

Say I dig aroudn the stump and cut the roots off - what is the best way to
cut it when its below soil level - i wont have much space to work in - i
dont fancy the idea of battering it away - i oculd probably do it with an
axe but it sounds liek too much work!

Angle grinder?

I wish I had thought of that, but now you have said it I know how I am going
to tackle the thick ivy trunks left on my dry stone wall.

Mike

Old 27-10-2008, 08:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from ®óñ© © ²°¹°-°² contains these words:
On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 19:43:34 -0000, "mo" wrote and
included this (or some of this):

Say I dig aroudn the stump and cut the roots off - what is the best way to
cut it when its below soil level - i wont have much space to work in - i
dont fancy the idea of battering it away - i oculd probably do it with an
axe but it sounds liek too much work!

Angle grinder?

or at that level, ankle-grinder?

Emrys has the proper answer up ^ there.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 27-10-2008, 09:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Muddymike" contains these words:
On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 19:43:34 -0000, "mo" wrote and
included this (or some of this):

Say I dig aroudn the stump and cut the roots off - what is the best way to
cut it when its below soil level - i wont have much space to work in - i
dont fancy the idea of battering it away - i oculd probably do it with an
axe but it sounds liek too much work!

Angle grinder?

I wish I had thought of that, but now you have said it I know how I am
going
to tackle the thick ivy trunks left on my dry stone wall.

Rather you than me.

I don't think they do a green wood-cutting disc...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Removing a tree stump Keith Hampson United Kingdom 8 30-01-2005 07:34 PM
Removing ivy from a tree Rich Lawns 2 25-10-2004 06:25 PM
Removing Tree Stumps Next to Garage Brian Gardening 5 03-08-2004 06:12 PM
Removing tree stumps martin United Kingdom 2 04-05-2004 05:14 PM
removing tree near house Al Reynolds United Kingdom 9 18-06-2003 08:20 AM