Old 28-10-2008, 09:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Irritating Gaillardias?

A close friend of mine has acquired a rash to her face and arms after
gardening. She was clearing a border of Gaillardias (Blanket Flower), and
wonders if these are a known irritant.

I confess I've never come across this, and it's not in the HTA leaflet
listing harmful plants, so has anyone in the ng encountered this before?
You would know if you had - apparently it's *very* itchy.

I'd be grateful for any clues ...

Spider

Old 28-10-2008, 09:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 21:06:40 -0000, "Spider" wrote
and included this (or some of this):

A close friend of mine has acquired a rash to her face and arms after
gardening. She was clearing a border of Gaillardias (Blanket Flower), and
wonders if these are a known irritant.

I confess I've never come across this, and it's not in the HTA leaflet
listing harmful plants, so has anyone in the ng encountered this before?
You would know if you had - apparently it's *very* itchy.

I'd be grateful for any clues ...

Potentially allergenic sesquiterpene lactones (Mitchell & Dupuis 1971)
have been reported from a number of species:

Gaillardia amblyodon Gay
Gaillardia arizonica A.?Gray
Gaillardia fastigiata Greene
Gaillardia x grandiflora hort.
Gaillardia megapotamica Baker
Gaillardia mexicana A.?Gray
Gaillardia multiceps Greene
Gaillardia parryi Greene (unpublished)
Gaillardia pinnatifida Torrey
Gaillardia spathulata A.?Gray

see
http://bodd.cf.ac.uk/BotDermFolder/COMP-13.html

HTH

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°²
Old 28-10-2008, 09:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message
A close friend of mine has acquired a rash to her face and arms after
gardening. She was clearing a border of Gaillardias (Blanket Flower),

and
wonders if these are a known irritant.

I confess I've never come across this, and it's not in the HTA leaflet
listing harmful plants, so has anyone in the ng encountered this

before?
You would know if you had - apparently it's *very* itchy.

I'd be grateful for any clues ...

Spider

http://tinyurl.com/59z3tt Scroll to Allergic Contact Dermititis.

Regards,
Emrys Davies

Old 29-10-2008, 11:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Emrys Davies" wrote in message
"Spider" wrote in message
A close friend of mine has acquired a rash to her face and arms after
gardening. She was clearing a border of Gaillardias (Blanket Flower),

and
wonders if these are a known irritant.

I confess I've never come across this, and it's not in the HTA leaflet
listing harmful plants, so has anyone in the ng encountered this

before?
You would know if you had - apparently it's *very* itchy.

I'd be grateful for any clues ...

Spider

http://tinyurl.com/59z3tt Scroll to Allergic Contact Dermititis.

Regards,
Emrys Davies

Thank you both very much for your rapid and informative replies. I have
spoken to the sufferer and she is most relieved to know the source of her
allergy. She asks me to pass on her thanks to you.

Spider