Old 30-11-2008, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Greenhouses & filmsy polycarbonate sheeting

Back in February I bought my wife two 9' x 12' "Lakeland" greenhouses
as a retirement present. Due to various issues including levelling the
site etc it's only in the last month we've assembled one of them (the
other is still in bits), and within two weeks we lost seven of the
polycarbonate sheets in what I think were only light winds. I have no
faith whatsoever in the rest not blowing away soon.

The sheeting is 4mm polycarbonate twin wall that slides into channels,
and the wind makes it bow so much that it comes out of the channel.
Once out they are almost impossible to re-fit without major
dismantling. It was a seller on ebay (swiftbuys234) who reportedly
died five weeks ago so no redress there. OK our fault for not putting
them up sooner, but I believe that the basic design is flawed.

Has anyone else had this problem, or perhaps has a solution less
radical than scrapping them and starting again?

AWEM

Old 30-11-2008, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Andrew Mawson" wrote in message
[...]

I would use extra glazing clips and clear silicon sealant.
Keith

Old 30-11-2008, 06:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Andrew Mawson" contains
these words:

[...]

Haven't bought that, and my Twinwall bits will be securely fixed to
wood, but if you flex the frame enough to get the sheets back in, or
fiddle them in some other way, drill one side of the channels and the
Twinwall underneath (or on top, depending which way you want to do it),
with a small bit - say, an eighth to a sixteenth of an inch, and screw
in plated self-tapping screws.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 30-11-2008, 07:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Andrew Mawson wrote:
[...]

What is the base? Is it absolutely level? Is the greenhouse securely bolted
down?
Any other brand name, as I can't find any trace of Lakeland Greenhouses in
Google.
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 30-11-2008, 07:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete C" wrote in message
Andrew Mawson wrote:
[...]

Base is concrete, and dead nuts flat!
There is no provision for clipping
The groove depth is too shallow to pierce the sheeting and retain
strength
The sellers son initially told me Lakeland were in Scarborough, then
Cleatormoor in Cumbria, neither check out.
(Obviously a China made item)
I suspect that silicone will peel off in the wet and wind as the
overlap is so small

....argh !

AWEM

Old 30-11-2008, 08:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Andrew Mawson" contains
these words:

Base is concrete, and dead nuts flat!

Fixed down to it, or screwed to faith and hope?

There is no provision for clipping

Clipping what to what?

The groove depth is too shallow to pierce the sheeting and retain
strength

You might be able to gaffer-tape the edges of the Twinwall and force it
into the channel - it doesn't sound as if it will just slip in.

The sellers son initially told me Lakeland were in Scarborough, then
Cleatormoor in Cumbria, neither check out.

Lakeland is a national chain of (usually) good quality but overexpensive
items.

(Obviously a China made item)
I suspect that silicone will peel off in the wet and wind as the
overlap is so small

Probably, unless you can find one which is a powerful adhesive as well.

....argh !

You might improve matters by putting the greenhouses end-to-end when you
get round to erecting the other one.

Sounds like lack of rigidity and overstrong winds is the problem.

If you can arrange it, try metal strip or angle-iron diagonal braces on
three sides. Well, two sides and an end.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 30-11-2008, 09:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rusty_Hinge wrote:
The message
from "Andrew Mawson" contains
these words:

Base is concrete, and dead nuts flat!

Fixed down to it, or screwed to faith and hope?

There is no provision for clipping

Clipping what to what?

The groove depth is too shallow to pierce the sheeting and retain
strength

You might be able to gaffer-tape the edges of the Twinwall and force
it into the channel - it doesn't sound as if it will just slip in.

The sellers son initially told me Lakeland were in Scarborough, then
Cleatormoor in Cumbria, neither check out.

Lakeland is a national chain of (usually) good quality but
overexpensive items.

snippy

Mmm, yes, kitchen items!

As Rusty says, some bracing seems to be required. Any chance of a pic
Andrew?
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 30-11-2008, 09:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rusty_Hinge" wrote in message
. uk...

Sounds like lack of rigidity and overstrong winds is the problem.

If you can arrange it, try metal strip or angle-iron diagonal braces on
three sides. Well, two sides and an end.

These should have been built in to the original design.
If not - no wonder it is a shambles !

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 30-11-2008, 09:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

Direct reply to: horrid dot squeak snailything zetnet point co

period uk
Separator in search of a sig

The roof pieces slide upwards into channels, the wall pieces slide
downwards into channels (so no clips involved), then an extruded
gutter section slides on preventing them coming out (or in again!) the
same way. Only problem is that the gutter is a very strong force fit
and doesn't come off realistically. The whole structure is remarkably
rigid - actually quite well cross braced. Long term it will be bolted
down, but currently is held down with about twenty flag stones
overlapping the base - it is very solid. The panels are too large
(mainly 45" x 27") for the depth of channel (only about 4mm) and the
twin wall ribs are in line with the long sides, so the long edges of
the twinwall easily squash leaving no strength as the large panel
flexes. Were I to replace the twinwall with solid polycarbonate it
would probably be ok but it's about £86 for an 8' x 4' sheet of 4 mm
and it'll take 12 sheets to do both greenhouses - oddly the 'dead'
seller (swiftbuys234) still has many listings including twinwall on
ebay.

AWEM

Old 30-11-2008, 10:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

Inform ebay that the vendor is allegedly dead.

Sounds as if he needs his wings clipped...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Old 30-11-2008, 10:19 PM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Mawson View Post

this might help : http://www.wickes.co.uk/content/ebiz...ges/gil/52.pdf
Old 30-11-2008, 10:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Andrew Mawson" wrote
[...]

Once you have the sheets back in the channels then I would glue (silicone
type) onto the sheets something rigid like ally angle so they can't flex
again. Or for belt and braces you could drill and bolt similar both sides of
the sheets (but I'd still glue as well).

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 01-12-2008, 04:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Andrew Mawson" contains
these words:

The sheeting is 4mm polycarbonate twin wall that slides into channels,
and the wind makes it bow so much that it comes out of the channel.

I've worked with twinwall of that size and I understand the problem. The
manufacturers recommend a minimum channel depth (or width) of 18mm to
prevent the collapse of the edges and it doesn't sound as though you
have that much. The frame may have been originally designed for glass.

I would first reinforce the long edges of the sheets, ideally with
something rigid but filling with silicone should be enough to prevent
collapse and give the channel something to grip. Then I would also do as
others have suggested and fix additional cross-pieces inside the frame
to which you can fix the twinwall itself. Clear silicone has pretty good
adhesive qualities, especially if you roughen surfaces a little before
applying it, but a mechanical fixing would probably be a good idea as
well.

HTH
Old 01-12-2008, 03:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote
"Pete C" wrote ...
Andrew Mawson wrote:

I suspect that silicone will peel off in the wet and wind as the

I doubt it, Silicon is great stuff, if after a storm I have a sheet of
broken greenhouse glass I stick it back with the stuff just along the
broken edge and these repairs will last 20 years or more and often
prevent the sheet rebreaking in the next high wind.
However I have heard of this problem happening and the owner claimed to
have stopped it by fitting rigid cross braces on every sheet (stuck on
with silicon) these apparently prevent the flexing

All fish tanks are stuck together with silicone glue these days without any
support or bracing of any kind, just glass and glue, and they last a very
long time despite the constant pressure from the water trying to push it all
apart. The only thing is, it must all be bone dry before gluing.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden