Old 08-02-2010, 04:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Cutting polycarbonate sheeting?

Anyone know the best way of cutting the large triple walled Polycarbonate
sheets? I am thinking of making a lean too shade greenhouse using this to
help with heat loss in winter. Roof is easy as I have made the base so its
whole sheets in each direction but sides will obviously have some funny
shapes and I need to check how easy it is to work with.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 08-02-2010, 04:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 16:19:54 -0000, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:

Anyone know the best way of cutting the large triple walled Polycarbonate
sheets? I am thinking of making a lean too shade greenhouse using this to
help with heat loss in winter. Roof is easy as I have made the base so its
whole sheets in each direction but sides will obviously have some funny
shapes and I need to check how easy it is to work with.

The Wickes info sheet says it all.
http://www.wickes.co.uk/content/ebiz...ges/gil/52.pdf
--

Martin

I have used that very stuff on the veranda I put across the back of the
house in 2006.

I had to cut round a down pipe. Used a fine blade in a Black and Decker Jig
Saw and an ordinary pocket knife for the final trim.

NOTHING at all to be frightened of. Fantastic material to work with.

VERY highly recommended

--
Mike

www.rneba.org.uk
www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk

Old 08-02-2010, 04:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

HI Charlie

Charlie Pridham wrote:
Anyone know the best way of cutting the large triple walled
Polycarbonate sheets? I am thinking of making a lean too shade
greenhouse using this to help with heat loss in winter. Roof is easy as
I have made the base so its whole sheets in each direction but sides
will obviously have some funny shapes and I need to check how easy it is
to work with.

Fairly easy to cut - it doesn't shatter (as the cheaper corrugated
plastic sheets do) - and you can get away with using a normal (jacksaw)
woodworking saw... If you have to do any really intricate stuff then
you can also use an electric jigsaw.

Slow & steady is the golden rule, whether you're dfoing it by hand or
with power tools - go too fast and you run the risk of melting the swarf
and then the saw-blade gets stuck! (been there - done that!)

It's worth using the proper ventilation tape at the top & bottom to seal
the flutes against insects etc.

The great thing about it is its strength. At the last house we converted
the previous owner's semi-undergrount trout pool (!) into a
semi-underground octagonal greenhouse by roofing it with triple-glazed
polycarbonate sheeting (4 x 16ft sheets!) - and with rafters every 2ft
apart it was easily strong enough to walk on ...

Hope this helps
Adrian
Old 08-02-2010, 04:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Adrian Brentnall" wrote in message

The great thing about it is its strength. At the last house we converted
the previous owner's semi-undergrount trout pool (!) into a
semi-underground octagonal greenhouse by roofing it with triple-glazed
polycarbonate sheeting (4 x 16ft sheets!) - and with rafters every 2ft
apart it was easily strong enough to walk on ...

Hope this helps
Adrian

Adrian that is fantastic news with regards to walking on it. As you will see
in the photos below

http://www.myalbum.com/Album=WG86SSIG

my joists are 18 inches apart and I have never dared walk on the
joists/sheeting. It would help matters as far as maintenance to the building
etc if I could. Your suggestion please. Blanket and planks on top?

Old 08-02-2010, 05:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
Anyone know the best way of cutting the large triple walled Polycarbonate
sheets? I am thinking of making a lean too shade greenhouse using this to
help with heat loss in winter. Roof is easy as I have made the base so its
whole sheets in each direction but sides will obviously have some funny
shapes and I need to check how easy it is to work with.

When I made the roof of our little greenhouse out of twin wall I used a
jigsaw with the correct blade for such stuff, quite easy actually. Just make
sure you mark the plastic and keep a firm hand of the saw making sure it's
flat against the sheet at all times.
You will need to tidy up (carefully) with a file or sandpaper afterwards.
The thought was much worse than the deed.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 11-02-2010, 08:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote...
Bob Hobden wrote
[...]

Thanks to all posters for the encouraging words, I will keep you all
posted when I start (next year now, but I am building the base so wanted
some idea what I was doing!)

I might add that from the same place you get the sheet you will find various
plastic strips of different profile to stick on with silicon sealer to cover
up any imperfections that only you will then know about. The open end of the
sheet needs to be sealed anyway to stop water ingress and there are special
breathable membranes for this which then get covered with a plastic strip
which will hide small errors.
You have to watch condensation inside though, a sloping roof means the water
will run down onto any supporting beam unless you stick on something to
guide it away.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 11-02-2010, 10:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , says...

"Charlie Pridham" wrote...
Bob Hobden wrote
[...]

The roof system I have seen is self supporting ie not on a wooden rafter,
its a lot more expensive but avoids any roof maintainance and as I intend
grow Lapageria under it on wires thats important, but it was the vertical
parts I was pondering as they will be all sorts of funny shapes, hence
the ease of cutting question, same firm does all the trims tapes and
fixings. I may yet change my mind as it only has one wall and when I
build the other next year the problem may look very different!
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 11-02-2010, 07:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Charlie Pridham wrote:
Anyone know the best way of cutting the large triple walled
Polycarbonate sheets? I am thinking of making a lean too shade
greenhouse using this to help with heat loss in winter. Roof is easy as
I have made the base so its whole sheets in each direction but sides
will obviously have some funny shapes and I need to check how easy it is
to work with.

A hot-wire arrangement is best, but the rig you'd have to make would be
rather large, and with full sheets, a wide table and preferably, with
rollers.

Otherwise, try cutting with one of those fery fine small panel saws,
using a coolant/lubricant. Some plastics (acrylic, for one) should be
cut using water, and paraffin works for others.

--
Rusty
Old 11-02-2010, 07:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:
I might add that from the same place you get the sheet you will find
various plastic strips of different profile to stick on with silicon
sealer to cover up any imperfections that only you will then know about.
The open end of the sheet needs to be sealed anyway to stop water
ingress /snip/

And the earwigs - don't forget the earwigs...

--
Rusty