Old 28-12-2008, 11:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Morton Bay fig

Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Sacha" typed:
On 27/12/08 00:36, in article ,
"~misfit~" wrote:

Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Sacha" typed:
On 19/12/08 11:50, in article
, "Sacha"
wrote:

On 19/12/08 01:20, in article
,
"Dave Poole" wrote:

Just had a look at the pics Sacha. While No.2 shows what appears
to be typical Ficus macrophylla trunk and 'butressing', the
foliage and fruits in No.3 are not F. macrophylla. I've had a
ferret about and found this pic of typical fruiting macrophylla
material:
http://plantarium.files.wordpress.co...acrophylla.jpg
You can see that foliage and fruits are significantly different.
I don't know what No.3 is, but I do know it isn't Ficus
macrophylla.

Thanks, David, though the mystery deepens! Perhaps someone from
Australia or NZ will see this.

Many apologies, I've just realised that the fruit pic is NOT the one
Ray took of the Moreton Bay figs! It was a hedge of some sort down
on King Edward Parade in Devonport, right outside the sailing club,
just in case that helps anyone to ID it We took hundreds of photos
of various things and I've muddled those up! The fruits we saw on
the Moreton Bay Fig are exactly as your pic shows them. Now all I
need to find out is what those 'incorrect' fruits really are!

Hi Sacha,

I'm pleased to hear you enjoyed your holiday here. :-)

There used to be a Moreton Bay Fig tree in my parents garden. I
bought the "Rubber Plant" for mum as a mother's day gift and, when
it got too big for growing inside she planted it out. However, about
15 years later it got to be too big for the garden too so had to be
felled.

Rubber plant definitely strikes a chord because we looked at these
and saw a similarity immediately. They are superb trees in Flagstaff
Terrace, Devonport.

I've studied the fruits in the other pic and, sorry, I can't help
you with identifying them. Then again, I certainly don't profess to
be an expert, far from it in fact. ;-)

I wish I could find out what they are, just out of curiosity. Nobody
seems to have any idea. I don't think they can be that rare or
unusual because they were on a hedge by the sailing club, bordering a
road, not tucked away in some exotic botanic garden.

Sacha, I've asked in a NZ group (and linked to your pic) and have been asked
what sailing club they were near as apparently there are several clubs on
Auckland's North Shore and a debate as to what the plant is.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

Old 28-12-2008, 12:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/12/08 11:55, in article , "~misfit~"
wrote:

Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Sacha" typed:

snip

I've studied the fruits in the other pic and, sorry, I can't help
you with identifying them. Then again, I certainly don't profess to
be an expert, far from it in fact. ;-)

I wish I could find out what they are, just out of curiosity. Nobody
seems to have any idea. I don't think they can be that rare or
unusual because they were on a hedge by the sailing club, bordering a
road, not tucked away in some exotic botanic garden.

Sacha, I've asked in a NZ group (and linked to your pic) and have been asked
what sailing club they were near as apparently there are several clubs on
Auckland's North Shore and a debate as to what the plant is.

Cheers,

The Devonport Sailing Club. It's on King Edward Parade and outside it has
several boats with their histories and a plaque to Peter Blake (one-time
skipper of Lion) the famous NZ yottie. AFAIR the hedge was right near the
entrance to part of the Club. In fact, we asked one of the members going
out to his car what the hedge was but he couldn't help us. Many thanks for
trying to resolve this one for us.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 29-12-2008, 06:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Sacha" typed:
On 28/12/08 11:55, in article ,
"~misfit~" wrote:

[...]

I've relayed the info to a fairly planty person on Auckland's North Shore.
We shall see.....

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

Old 29-12-2008, 11:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Somewhere on teh intarwebs "~misfit~" typed:
"~misfit~" wrote:

[...]

Ok, the person who was trying to find out for us visited the North Shore and
couldn't find the plant in question (asked if you meant Devonport *Yacht*
club?) and in the end sent your pic to a local gardening consultant of their
acquiantence. The reply was: "It is Ficus pumila a commonly grown climbing
fig"

I just did a quick Google image search for "ficus pumila fruit" and I didn't
find fruit identical to those in your pic but I found pics of green ones the
same shape:

http://www.toptropicals.com/html/top...d/nursery1.htm
http://www.botany.hawaii.edu/faculty...ic_pum_mid.jpg
http://flickr.com/photos/30628871@N00/10438699

Hope that helps Sacha. Happy new year. :-)
--
Shaun.

Old 29-12-2008, 11:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"~misfit~" wrote:

[...]

Many thanks, it helps indeed. It must be yacht club, I think but it was the
only one in that vicinity. And the fruit looks very similar though this was
grown as a hedge, not a climbing plant. It's kind of you and your friend to
go to such trouble - please will you thank him or her for me? I'm really
glad to have tracked that down - it's like an uncomfortable itch until one
does!

Old 30-12-2008, 12:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

On Dec 29, 11:12*pm, Sacha wrote:
The reply was: "It is Ficus pumila a commonly grown climbing
fig"

[snip]

Many thanks, it helps indeed. *It must be yacht club, I think but it was the
only one in that vicinity. *And the fruit looks very similar though this was
grown as a hedge, not a climbing plant.

Ficus pumila and F. radicans have juvenile and adult (arborescent)
forms in much the same way as Ivy and Euonymus japonica. Cuttings
taken of adult growth will remain shrubby with the larger leaves and
could be used as a hedge. We never see the adult phases of these
Ficus in the UK, which is my excuse for not recognising something I've
used as groundcover here!
Old 30-12-2008, 09:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Sacha" typed:

"~misfit~" wrote:

[...]

You're very welcome, I'm pleased to help. I'll pass on your thanks.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

Old 30-12-2008, 06:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/12/08 07:39, in article ,
"Sacha" wrote:

On 30/12/08 00:05, in article
, "Dave
Poole" wrote:

On Dec 29, 11:12*pm, Sacha wrote:
The reply was: "It is Ficus pumila a commonly grown climbing
fig"

[snip]

Many thanks, it helps indeed. *It must be yacht club, I think but it was the
only one in that vicinity. *And the fruit looks very similar though this was
grown as a hedge, not a climbing plant.

Ficus pumila and F. radicans have juvenile and adult (arborescent)
forms in much the same way as Ivy and Euonymus japonica. Cuttings
taken of adult growth will remain shrubby with the larger leaves and
could be used as a hedge. We never see the adult phases of these
Ficus in the UK, which is my excuse for not recognising something I've
used as groundcover here!

Thanks, Dave. All that explains a lot, I must say. The leaves were faintly
familiar to us but - we realise now - were mildly chlorotic and of course,
the fruit was totally unknown though very attractive. They were fully ripe
so in NZ I imagine it's one of those autumn fruits because we saw it around
11 December and 1 December is the official start of summer there, we were
told.

PS: apologies for following up to myself but I forgot to ask if these
fruits are edible. I'm assuming they are?

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon
(new website online)

Carpobrotus Edulis AKA Ice Plant, Hottentot Fig, Kaffir Fig Paddy's Pig[_3_] Garden Photos 0 24-03-2010 06:54 AM
Moreton bay fig id Andrew G Australia 2 27-06-2004 11:02 AM
Morton Bay fig propogation. Holy Zarquon's Singing Fish Australia 1 09-12-2003 08:04 PM
Morton Bay fig propogation. len gardener Australia 5 09-12-2003 01:12 AM
Morton Bay Fig Old and Cranky Australia 3 05-04-2003 06:34 AM