Old 20-12-2008, 03:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Wild lupins NZ

Given what slugs do to lupins in our garden, the wild ones we saw in NZ made
me nearly sick with envy. They're regarded as a terrible weed there, as is
the 'escaped' Cytisus but to us visitors they were a joy to behold and we
saw them everywhere. But this was the most remarkable display and must have
run for a mile or more on the road to Milford Sound. The scent of them
filled the car.
http://i41.tinypic.com/330y4gl.jpg

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 20-12-2008, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
Given what slugs do to lupins in our garden, the wild ones we saw in NZ made
me nearly sick with envy. They're regarded as a terrible weed there, as is
the 'escaped' Cytisus but to us visitors they were a joy to behold and we
saw them everywhere. But this was the most remarkable display and must have
run for a mile or more on the road to Milford Sound. The scent of them
filled the car.
http://i41.tinypic.com/330y4gl.jpg

Also pretty prevalent growing wild in Norway.
--
Gopher .... I know my place!
Old 21-12-2008, 12:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
..
"Sacha" wrote in message
Given what slugs do to lupins in our garden, the wild ones we saw in NZ
made
me nearly sick with envy. They're regarded as a terrible weed there, as
is
the 'escaped' Cytisus but to us visitors they were a joy to behold and we
saw them everywhere. But this was the most remarkable display and must
have
run for a mile or more on the road to Milford Sound. The scent of them
filled the car.
http://i41.tinypic.com/330y4gl.jpg

--
Sacha

We have them growing wild here on the Isle of Wight. Anyone familiar with
the beautiful Cliff Walk from Sandown to Shanklin, (I live just a few yards
from it) will know of the area between the path and the Cliff Edge which is
where Wild Lupins and many other 'ex' garden plants grow. Why 'ex' garden
plants? With erosion of the Cliff over the many years, I assume that once
upon a very long time ago these were in fact the gardens of the houses.

Mike

Old 21-12-2008, 02:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
Given what slugs do to lupins in our garden, the wild ones we saw in NZ
made
me nearly sick with envy. They're regarded as a terrible weed there, as
is
the 'escaped' Cytisus but to us visitors they were a joy to behold and we
saw them everywhere. But this was the most remarkable display and must
have
run for a mile or more on the road to Milford Sound. The scent of them
filled the car.
http://i41.tinypic.com/330y4gl.jpg

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon
(new website online)

Amazing thats going on as wallpaper right away to remind me thats there is
a summer
albeit 6 months away or in NZ
DerekW

Old 21-12-2008, 02:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/12/08 14:04, in article , "Derek"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

It was an astonishing sight, stretching on and on beside a semi-dry river
bed. We saw several others but none as long or wide as this one. The other
thing was the Cytisus which simply smothered some areas. Near Wanaka in
particular we saw a lot of dog roses growing along the roads and creepikng
into the fields. As for summer......it was a bit of a wrench to leave NZ
where people were in shorts and walking barefoot in the streets, getting
their boats ready for summer and cleaning off the bbq1

Old 23-12-2008, 10:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gopher" wrote in message
In message , Sacha
writes
Given what slugs do to lupins in our garden, the wild ones we saw in NZ
made
me nearly sick with envy. They're regarded as a terrible weed there, as
is
the 'escaped' Cytisus but to us visitors they were a joy to behold and we
saw them everywhere. But this was the most remarkable display and must
have
run for a mile or more on the road to Milford Sound. The scent of them
filled the car.
http://i41.tinypic.com/330y4gl.jpg

Also pretty prevalent growing wild in Norway.
--

Also they grow wild everywhere in Ushuaia. But N.Z. was the best I've ever
seen.

Memo to self: make sure it's cool when they're about. The slugs will get
'em in hot weather.

someone

Old 23-12-2008, 10:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , someone
writes

"Gopher" wrote in message
In message , Sacha
writes
[...]

Ushuaia eh........ brings back memories. Long way down there but a made
a wonderful pre 1982 trip all the way via Valdes Pen., Perito Moreno
etc..... but never saw a lupin! Plan on visiting NZ in late Oct/early
Nov next year. Everyone raves about it so it's about time. Anyone got
any must sees on Stewart Island (mainly going for the birdlife).
--
Gopher .... I know my place!
Old 24-12-2008, 08:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gopher" wrote in message
In message , someone
writes

"Gopher" wrote in message
In message , Sacha
writes
[...]

Gopher

You could try eating some "mutton bird"
http://www.aatravel.co.nz/101/Region...-delicacy.html
or view it
http://www.stewartisland.co.nz/About...and/Birds.html
Stewart Island Ball (byo female is probably recommended)
http://www.eventfinder.co.nz/2007/au...d-singles-ball

rob

Old 24-12-2008, 10:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/12/08 22:52, in article , "Gopher"
wrote:

In message , someone
writes

"Gopher" wrote in message
In message , Sacha
writes
[...]

We didn't get to Stewart Island - ran out of time and it's a bit that has to
be organised re flights or ferries but it would be a wonderful experience, I
should think. We would certainly urge you to visit Doubtful Sound where we
saw fur seals and Fiordland crested penguins. The latter are only seen
there in spring and autumn. Those particular lupins were on the road to
Milford Sound and that's where we saw the cheeky Keas up at the Homer
tunnel. Everyone we know agrees that the South Island is the more
spectacular and of course, it's even less populated. We were also told that
a trip to the Catlins is well worth it for the wildlife but at the time we
were considering that the weather was wet and we were advised against it -
bit dreary then, apparently. The North Island is remarkable for the lush
growth and sub-tropical plants etc.