Old 27-12-2008, 06:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default New Year's Day plant count

"Sacha" wrote in message
We usually try - don't always succeed - to go round the garden on NYD to
see
what is flowering on that day. I thought it might be interesting if
everyone on urg did that and compared notes, if they are feeling able to
do
so, of course. ;-))
For example, we have primroses out at present, as well as all the usual
suspects like Lonicera purpusii and Sarcococcas, Viburnum tinus etc. and
on
Christmas Eve we saw two tiny flowered daffs in someone's garden in
Ivybridge, about 30 mins down the A38 from here.

--

I doubt anything is flowering under this lot:
http://i39.tinypic.com/wioi13.jpg

Graham

Old 27-12-2008, 07:28 PM
Registered User

I think this is a great idea, but I'm already starting to feel inadequate. I know this garden, where I've been for less than 2 years, needs more winter colour. However, other lists will give me some good ideas.
Old 27-12-2008, 07:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/12/08 18:29, in article , "graham"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
We usually try - don't always succeed - to go round the garden on NYD to
see
what is flowering on that day. I thought it might be interesting if
everyone on urg did that and compared notes, if they are feeling able to
do
so, of course. ;-))
For example, we have primroses out at present, as well as all the usual
suspects like Lonicera purpusii and Sarcococcas, Viburnum tinus etc. and
on
Christmas Eve we saw two tiny flowered daffs in someone's garden in
Ivybridge, about 30 mins down the A38 from here.

--

I doubt anything is flowering under this lot:
http://i39.tinypic.com/wioi13.jpg

Graham

I think you may well be right! Pretty though.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 27-12-2008, 08:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
We usually try - don't always succeed - to go round the garden on NYD to
see
what is flowering on that day. I thought it might be interesting if
everyone on urg did that and compared notes, if they are feeling able to
do
so, of course. ;-))
For example, we have primroses out at present, as well as all the usual
suspects like Lonicera purpusii and Sarcococcas, Viburnum tinus etc. and
on
Christmas Eve we saw two tiny flowered daffs in someone's garden in
Ivybridge, about 30 mins down the A38 from here.

--

I doubt anything is flowering under this lot:
http://i39.tinypic.com/wioi13.jpg

Graham

I think you may well be right! Pretty though.
--

Not when you are shovelling it off the drive! I leave the crabapples on the
tree for the birds and any deer that venture into the neighbourhood.

Old 27-12-2008, 10:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Dec 27, 6:29*pm, "Spider" wrote:
"Sacha" wrote in message

We usually try - don't always succeed - to go round the garden on NYD to
see
what is flowering on that day. *I thought it might be interesting if
everyone on urg did that and compared notes, if they are feeling able to
do
so, of course. *;-))
For example, we have primroses out at present, as well as all the usual
suspects like Lonicera purpusii and Sarcococcas, Viburnum tinus etc. and
on
Christmas Eve we saw two tiny flowered daffs in someone's garden in
Ivybridge, about 30 mins down the A38 from here.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon
(new website online)

I shall certainly do a plant count on NYD. *I usually do it on Christmas
Day, but have decided to join the rest of the gardening world this year. *I
usually to a flower/flower bud count, berry count, and coloured bark count,
so that I'm including all forms of colour in the garden - with the exception
of the garden gate, et al.

Spider

I'd love to do a plant count but this year the snow is too deep. I
moved some snow where I know Snowdrops grow but I gave up as the snow
was hard and icy and I was afraid that I would damage any bulbs that
might be beneath.

Judith
Old 27-12-2008, 10:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Dec 27, 6:29*pm, "graham" wrote:
"Sacha" wrote in message

... We usually try - don't always succeed - to go round the garden on NYD to
see
what is flowering on that day. *I thought it might be interesting if
everyone on urg did that and compared notes, if they are feeling able to
do
so, of course. *;-))
For example, we have primroses out at present, as well as all the usual
suspects like Lonicera purpusii and Sarcococcas, Viburnum tinus etc. and
on
Christmas Eve we saw two tiny flowered daffs in someone's garden in
Ivybridge, about 30 mins down the A38 from here.

--

I doubt anything is flowering under this lot:http://i39.tinypic.com/wioi13.jpg

Graham

What are you doing in my garden Graham :-)

Judith
Old 27-12-2008, 10:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
We usually try - don't always succeed - to go round the garden on NYD to see
what is flowering on that day. I thought it might be interesting if
everyone on urg did that and compared notes, if they are feeling able to do
so, of course. ;-))
For example, we have primroses out at present, as well as all the usual
suspects like Lonicera purpusii and Sarcococcas, Viburnum tinus etc. and on
Christmas Eve we saw two tiny flowered daffs in someone's garden in
Ivybridge, about 30 mins down the A38 from here.

We did pick a vase full of roses today, in spite of the cold. There's
also some cyclamen going.

Otherwise, the bark's the thing, the snakebark maples are at their best
now. A. davidii 'Ernest Wilson', 'Karmen'; A. capillipes, A. x
conspicuum 'Silver Vein' and 'Elephant's ear'; A. pectinatum 'Alice'
is particularly interesting; A. micranthum 'Candelabrum'; the
rufinerves.

The red barked plants are also glowing, the various Acers like Sango
kaku, Eddisbury, Phoenix, and also the Cornus albas. Always pretty
against the background of a green lawn.

But ouch, it's cold. -4C for forecast in the Orne tonight. We do
not approve.

-E
Old 27-12-2008, 11:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith in France" wrote in message
On Dec 27, 6:29 pm, "graham" wrote:
"Sacha" wrote in message

... We usually try - don't
always succeed - to go round the garden on NYD to
see
what is flowering on that day. I thought it might be interesting if
everyone on urg did that and compared notes, if they are feeling able to
do
so, of course. ;-))
For example, we have primroses out at present, as well as all the usual
suspects like Lonicera purpusii and Sarcococcas, Viburnum tinus etc. and
on
Christmas Eve we saw two tiny flowered daffs in someone's garden in
Ivybridge, about 30 mins down the A38 from here.

--

I doubt anything is flowering under this
lot:http://i39.tinypic.com/wioi13.jpg

Graham

What are you doing in my garden Graham :-)
Just counting{;-)
Graham

Old 28-12-2008, 06:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/12/08 19:28, in article ,
"Janet Conroy" wrote:

I think this is a great idea, but I'm already starting to feel
inadequate. I know this garden, where I've been for less than 2 years,
needs more winter colour. However, other lists will give me some good
ideas.

Don't feel inadequate! Others' gardens can give inspiration and a lot
depends on where you live, too.

Old 28-12-2008, 06:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Dec 27, 6:29 pm, "graham" wrote:
"Sacha" wrote in message

[...]

I think you two might be let off. ;-))

Old 29-12-2008, 09:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/12/08 18:01, in article ,
"Chris Hogg" wrote:

On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 06:46:55 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

On 27/12/08 18:27, in article
,
"Chris Hogg" wrote:
snip

No daffs (we haven't any early vars, but seen them elsewhere in west
Cornwall) and no camellias, which surprises me a bit.

No Camellias? Our C. sasnaqua Narumigata is out now and flowering well but
it is an early one, of course.

Most of mine are japonicas, with the odd Williamsii x's, although my
mother over at St. Ives has had one or two early flowering japonicas
out for several weeks and I've seen others around.

No temperatures below freezing so far this winter, and only a couple
of very light grass-frosts.

I have one of the lurgies so didn't go out yesterday but Ray tells me that
frost stayed in shady pockets in the garden all day. The wind was in the
east and it was very cold.

Bitterly cold east wind here too, blowing half a gale this PM, but
it's keeping the temperature around 2 - 3C at night, with only a trace
of grass-frost visible Saturday AM, so not all bad.

Ray reckons he can smell snow in the air. When he first said that to me
years ago, I didn't believe him but he's been proved right too many times
for me to scoff now. It certainly has that look about it today - still very
cold and a leaden sky with no wind at all. It feels as if the world is
holding its breath.

Old 29-12-2008, 10:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/12/08 09:37, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 09:07:12 +0000, Sacha wrote:

On 28/12/08 18:01, in article
,
"Chris Hogg" wrote:

On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 06:46:55 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

On 27/12/08 18:27, in article
,
"Chris Hogg" wrote:
[...]

The Met Office thinks you are going to be cold but dry for the rest of the
year,
weather wise that is.
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/...ast_irsat.html

So far, they're right. But lying between moor and sea on a peninsula,
anything can happen in a matter of minutes and it does, frequently!

Old 29-12-2008, 12:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/12/08 11:02, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:
snip

It's bright and frosty here, and extremely brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

No sign of surfers today, yet.
http://www.scheveningenlive.nl/beach1.html

I should hope not! I imagine they'd like to keep their noses, even if all
their other bits are covered up!