Old 26-12-2008, 01:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default New Year's Day plant count

We usually try - don't always succeed - to go round the garden on NYD to see
what is flowering on that day. I thought it might be interesting if
everyone on urg did that and compared notes, if they are feeling able to do
so, of course. ;-))
For example, we have primroses out at present, as well as all the usual
suspects like Lonicera purpusii and Sarcococcas, Viburnum tinus etc. and on
Christmas Eve we saw two tiny flowered daffs in someone's garden in
Ivybridge, about 30 mins down the A38 from here.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 26-12-2008, 05:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Martin
writes
On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 13:41:53 +0000, Sacha wrote:

We usually try - don't always succeed - to go round the garden on NYD to see
what is flowering on that day. I thought it might be interesting if
everyone on urg did that and compared notes, if they are feeling able to do
so, of course. ;-))
For example, we have primroses out at present, as well as all the usual
suspects like Lonicera purpusii and Sarcococcas, Viburnum tinus etc. and on
Christmas Eve we saw two tiny flowered daffs in someone's garden in
Ivybridge, about 30 mins down the A38 from here.

The neighbour's ginger Tom is out in our garden.

I spotted one on my fence this morning, waiting for birds.
The swine disappeared as soon as I put my hand on the door handle.

I got two cats with one cat-apult a few days ago. A tortoiseshell
was sat on the bottom fence, close to the fence shared with a neighbour.

I dropped into a leopard crouch, retrieved the gat from its resting
place, loaded a ball bearing and slid silently out of the side door in a
way which would have left Foggy Mildew amazed.
I took aim then rounded the corner and fired, the ball whistling through
the foliage 2" above the moggie. It disappeared over the fence,
followed a second later by a second one, the ginger Tom, which had been
lurking in the neighbour's garden.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 26-12-2008, 05:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
..
wrote:

[...]

Gordon. Skinned and cooked, they taste like Rabbit

Bon Appetite

Mike

Old 26-12-2008, 10:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 17:35:52 -0000, "'Mike'"
wrote:

Gordon. Skinned and cooked, they taste like Rabbit

Bon Appetite

I know you only post that same thing at every oportunity to offend cat
lovers, but you should try to get your facts right if you want to be
believed.
Cats are carnivores, rabbits are harbivores. It's very unlikely that
their bodies built up from totally different diets will taste the
same.
Don't bother to say you know because you have eaten cats, we no longer
believe a word you say.
Old 26-12-2008, 10:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
..
wrote:

Gordon. Skinned and cooked, they taste like Rabbit

Bon Appetite

I know you only post that same thing at every oportunity to offend cat
lovers, but you should try to get your facts right if you want to be
believed.
Cats are carnivores, rabbits are harbivores. It's very unlikely that
their bodies built up from totally different diets will taste the
same.
Don't bother to say you know because you have eaten cats, we no longer
believe a word you say.

Oh dear :-((

Poor you.

Let's hope that 2009 brings a better and more understanding you.

Kindest possible regards

Mike
Who has never eaten Rabbit tastealike, but knows a man who has during the
occupation of Holland during the war

Old 26-12-2008, 11:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , 'Mike'
writes

Something after my .sig separator, which meant it disappeared.
:-)

Something about eating cats, I think...
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 27-12-2008, 11:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

We usually try - don't always succeed - to go round the garden on NYD to
see
what is flowering on that day. I thought it might be interesting if
everyone on urg did that and compared notes, if they are feeling able to
do
so, of course. ;-))
For example, we have primroses out at present, as well as all the usual
suspects like Lonicera purpusii and Sarcococcas, Viburnum tinus etc. and
on
Christmas Eve we saw two tiny flowered daffs in someone's garden in
Ivybridge, about 30 mins down the A38 from here.

The neighbour's ginger Tom is out in our garden.
--

Martin

Treated her indoors to a "Scattercat" lots of innocent fun laser sighting
the full monty
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=222505
DerekW

Old 27-12-2008, 11:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/12/08 08:32, in article ,
"AriesVal" wrote:

On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 13:41:53 +0000, Sacha wrote:

We usually try - don't always succeed - to go round the garden on NYD to see
what is flowering on that day. I thought it might be interesting if
everyone on urg did that and compared notes, if they are feeling able to do
so, of course. ;-))
For example, we have primroses out at present, as well as all the usual
suspects like Lonicera purpusii and Sarcococcas, Viburnum tinus etc. and on
Christmas Eve we saw two tiny flowered daffs in someone's garden in
Ivybridge, about 30 mins down the A38 from here.

Good idea. I may do that later on today weather permitting. I'm not
familiar with most of the latin names tho and even when I'm told them I tend
to forget but I will take some photos of what is flowering and perhaps
someone will be kind enough to name them for me ?

I'm sure you'll get lots of answers - it will be urg's New Year quiz,
perhaps? ;-))

Old 27-12-2008, 11:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Derek
writes

"Martin" wrote in message

The neighbour's ginger Tom is out in our garden.
Martin

Treated her indoors to a "Scattercat" lots of innocent fun laser sighting
the full monty
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=222505
DerekW

Tee Hee. I bought one of those and tried it on cats, dogs and
finally at very short range on a squirrel, the 'laser' sight visible on
its head.

No reaction whatsoever, so I returned it for a refund.
It might have been just one faulty unit, I suppose.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 27-12-2008, 11:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"AriesVal" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

But the point seems to be that we do it on the same day ie NYD.
Not today !
Not for the first time, Martin has succeeded in throwing in one of his red
herrings - only this time it's a cat !
By the time that is sorted, everybody has forgotten what Sacha had
suggested.

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 27-12-2008, 11:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/12/08 11:40, in article , "Pete
Stockdale" wrote:

"AriesVal" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I'll give urg memories a prod on NYE - if I remember to do so. ;-) We've
had a few very mild days here which must have produced optimism in some
plants and now we're having quite a cold snap which will alter things again,
perhaps. That's why we try to do it on NYD each year because it's a
constant factor. A week here and there can make quite a difference.

Old 27-12-2008, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gordon H" wrote in message
In message , Derek
writes

"Martin" wrote in message

The neighbour's ginger Tom is out in our garden.
Martin

Treated her indoors to a "Scattercat" lots of innocent fun laser sighting
the full monty
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=222505
DerekW

Tee Hee. I bought one of those and tried it on cats, dogs and
finally at very short range on a squirrel, the 'laser' sight visible on
its head.

No reaction whatsoever, so I returned it for a refund.
It might have been just one faulty unit, I suppose.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply

Certainly works cat hates it , lab is quieter in the car when he gets
blipped now there is a yappy little mutt close by that spends all the
daylight hours barking at passing anything- cats, birds, planes, butterflys,
me in the garden- that is due for a surprise very shortly much more
neighbour friendly than a well aimed bucket of water
DerekW

Old 27-12-2008, 03:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Pete Stockdale
writes

But the point seems to be that we do it on the same day ie NYD.
Not today !
Not for the first time, Martin has succeeded in throwing in one of his red
herrings - only this time it's a cat !
By the time that is sorted, everybody has forgotten what Sacha had
suggested.

Everybody?
I can tell you what will be flowering on NYD this year and next year and
the year after in my garden. [47] Mahonia Charity.

Only the cats vary.

[47] And for at least the last 15 years.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 27-12-2008, 04:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
On 27/12/08 11:40, in article
, "Pete
Stockdale" wrote:

"AriesVal" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Well it prodded mine, Daffodills I thought and rushed up and sure enough
the leaves are not showing yet so managed a quick cut of the grass before
its too late, will do the honours re flowers on NYD :~)
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 27-12-2008, 06:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
We usually try - don't always succeed - to go round the garden on NYD to
see
what is flowering on that day. I thought it might be interesting if
everyone on urg did that and compared notes, if they are feeling able to
do
so, of course. ;-))
For example, we have primroses out at present, as well as all the usual
suspects like Lonicera purpusii and Sarcococcas, Viburnum tinus etc. and
on
Christmas Eve we saw two tiny flowered daffs in someone's garden in
Ivybridge, about 30 mins down the A38 from here.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon
(new website online)

I shall certainly do a plant count on NYD. I usually do it on Christmas
Day, but have decided to join the rest of the gardening world this year. I
usually to a flower/flower bud count, berry count, and coloured bark count,
so that I'm including all forms of colour in the garden - with the exception
of the garden gate, et al.

Spider