Old 11-01-2009, 12:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Soot

Thanks for all the answers y problem of soot disposal!
If there is the slightest chance that it will keep slugs and snails away
I will use it!!

Old 11-01-2009, 01:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11 Jan, 12:05, Ann Hartley wrote:
Thanks for all the answers y problem of soot disposal!
If there is the slightest chance that it will keep slugs and snails away
I will use it!!

This year I'm experimenting with Slug Buggers. These are pellets made
with dirty and knotted sheep fleece used for the textile industry.
Nobody get poisoned, not the cat, your kids or even the slugs. The
later just hate crawling over the wool. These pellets gradually
biodegrade, fertilising plants and is an effective mulch and compost.
It's made by Kindtoo.

Watch this space!
Old 11-01-2009, 04:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11 Jan, 15:26, Anne Welsh Jackson wrote:
An "old wives" gardening tips book suggests hair clippings, for
keeping slugs away from plants. *When you think how irritating
short pieces of hair can be, after a visit to the hairdressers, it's
not hard to see why the slugs wouldn't want to climb over a
barrier created with it. *

Who do you call 'old wives'? ;o)

Which reminds me, got this email the other day from a woman who's
looking to get lots of hair from dogs ...

Here goes: - "I am a spinner, I spin yarn on a spinning wheel. More
usually a spinner works with wool or alpaca but I am interested in
trying to use long dog-hair fibres to make yarn. If you have a large
long-haired dog (such as long-haired akita or old english sheep dog)
and would be willing to save shed hair, I would be willing to share
some of the yarn produced, assuming the experiment works. If you think
you can help please do get in contact. kath at kathsrealm dot com".

If any of yous have long hair dogs, like I do, send her your hair -
that is if you can spare some from your slug traps ;o)
Old 11-01-2009, 09:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ann Hartley" wrote in message
. com...

Thanks for all the answers y problem of soot disposal!
If there is the slightest chance that it will keep slugs and snails away
I will use it!!

I didn't see your original post but according to my late grandparents you
can dig it into your soil to improve it and mixed with salt you can clean
your teeth with it.

Old 11-01-2009, 09:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 21:29:17 -0000, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"Ann Hartley" wrote in message
a.com...

Thanks for all the answers y problem of soot disposal!
If there is the slightest chance that it will keep slugs and snails away
I will use it!!

I didn't see your original post but according to my late grandparents you
can dig it into your soil to improve it and mixed with salt you can clean
your teeth with it.

You can clean your teeth with just salt, but who wants to nowadays?

Well, not many of us now as we have toothpaste. I just thought some might
find it interesting.

Old 11-01-2009, 10:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 11, 4:58*pm, wrote:
[...]

I've got long hair!!!!!!

Judith
Old 11-01-2009, 10:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 11, 10:06*pm, Martin wrote:
On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 21:59:18 -0000, "Christina Websell"

wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"Ann Hartley" wrote in message
ia.com...

Thanks for all the answers y problem of soot disposal!
If there is the slightest chance that it will keep slugs and snails away
I will use it!!

I didn't see your original post but according to my late grandparents you
can dig it into your soil to improve it and mixed with salt you can clean
your teeth with it.

You can clean your teeth with just salt, but who wants to nowadays?

Well, not many of us now as we have toothpaste. *I just thought some might
find it interesting.

I found it interesting.

Just part of a long history of ways to get rid of soot without throwing it away.
:-)
--

Martin

Do you have any ideas that we could use in the garden Martin?

Judith

Old 11-01-2009, 10:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 11, 1:58*pm, wrote:
On 11 Jan, 12:05, Ann Hartley wrote:

Thanks for all the answers y problem of soot disposal!
If there is the slightest chance that it will keep slugs and snails away
I will use it!!

This year I'm experimenting with Slug Buggers. These are pellets made
with dirty and knotted sheep fleece used for the textile industry.
Nobody get poisoned, not the cat, your kids or even the slugs. The
later just hate crawling over the wool. These pellets gradually
biodegrade, fertilising plants and is an effective mulch and compost.
It's made by Kindtoo.

Watch this space!

Do they work if so, I would be very interested.

Judith
Old 11-01-2009, 10:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/1/09 22:21, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 22:15:01 +0000, Sacha wrote:

On 11/1/09 22:05, in article
,
"Martin" wrote:

On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 21:55:46 +0000, Sacha wrote:

On 11/1/09 21:42, in article
,

wrote:

"Ann Hartley" wrote in message
. com...

Thanks for all the answers y problem of soot disposal!
If there is the slightest chance that it will keep slugs and snails away
I will use it!!

I didn't see your original post but according to my late grandparents you
can dig it into your soil to improve it and mixed with salt you can clean
your teeth with it.

You can clean your teeth with just salt, but who wants to nowadays?

Sherpa Tenzing had one filling as a result of following that regime!

I've got only one without following that regime. I broke a tooth eating
crispy
bacon.
The Romans invented toothpaste but neither tooth brushes nor tooth paste
tubes.

They also invented the first loo paper which was a sponge on the end of a
stick. No thanks!

Maybe that was really a toothbrush. I haven't got a lot of faith in
archeologists. )

Yes, well..... You can test it before me, thanks!

Mary Beard's book about Pompeii is nice. Did you know that some archeologists
think the rich in Pompeii kept their garden tools in their living rooms,
rather
than that houses severely damaged 17years earlier by an earthquake were used
as
store rooms? LOL

Well, I've been to Pompeii and would happily return tomorrow. I'm sure a
lot of us could say that but one thing they had going there was a civilised
community with a terrific civic organisation. Spades in the posh living
room along with the fountains or wonderfully tiled floors, doesn't seem to
do it for me! They appear to have lived a "place for everything and
everything in its place" sort of life. I know it's extremely famous but I
was genuinely moved by the Cave Canem floor tiling! It's small important
things like that which every school child should see, just to learn that
their generation isn't the centre of the universe! I felt the same when I
saw a cyclamen forcing its way through the paving stones of Epidavros
amphitheatre. We come and go but nature, whether through plants, animals or
the human animal, goes marching on.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 11-01-2009, 11:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/1/09 22:46, in article , "Christina
Websell" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 11/1/09 22:05, in article
,
"Martin" wrote:

On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 21:55:46 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

On 11/1/09 21:42, in article
,

wrote:

[...]

It must have been better than the alternative which seems to have been
nothing at all.

Possibly depended on where you lived? I know that e.g. Lavatera leaves,
which are genuinely Andrex on a branch, were used as loo paper by
e.g.fishermen on the Channel Islands and I'm absolutely sure others must
have done the same. You need to feel them to see what I mean but they're so
soft that it's quite extraordinary. Grass wisps were used in the same way
in harsher climates. I assume the Romans used sponges because sponges grow
in the Med and because grass didn't much in the summer!

Old 11-01-2009, 11:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 21:59:18 -0000, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

"Ann Hartley" wrote in message
dia.com...

Thanks for all the answers y problem of soot disposal!
If there is the slightest chance that it will keep slugs and snails
away
I will use it!!

I didn't see your original post but according to my late grandparents
you
can dig it into your soil to improve it and mixed with salt you can
clean
your teeth with it.

You can clean your teeth with just salt, but who wants to nowadays?

Well, not many of us now as we have toothpaste. I just thought some might
find it interesting.

I found it interesting.

Just part of a long history of ways to get rid of soot without throwing it
away.
:-)

I spent a lot of time with my grandparents when I was a child. They brought
up 4 children during the war when things were scarce and what my grandmother
taught me about making meals out of nothing much and making do and mend is
useful to me in these days of the credit crunch.

Coal Soot Jeanne Stockdale United Kingdom 12 06-06-2005 01:24 PM
soot in compost? Klara United Kingdom 19 06-12-2004 10:36 PM
Ashes & Soot in Pond stricks760 Ponds 3 28-11-2003 05:44 PM
soot on my camellia? John Martin United Kingdom 4 26-01-2003 03:06 PM
Kyoto Treaty & Soot From Burning Wood Robert Cohen alt.forestry 2 11-11-2002 04:14 PM