Old 02-02-2009, 04:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default It's snowing!

Finally, it started around lunchtime today and has been snowing in fits and
starts ever since. At present the sky is clearing but as the temperature
drops, who knows what tonight will bring! If it's snowed overnight I'm
determined to have some photos of the house from the bottom of the garden
before there are dirty great footprints all over the lawn! The greenhouses
are snugged down for the night and the sun is going down in flames. It all
looks very pretty but my golly, it's cold! It went only to -2C last night
but the wind made it seem much colder. I'm so glad we still have wooden
fascia boards and eaves etc. so the birds have somewhere to tuck in!

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 02-02-2009, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

It started here about 4.15 this afternoon. Quite a novelty to see it
coming down so thickly. Then it stopped and has started to melt.
Still time for more though and maybe with a night-time drop in temps,
it might even stick. Pics of the house in snow will look fabulous
Sacha - especially from the bottom of the garden.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2683436/
"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

Lovely and white this morning in Bristol.
I've taken pictures of my garden front and back.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

Sacha wrote:

Childishly, I'm really hoping the heavens open, though right now it's very
clear and cold. *I've asked everyone to keep clear of the big lawn so that I
can go down one of the side paths to the very bottom of the garden and come
up to it that way, leaving a pristine surface. *That said, we probably won't
get one more flake! *;-)

There was just a light dusting overnight here and when the winds
changed to the South West during the morning, all the snow
disappeared. Considering I normally loathe cold weather and have
never been pleased to see snow, I felt strangely cheated! North and
mid Devon were clobbered as well as parts of Cornwall, but a thin
sliver of the south coast escaped, which is either good or bad
depending upon your point of view. Overnight rain and a min of 4C
means that Wednesday is dawning a typical late winter's day for us.

Any losses in your garden, David, or has everything come through intact?

To be honest I've not looked much to see if there's been any damage
this winter. It won't make any difference now, so there's no point in
me worrying about losses. The only thing I can make out is that the
utterly obnoxious Senecio mikanioides, which is worse than any
bindweed imaginable, appears to have taken a very hard knock and that
is a very welcome consequence of the cold. Fingers crossed that all
local outbreaks of this have been killed or at least severely
damaged. To think this was a popular pot-plant at one stage!

I don't believe in giving additional protection and it will be
interesting to see just how much comes through. In terms of absolute
temperatures, it's not been that cold here with -3C being the worst.
However, the duration of cold is often more damaging than a sub-zero
plunge and during the last cold spate we had day after day of
temperatures not moving out of the -1C to 2C band - and that could
have finished some of the more tender plants off. Taking the glass
half-full approach, I look upon this as an opportunity to try
something different - including that white form of Hardenbergia
violacea!

Those Acacias at the front of the house whose name I always forget, is
looking very, very sad

The big Acacia on the coast road between Torquay and Paignton has come
through well and the flower buds are just breaking. The various
Acacia baileyanas around town have been in flower for a while so this
cold winter has done little to delay flowering, With daffs well
advanced and Crocus showing their buds, we only need a few mild days
for the spring show to start.

Old 04-02-2009, 11:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 4/2/09 08:10, in article
, "Dave
Poole" wrote:

Sacha wrote:

Childishly, I'm really hoping the heavens open, though right now it's very
clear and cold. *I've asked everyone to keep clear of the big lawn so that I
can go down one of the side paths to the very bottom of the garden and come
up to it that way, leaving a pristine surface. *That said, we probably won't
get one more flake! *;-)

There was just a light dusting overnight here and when the winds
changed to the South West during the morning, all the snow
disappeared. Considering I normally loathe cold weather and have
never been pleased to see snow, I felt strangely cheated! North and
mid Devon were clobbered as well as parts of Cornwall, but a thin
sliver of the south coast escaped, which is either good or bad
depending upon your point of view. Overnight rain and a min of 4C
means that Wednesday is dawning a typical late winter's day for us.

The wind went round to the SW yesterday and the thaw started almost
immediately. There are a few tiny pockets of snow or ice left here and
there but no more than that. A couple of the paths are still a bit slippery
but it's going fast and now a slight breeze has got up which should help the
process. The danger now will be water running down the lanes and making
them very wet!

Any losses in your garden, David, or has everything come through intact?

To be honest I've not looked much to see if there's been any damage
this winter. It won't make any difference now, so there's no point in
me worrying about losses. The only thing I can make out is that the
utterly obnoxious Senecio mikanioides, which is worse than any
bindweed imaginable, appears to have taken a very hard knock and that
is a very welcome consequence of the cold. Fingers crossed that all
local outbreaks of this have been killed or at least severely
damaged. To think this was a popular pot-plant at one stage!

Normally I love yellow, it's my favourite colour. But this is such an eggy
yellow that I can't love it. Ray found it at a show, having lost it some
years ago and customers do like it but it's just not my thing.

I don't believe in giving additional protection and it will be
interesting to see just how much comes through. In terms of absolute
temperatures, it's not been that cold here with -3C being the worst.
However, the duration of cold is often more damaging than a sub-zero
plunge and during the last cold spate we had day after day of
temperatures not moving out of the -1C to 2C band - and that could
have finished some of the more tender plants off. Taking the glass
half-full approach, I look upon this as an opportunity to try
something different - including that white form of Hardenbergia
violacea!

Ah now, you're talking. That really is a beauty.

Those Acacias at the front of the house whose name I always forget, is
looking very, very sad

The big Acacia on the coast road between Torquay and Paignton has come
through well and the flower buds are just breaking. The various
Acacia baileyanas around town have been in flower for a while so this
cold winter has done little to delay flowering, With daffs well
advanced and Crocus showing their buds, we only need a few mild days
for the spring show to start.

The air is certainly softer and warmer today and that biting cold has gone,
thank goodness.

Old 04-02-2009, 11:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message

from Dave Poole contains these words:

The big Acacia on the coast road between Torquay and Paignton has come
through well and the flower buds are just breaking. The various
Acacia baileyanas around town have been in flower for a while so this
cold winter has done little to delay flowering, With daffs well
advanced and Crocus showing their buds, we only need a few mild days
for the spring show to start.

My blueberry thinks it's spring, and a tree paeony which I meant to take
to my sister for Chrimble is about to burst into flower.

My fault for leaving it in its pot, inside.

Too cold to put it out to grass. Ah well, must pot it on FTTB...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 04-02-2009, 11:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

The air is certainly softer and warmer today and that biting cold has gone,
thank goodness.

There's always tomorrow.

And tomorrow.

And tomorrow.