Old 17-02-2009, 02:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Giving the garden a lift

Sadly I have reached the stage, as do many ancient and disabled
gardeners, when I can't reach ground level. So either I have to give
up gardening or the garden has to come up to me. As it was another
beautifully mild day here in God's Own County, I struggled through
clumps of snowdrops and crocuses, fought my way past masses of
emerging daff buds and started making a raised bed. Being a great re-
user (my son calls me Stig, not meaning the Top Gear one) I am using
some old doors that I kept for some future project. So my raised bed
will be three feet high - let's see the carrot fly get at this one!
Fortunately I have three mature compost heaps that need emptying so
there will be no problem filling it. My pair of resident robins seem
to approve.

Any other old crips who have raised beds and have any advice or "don't
do thats", I would be delighted to hear from you.
Old 17-02-2009, 02:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
.................................................. ..............
"moghouse" wrote in message
[...]

My main comment here is, what when the doors rot?

Mike

Old 17-02-2009, 05:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Feb 17, 2:23*pm, "'Mike'" wrote:

Any other old crips who have raised beds and have any advice or "don't
do thats", I would be delighted to hear from you.

My main comment here is, what when the doors rot?

Well they are quite solid and substantial, but without being too
morbid, I think they will see me out!
Old 17-02-2009, 05:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"moghouse" wrote
"'Mike'" wrote:

Any other old crips who have raised beds and have any advice or "don't
do thats", I would be delighted to hear from you.

My main comment here is, what when the doors rot?

Well they are quite solid and substantial, but without being too
morbid, I think they will see me out!

I would think about lining the inside with plastic sheeting to keep the damp
soil away from the wood. Certainly vastly improves the lifespan of log roll
and stops the soil being washed out.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 18-02-2009, 02:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Feb 17, 5:41*pm, "Bob Hobden" wrote:

My main comment here is, what when the doors rot?

Well they are quite solid and substantial, but without being too
morbid, I think they will see me out!

I would think about lining the inside with plastic sheeting to keep the damp
soil away from the wood. Certainly vastly improves the lifespan of log roll
and stops the soil being washed out.

I think that is an excellent idea (after all I may survive longer than
expected!) I have done that before when making compost heaps out of
pallets.
I have ferreted in my Stig store and found a few sheets of heavy grade
plastic and I have lined the inside this morning.
Old 18-02-2009, 02:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Feb 18, 11:46*am, "Part_No" wrote:

Any other old crips who have raised beds and have any advice or "don't
do thats", I would be delighted to hear from you.

Stig'o'the dump......brings back memories

Bet a few first early spuds will love all that deep and mature compost!

Soon be time....4 more weeks?

God's Own County......Yorkshire?

Yorkshire? I've only been there twice (in the sixties). During the
trip to Leeds it rained heavily all the time and I only saw the inside
of the hotel. The other visit was to Bradford (or should that be
Bratford?) We got lost and asked a teenaged girl for directions. She
replied, "Well, tha goes down wath........" After that we could not
understand a word. In the evening we went to the pub, full of men in
cloth caps and whippets. The conversation stopped the moment we opened
the door and did not resume until we left. Such friendly people. ( I
lied about the cloth caps.)

I went to get my seed potatoes yesterday at a local store - they had
sold out of first earlies! Planting day, according to my grandfather,
should be Good Friday.."The better the day, the better the deed, boy."
It's well over sixty years since he told me that and I still do it.
Old 18-02-2009, 05:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Feb 18, 2:18*pm, Martin wrote:

I went to get my seed potatoes yesterday at a local store - they had
sold out of first earlies! Planting day, according to my grandfather,
should be Good Friday.."The better the day, the better the deed, boy."
It's well over sixty years since he told me that and I still do it.

The date of Good Friday varies by six weeks.

How clever of you to notice, Martin. I knew somebody would make that
comment. Grandad's answer to this was that it was a "natural
phenomenon" that mere mortals were not smart enough to figure out.
Something to do with phases of the moon. (Not that he was the sort of
man you would argue with, very large with 14 children who were
terrified of him.) Anyway stick with the country way an' you will be
all right,boy!
Personally I blame those God-bothering christians!