Old 28-02-2009, 06:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default meconopsis cambrica

I am new to this group but being from just ouside Vancouver, our weather is
very similar to southern UK. I have tried to grow this plant from seed last
year by direct sowing but nothing germinated. Does anyone have any hints on
how to be successful with this lovely plant? I have a lot of shade and
believe this would be excellent in that situation. Clarissa

Old 28-02-2009, 06:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Clarissa wrote ...
I am new to this group but being from just ouside Vancouver, our weather is
very similar to southern UK. I have tried to grow this plant from seed
last year by direct sowing but nothing germinated. Does anyone have any
hints on how to be successful with this lovely plant? I have a lot of
shade and believe this would be excellent in that situation.

Sorry, but I just sprinkled the seed on our garden years ago and it came up
and has done so every year since. Perhaps you are trying too hard.
I think it needs light to germinate so if you are covering the seed perhaps
that's the problem.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 28-02-2009, 07:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Bob Hobden
writes

Clarissa wrote ...
I am new to this group but being from just ouside Vancouver, our weather is
very similar to southern UK. I have tried to grow this plant from seed
last year by direct sowing but nothing germinated. Does anyone have any
hints on how to be successful with this lovely plant? I have a lot of
shade and believe this would be excellent in that situation.

Sorry, but I just sprinkled the seed on our garden years ago and it came up
and has done so every year since. Perhaps you are trying too hard.
I think it needs light to germinate so if you are covering the seed perhaps
that's the problem.

If I recall correctly it helps to sow the seed fresh. Once you have it
established it will sow itself around.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 28-02-2009, 08:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In message , Bob Hobden
writes

Clarissa wrote ...
I am new to this group but being from just ouside Vancouver, our
weather is very similar to southern UK. I have tried to grow this
plant from seed last year by direct sowing but nothing germinated. Does
anyone have any hints on how to be successful with this lovely
plant? I have a lot of shade and believe this would be excellent in
that situation.

Sorry, but I just sprinkled the seed on our garden years ago and it came
up and has done so every year since. Perhaps you are trying too hard.
I think it needs light to germinate so if you are covering the seed
perhaps that's the problem.

If I recall correctly it helps to sow the seed fresh. Once you have it
established it will sow itself around.

And around, and around...

The flora plena version is much more interesting and is well-behaved.

--
Jeff

Old 28-02-2009, 09:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod Rod is offline

On 28 Feb, 18:00, "jeang" wrote:
I am new to this group but being from just ouside Vancouver, our weather is
very similar to southern UK. *I have tried to grow this plant from seed last
year by direct sowing but nothing germinated. *Does anyone have any hints on
how to *be successful with this lovely plant? *I have a lot of shade and
believe this would be excellent in that situation. *Clarissa

Fresh seed as with all meconopsis but it likes to grow where it likes
to grow, and once you've got it you'll never be without it. I love
plants like that.

Old 28-02-2009, 10:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/2/09 20:42, in article , "Jeff Layman"
wrote:

[...]

Perhaps we like bad behaviour but one of the things we like about this
charming plant is that there is one in flower somewhere in the garden almost
every day of the year. I do hope Clarissa gets it to work for her.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 28-02-2009, 10:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Bob Hobden
writes

Clarissa wrote ...
[...]

For whatever reason, I've only got part of this thread. Nevertheless, I
would say to Clarissa try again. My first attempt with Meconopsis cambrica
failed; my second attempt was gloriously successful and I'm still enjoying
it. Each time I tried I used bought seed, not fresh; each time I left the
seed uncovered. I did nothing different the second time round, but I'm
really glad I didn't give up.

Spider