Old 25-03-2009, 02:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default meconopsis cambrica

can anyone give me advice on how to grow this from seed? I tried just
direct seeding outside in May (in both semi-shade and semi-sun) when it was
part the frost date where I live and not even a peep of green leaf anywhere.
Thanks for any help Jean Delta BC - with a climate very similar to the
southern UK

Old 25-03-2009, 03:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message vCryl.19605$PH1.9328@edtnps82, jeang
writes
can anyone give me advice on how to grow this from seed? I tried just
direct seeding outside in May (in both semi-shade and semi-sun) when it
was part the frost date where I live and not even a peep of green leaf
anywhere. Thanks for any help Jean Delta BC - with a climate very
similar to the southern UK

Meconopsis cambrica germinates better from seed sown fresh. I've got a
patch of mixed Meconopsis cambrica, and at the moment something, which I
assume is Meconopsis cambrica, is coming up like cress.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 25-03-2009, 05:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 14:56:27 GMT, "jeang" wrote:

can anyone give me advice on how to grow this from seed? I tried just
direct seeding outside in May (in both semi-shade and semi-sun) when it was
part the frost date where I live and not even a peep of green leaf anywhere.
Thanks for any help Jean Delta BC - with a climate very similar to the
southern UK

I assume you know they need an acid soil, otherwise they are just a
dream. I cannot grow them but I have read that you should not let
them flower in the first year.

Pam in Bristol
Old 25-03-2009, 05:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Stewart Robert Hinsley" wrote
after jeang wrote..
can anyone give me advice on how to grow this from seed? I tried just
direct seeding outside in May (in both semi-shade and semi-sun) when it
was part the frost date where I live and not even a peep of green leaf
anywhere. Thanks for any help Jean Delta BC - with a climate very
similar to the southern UK

Meconopsis cambrica germinates better from seed sown fresh. I've got a
patch of mixed Meconopsis cambrica, and at the moment something, which I
assume is Meconopsis cambrica, is coming up like cress.

Similar here, one grew from nowhere in my Mothers garden and I collected
some seed and sprinkled it in our front garden, that was decades ago, and we
still have them seed around every year. (also happens with Verbascum chauxii
album and Geranium palmatum but has never worked for us with Foxgloves)
Fresh seed and just sprinkled on the soil seems to be the way.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 25-03-2009, 05:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 14:56:27 GMT, "jeang" wrote:

can anyone give me advice on how to grow this from seed? I tried just
direct seeding outside in May (in both semi-shade and semi-sun) when it
was
part the frost date where I live and not even a peep of green leaf
anywhere.
Thanks for any help Jean Delta BC - with a climate very similar to the
southern UK

I assume you know they need an acid soil, otherwise they are just a
dream. I cannot grow them but I have read that you should not let
them flower in the first year.

Pam in Bristol

Pam, it is the trickier blue-flowered meconopsis that needs acid soil (for
sure) and which should not flower in its first year. Although I sowed M.
cambrica in an acid bed, it is certainly self-seeding and spreading
elsewhere in my neutral clay. It can be allowed to flower at will, unlike
its relative.

Certainly sowing fresh seed is a great advantage, but I succeeded with my
second attempt using bought seed within its date. The OP should keep trying
and, if possible, cadge some fresh seed from a friend/neighbour later in the
year, just to be sure.

Spider

Old 25-03-2009, 07:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Pam Moore
writes
On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 14:56:27 GMT, "jeang" wrote:

can anyone give me advice on how to grow this from seed? I tried just
direct seeding outside in May (in both semi-shade and semi-sun) when it was
part the frost date where I live and not even a peep of green leaf anywhere.
Thanks for any help Jean Delta BC - with a climate very similar to the
southern UK

I assume you know they need an acid soil, otherwise they are just a
dream. I cannot grow them but I have read that you should not let
them flower in the first year.

Pam in Bristol

Not letting them flower in the first year applies to the several if not
most of the Himalayan species of Meconopsis (which have a tendency to
monocarpy), not to the European Meconopsis cambrica.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 26-03-2009, 10:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 17:55:57 -0000, "Spider"
wrote:

Pam, it is the trickier blue-flowered meconopsis that needs acid soil (for
sure) and which should not flower in its first year. Although I sowed M.
cambrica in an acid bed, it is certainly self-seeding and spreading
elsewhere in my neutral clay. It can be allowed to flower at will, unlike
its relative.

Sorry, I replied too quickly without reading the question properly.
I have m. cambrica, the yellow Welsh poppy growing in my garden
like a weed. They seed themselves everywhere.
Try again, Jean in BC.

Pam in Bristol
Old 26-03-2009, 02:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Pam, it is the trickier blue-flowered meconopsis that needs acid soil (for
sure) and which should not flower in its first year. Although I sowed M.
cambrica in an acid bed, it is certainly self-seeding and spreading
elsewhere in my neutral clay. It can be allowed to flower at will, unlike
its relative.

Sorry, I replied too quickly without reading the question properly.
I have m. cambrica, the yellow Welsh poppy growing in my garden
like a weed. They seed themselves everywhere.
Try again, Jean in BC.

Pam in Bristol

Hi Pam I will - and am hoping they will seed everywhere since I have mostly
shade in my garden and dream of these lovely yellow blooms among the blue
forget-me-nots . But I am reminded of the saying - be careful what you wish
for. Thanks to everyone for their help. Jean in BC

Old 26-03-2009, 07:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Pam, it is the trickier blue-flowered meconopsis that needs acid soil (for
sure) and which should not flower in its first year. Although I sowed M.
cambrica in an acid bed, it is certainly self-seeding and spreading
elsewhere in my neutral clay. It can be allowed to flower at will, unlike
its relative.

Sorry, I replied too quickly without reading the question properly.
I have m. cambrica, the yellow Welsh poppy growing in my garden
like a weed. They seed themselves everywhere.
Try again, Jean in BC.

Pam in Bristol

Hi Pam I will - and am hoping they will seed everywhere since I have mostly
shade in my garden and dream of these lovely yellow blooms among the blue
forget-me-nots . But I am reminded of the saying - be careful what you wish
for. Thanks to everyone for their help. Jean in BC

This is one of my husband's favourite plants. He reckons it's rare for
there to be a day in which one of them isn't blooming somewhere in the
garden.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com