Old 01-03-2009, 06:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Dahlias

Hi there, I have just bought some 'low growing bedding dahlias' and some
'pompom dahlias' these are just corms not actual plants. Can you tell me
when it will be ok to plant them? also they are in bags, is it safe to leave
them in there?

Thanks

Lynn

Old 01-03-2009, 07:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 1, 6:45*pm, "wanderer" wrote:
Hi there, I have just bought some 'low growing bedding dahlias' and some
'pompom dahlias' these are just corms not actual plants. Can you tell me
when it will be ok to plant them? also they are in bags, is it safe to leave
them in there?

Thanks

Lynn

Not corms but tubers. you might care to start them off in pots, it
gives them a head start.Protect from frost and slugs though.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "wanderer" contains these words:

Hi there, I have just bought some 'low growing bedding dahlias' and some
'pompom dahlias' these are just corms not actual plants. Can you tell me
when it will be ok to plant them? also they are in bags, is it safe to
leave
them in there?

They may be tender, so I'd wait until the end of April. You could always
start them off in pots, though.

And in the autumn, leave a few tubers in the ground and see what happens.

--
Rusty

dahlias...am I in trouble seepnezorf1 Gardening 2 02-06-2003 03:32 AM
Dahlias Starlord North Carolina 0 28-03-2003 02:32 PM
Dahlias Starlord Gardening 0 28-03-2003 02:32 PM
Dahlias for Spring Planting Starlord Gardening 0 20-02-2003 03:51 AM
Dahlias and Cannas at Wisley Ian Wilkins United Kingdom 0 30-09-2002 10:24 AM