Old 07-03-2009, 01:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Gardeners World moving home

From BBC Website

"Well the cat's out of the bag and I'm glad because I'm useless at keeping
secrets. We're leaving Berryfields and off to pastures new - Birmingham to
be precise where the new GW garden 'Greenacre' is fast taking shape, ready
for spring and the next series."

--
"As God once said, and I think rightly..." - Margaret Thatcher.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Martin
writes
On Sat, 7 Mar 2009 13:51:37 -0000, "BOFH" wrote:

From BBC Website

"Well the cat's out of the bag and I'm glad because I'm useless at keeping
secrets. We're leaving Berryfields and off to pastures new - Birmingham to
be precise where the new GW garden 'Greenacre' is fast taking shape, ready
for spring and the next series."

Greenacre is a slight misnomer, as a result of economies the B'ham site will be
a 25 square metre allotment including a shed.

I wish! Instead, it's a playing field: Does Birmingham have so many
playing fields that it can shed yet another? One would have thought they
could have found a redundant factory car park, or some such...

--
Klara, SE Surrey
Old 08-03-2009, 12:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"BOFH" wrote in message
From BBC Website

"Well the cat's out of the bag and I'm glad because I'm useless at keeping
secrets. We're leaving Berryfields and off to pastures new - Birmingham to
be precise where the new GW garden 'Greenacre' is fast taking shape, ready
for spring and the next series."

--
"As God once said, and I think rightly..." - Margaret Thatcher.

Convenient for Gardeners' World Live at NEC Birmingham, then.

Spider

Old 09-03-2009, 04:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Anne Welsh Jackson
writes

Isn't a playing field a 'green field' site? Aren't gardens, technically,
classed as 'brown field' sites? There probably _is_ a law against it!

Probably all in line with making the garden more 'city' friendly. So it
will have urban themes etc

Honestly why they can't leave it at Berryfields I don't know. It wasn't
thingy's own garden was it?
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 09-03-2009, 05:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Honestly why they can't leave it at Berryfields I don't know. It wasn't
thingy's own garden was it?

It means they can stop twittering on about Monty every week....not everyone
was enthralled by his approach...little bit of growmore did no one any harm
:-)

Old 10-03-2009, 08:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gardeners' World is largely filmed in a garden belonging to the programme
itself. The BBC has leased a private garden in the Midlands and, although
the owners continue to live on the property, the programme has a free hand
in the garden. Monty, Carol, Joe and Sarah have developed the garden with
help from the full-time gardening team and head gardener, Alys Fowler."

So, having leased it - and presumably improved it - they are now moving
on the pastures (or playing fields?) new. I wonder how long the lease
still had to run?

At least we know what some our licence fee is paying for.

I wonder if I can put my name on the waiting list....

Old 10-03-2009, 06:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Anne Welsh Jackson
writes

The BBC has leased a private garden in the Midlands and, although
the owners continue to live on the property, the programme has a free hand
in the garden. Monty, Carol, Joe and Sarah have developed the garden with
help from the full-time gardening team and head gardener, Alys Fowler."

So which bit of the programme was that then? i thought it was always in
the same place?

So, having leased it - and presumably improved it - they are now moving
on the pastures (or playing fields?) new. I wonder how long the lease
still had to run?

Hmmm I suspect the teenagers that might have played on the site, won't
be too happy. Why all this urge to take away any exercise areas?

Old 20-03-2009, 12:05 PM
Registered User

I've heard the new site is in Edgbaston.... something to do with the University... not sure where though... perhaps their own botanical gardens?