Old 13-03-2009, 11:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Growing ginger

Now that I'm rediscovering gardening after many years of not being
particularly bothered, I'm keen to get going. Finding myself in Tescos
looking at a box of loose ginger tubers I bought a couple of them with a
view to growing them. I only went in for bread and milk.

Is it a viable proposition?
Will they grow if I treat them nicely?
Will I get more tubers than I started with?
Will I get an attractive plant?

Your advice sought please.

mark

Old 14-03-2009, 12:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 23:14:07 -0000, "mark"
wrote:

Now that I'm rediscovering gardening after many years of not being
particularly bothered, I'm keen to get going. Finding myself in Tescos
looking at a box of loose ginger tubers I bought a couple of them with a
view to growing them. I only went in for bread and milk.

Is it a viable proposition?

Will they grow if I treat them nicely?

Will I get more tubers than I started with?

Will I get an attractive plant?

Your advice sought please.

mark

To grow well ginger needs warmth, light and humidity as in the
tropics. If you can arrange those conditions you can grow ginger. If
we have a good Summer you won't have any trouble unless the humidity
drops too low.

Old 14-03-2009, 12:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "mark" contains these words:

Now that I'm rediscovering gardening after many years of not being
particularly bothered, I'm keen to get going. Finding myself in Tescos
looking at a box of loose ginger tubers I bought a couple of them with a
view to growing them. I only went in for bread and milk.

Is it a viable proposition?

Yes, with reservations.

Will they grow if I treat them nicely?

Yes, with reservations.

Will I get more tubers than I started with?

Depends.

Will I get an attractive plant?

Rather like a cross between an iris and a reed, but with lighter green
and more folollopy leaves.

Really need a greenhouse or conservatory, plenty of water and light, and
are extremely intolerant of cold. At low (but not sub-zero) temperatures
the foliage will die back, but the rhizome will remain viable.

Zero or below, you are likely to lose the rhizomes too.

I grow them on a windowsill, and have never acquired significantly more
rhizome than I started with.

--
Rusty
Old 14-03-2009, 07:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rusty_Hinge wrote:
Rather like a cross between an iris and a reed, but with lighter green
and more folollopy leaves.

Falollopy leaves eh? Now *that* is the sort of teminology even *I* can
understand)

Old 14-03-2009, 09:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

mark wrote:
Now that I'm rediscovering gardening after many years of not being
particularly bothered, I'm keen to get going. Finding myself in Tescos
looking at a box of loose ginger tubers I bought a couple of them with a
view to growing them. I only went in for bread and milk.

Is it a viable proposition?
Will they grow if I treat them nicely?
Will I get more tubers than I started with?
Will I get an attractive plant?

Your advice sought please.

mark

I grew some in a conservatory back in the UK. The foliage never amounted
to much though and the tuber didn't get any bigger. It died over Winter.
It was an interesting experiment though.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.

Old 14-03-2009, 09:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Rusty_Hinge wrote:
The message
from "mark" contains these words:

Now that I'm rediscovering gardening after many years of not being
particularly bothered, I'm keen to get going. Finding myself in Tescos
looking at a box of loose ginger tubers I bought a couple of them with a
view to growing them. I only went in for bread and milk.

Really need a greenhouse or conservatory, plenty of water and light, and
are extremely intolerant of cold. At low (but not sub-zero) temperatures
the foliage will die back, but the rhizome will remain viable.

Even worse, they need fairly consistent warmth and humidity, so most
greenhouses and conservatories won't do.

I grow them on a windowsill, and have never acquired significantly more
rhizome than I started with.

If you get as much, you are doing well!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 14-03-2009, 10:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message ,
Rusty_Hinge wrote

I grow them on a windowsill, and have never acquired significantly more
rhizome than I started with.

I've grown them in pots outside during the summer and likewise have
ended up with approximately the same quantity as planted. However the
harvest is fresh and tastes better.

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com
Old 14-03-2009, 11:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Nick wrote after...
Rusty_Hinge wrote:

Now that I'm rediscovering gardening after many years of not being
particularly bothered, I'm keen to get going. Finding myself in Tescos
looking at a box of loose ginger tubers I bought a couple of them with a
view to growing them. I only went in for bread and milk.

Really need a greenhouse or conservatory, plenty of water and light, and
are extremely intolerant of cold. At low (but not sub-zero) temperatures
the foliage will die back, but the rhizome will remain viable.

Even worse, they need fairly consistent warmth and humidity, so most
greenhouses and conservatories won't do.

I grow them on a windowsill, and have never acquired significantly more
rhizome than I started with.

If you get as much, you are doing well!

Quite agree, think of it as an interesting plant experiment, no more than
that.
Our greenhouse is small, humid and kept warmish for my few tropical orchids
amongst others but that was not enough for Ginger to grow well.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden