Old 14-03-2009, 10:43 PM
Registered User

Default Aeonium - black (purple)

hello all,

I have a Aeonium black or purple, it has 1 trunk/stalk and one big rosette on the top. The rosette is big and heavy and the trunk is thinner nearer the base, which is prone to falling due to the heavy top.

My Aeonium Black only has one rosette and has no signs of extra stalks growing. I have had it since it was only 4 inches high, a year and a half ago, and now it is 18 inches high and I can feel it straining because of it's height and heavy top.

All this plant is doing is just growing taller and taller. With it's thin trunk, I am afraid that it won't support the top much longer. How should I resolve this problem? Do I find a deeper pot and bury the thin trunk? Or could I cut the trunk shorter and re-pot it, but then it will have no roots!!

I have re-potted this plant 2 times and noticed that this plant differs from others I have in the way that the root ball is small compared to the pot size. Is this normal?

Also what should I do to get more rosettes?

Many thanks
L Tang
Old 15-03-2009, 10:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"L.tang" wrote in message

[...]

Cut the main stem about 3" from the soil, this will cause several new shoots
to appear just below the cut. Then cut the stem of the rosette also at about
3-4", dip it in rooting compound and stick it in a pot of compost. They root
very easily. The remaining stem can also be cut into pieces and rooted.

Steve

Old 15-03-2009, 10:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

shazzbat wrote:
"L.tang" wrote in message

[...]

I'm not sure, but I think the cut pieces will only root from the bottom. It
isn't easy to tell which way is up once the stems are cut, so maybe cut a
small notch in the bottom first as a marker. In my experience, they root
easily without rooting compound.

--
Jeff

Old 16-03-2009, 02:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Jeff Layman
writes

I'm not sure, but I think the cut pieces will only root from the bottom. It
isn't easy to tell which way is up once the stems are cut, so maybe cut a
small notch in the bottom first as a marker. In my experience, they root
easily without rooting compound.

If you are cutting stalks for propagating then the usual way is to cut a
slanting cut at the top and a straight cut at the bottom.

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph