Old 15-03-2009, 12:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tilth trouble

How do you get a fine tilth?
I'm having trouble!
Dry clods on top; sticky stuff below.
Need a tilth to sow parsnips and carrots.
--
Chris
Old 15-03-2009, 02:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 15, 12:38*pm, Chris ] wrote:
How do you get a fine tilth?
I'm having trouble!
Dry clods on top; sticky stuff below.
Need a tilth to sow parsnips and carrots.
--
Chris

Pop down to Lidl and buy one of their cheap electric cultivators - it
works for me.
Old 15-03-2009, 02:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"moghouse" wrote in message
On Mar 15, 12:38 pm, Chris ] wrote:
How do you get a fine tilth?
I'm having trouble!
Dry clods on top; sticky stuff below.
Need a tilth to sow parsnips and carrots.
--
Chris

Pop down to Lidl and buy one of their cheap electric cultivators - it
works for me.

The day after a heavy downpour while the soil is beginning to drain nicely,
I find that it breaks down quite well. Bob Flowerdew would tell you not to
dig and then you don't get clods.

Old 15-03-2009, 03:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Chris wrote:
How do you get a fine tilth?
I'm having trouble!
Dry clods on top; sticky stuff below.
Need a tilth to sow parsnips and carrots.

If you cannot get a fine tilth make a vee channel about 1-1.5 deep,fill
it with seed compost and plant the seeds in that..Always works for me..

--
Regards
Ted Wager

Old 15-03-2009, 05:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message

from aquachimp contains these words:
On Mar 15, 1:38*pm, Chris ] wrote:
How do you get a fine tilth?
I'm having trouble!
Dry clods on top; sticky stuff below.
Need a tilth to sow parsnips and carrots.
--
Chris

Wha's a "clod"

If tha doon't kna, 'appen tha is?

--
Rusty
Old 15-03-2009, 05:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Chris" wrote ..
How do you get a fine tilth?
I'm having trouble!
Dry clods on top; sticky stuff below.
Need a tilth to sow parsnips and carrots.

A fine tilth, what's that then?
I garden on clay/silt and only managed to get my last allotment to a tilth
of any sort just as we all got moved off. Present plot is just as bad so
what I do with Parsnips is ...

Push a strong stick into the ground, wiggle it around to make a deep conical
hole, fill hole with old fine potting compost, plant 3 seeds on top and just
cover, only leave one seed to grow if more than one germinate.

Carrots, I plant in a square so I can fence against fly and, after sowing, I
cover the seed with old potting compost.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 15-03-2009, 07:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 15, 1:38*pm, Chris ] wrote:
How do you get a fine tilth?
I'm having trouble!
Dry clods on top; sticky stuff below.
Need a tilth to sow parsnips and carrots.
--
Chris

Wha's a "clod"

If tha doon't kna, 'appen tha is?

--
Rusty

Koud I have that e-ninglish plees
Old 20-03-2009, 09:58 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquachimp View Post

On Mar 15, 1:38*pm, Chris ] wrote:
How do you get a fine tilth?
I'm having trouble!
Dry clods on top; sticky stuff below.
Need a tilth to sow parsnips and carrots.
--
Chris

Wha's a "clod"

If tha doon't kna, 'appen tha is?

--
Rusty

Koud I have that e-ninglish plees
My father - God rest his soul - had an old border fork with the tines bent at rightangles half way along their length. To prepare a seed bed he would walk along the line of it lightly 'hoing' the soil with the fork to about 2 - 3 inches deep. As he walked forward he trod on the area he had just loosened. He then raked this surface and ended up with a beautiful tilth. It worked on clay as well. I have wondered if a rake would do the same job, but I think that the fork being heavier would penetrate the soil just a little bit deeper.

Bigal

Old 21-03-2009, 08:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 20, 10:58*pm, Bigal wrote:
aquachimp;833712 Wrote:

-
On Mar 15, 1:38*pm, Chris ] wrote:-
How do you get a fine tilth?
I'm having trouble!
Dry clods on top; sticky stuff below.
Need a tilth to sow parsnips and carrots.
--
Chris-
Wha's a "clod"-

If tha doon't kna, 'appen tha is?

--
Rusty
Direct reply to: horrid dot squeak snailything zetnet point co period
uk-

Koud I have that e-ninglish plees

My father - God rest his soul - had an old border fork with the tines
bent at rightangles half way along their length.

Such tools exist. I don't know what they're called. I just tried doing
a search to find you a photo of one, but all I managed to find is what
looks like an adjustable bow saw (which I've been looking for, but on
the abbey tools site they call it a combination saw) (least, I hope it
turns out to be what I'm looking for)

I have the fork . Well, a smaller version of the normal one which is
great for fishing out stuff from ditches and I use it as you
describe.
I'll fish it out over the weekend and take a photo to show you. Unless
someone beats me to it and posts a link to such an tool.

* To prepare a seed
bed he would walk along the line of it lightly 'hoing' the soil with
the fork to about 2 - 3 inches deep. * As he walked forward he trod on
the area he had just loosened.

Perfect. Works too for when preparing to lay a lawn too.

* He then raked this surface and ended
up with a beautiful tilth. * It worked on clay as well. * I have
wondered if a rake would do the same job, but I think that the fork
being heavier would penetrate the soil just a little bit deeper.

A stone rack does the same job. Your dad's fork just adds a dimension,
whilst loosing another in terms of lawn preparation

Bigal

--
Bigal

Old 21-03-2009, 11:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message

from aquachimp contains these words:

My father - God rest his soul - had an old border fork with the tines
bent at rightangles half way along their length.

Such tools exist. I don't know what they're called. I just tried doing
a search to find you a photo of one, but all I managed to find is what
looks like an adjustable bow saw (which I've been looking for, but on
the abbey tools site they call it a combination saw) (least, I hope it
turns out to be what I'm looking for)

The word 'grape' springs to mind.

--
Rusty
Old 21-03-2009, 12:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 21, 12:04*pm, Martin wrote:

The word 'grape' springs to mind.

grapes of wath?

Nah! Grape appeal.

Old 21-03-2009, 01:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 21, 9:22*am, aquachimp
wrote:
On Mar 20, 10:58*pm, Bigal wrote:

aquachimp;833712 Wrote: