Old 21-03-2009, 08:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Best way to kill off Ivy?

The message
from Jonathan Campbell contains these words:
Rusty_Hinge wrote:
The message
from Jonathan Campbell contains these words:
Bob Minchin wrote:

I've got a well established ivy problem growing up in a narrow crack
between two areas of concrete on my garden boundary - about 30 foot
length of the stuff. Digging up the concrete is not an option so I'm

[...]

I really can't see what glyphosate would achieve - it's only absorbed by
foliage and the green parts of plants AFAIK.

I've used it on boisterous shrubs in the manner I've described (lop the
shrub and paint neat glyphosate on the cut) and the result was death of
the complete plant.

I expect it would have died anyway, then.

I'm persisting with the advice with some confidence not just because it
has worked for me but because the method was given to me by someone who
had also used it with success. I will admit though that I have not used
it on ivy.

You can use it on conifers with complete confidence - cut them down and
they never come back...

Sodium chlorate solution would do the job, but trickled-in round the
roots. (Not too much, in case it leaches out to anywhere else fairly
close (like the other side of a fence/wall)

It is available though now has a fire-inhibitor with it. (Boo! Hiss!)

Ah yes. Banned in the island of Ireland since the late 1960s. Given our
abuse of it as seven or eight year olds (when, on the farm, we had what
seemed like hundredweight drums of it --- for killing seed potato
plants) I'm probably lucky to be alive and to still have ten digits and
two eyes.

Indeed. I used to buy it from our local florist - coarse stuff, for 1/6d
a pound (that's approximately 15p/Kilogram) and I still have all my
extremities, features, etc.

--
Rusty
Old 21-03-2009, 09:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jonathan Campbell wrote:
Pete C wrote:
Jonathan Campbell wrote:
Jeff Layman wrote:
Jonathan Campbell wrote:
Bob Minchin wrote:

[...]

Jon C.

Don't kill Bluebells! When they die back later this year, dig them
up......I'm sure someone here would take them off your hands.

Yes, gave away a full carrier bag full a month ago. Plenty more where
they came from.

Infestation indeed..................mutter...........mutter... .....

I thought I had removed all the bulbs when preparing the ground for
the raspberries; no fear!

Given the way they seem to spread in my garden, I think infestation
may be the appropriate term.

Jon C.

I'm in a similar situation. Dug up what I thought were all bulbs and passed
them on. That was two years ago.........I've now got more that I started
with..........but they are beautiful!
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 24-03-2009, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Pete C
writes

Don't kill Bluebells! When they die back later this year, dig them
up......I'm sure someone here would take them off your hands.
Infestation indeed..................mutter...........mutter... .....

If they're the Spanish lot they are ............

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Ivy, Ivy & more ivy Roger Tonkin[_2_] United Kingdom 6 08-07-2016 09:48 PM
Best Way To Get Rid Of Ivy Matt Smith United Kingdom 6 13-12-2011 01:51 AM
IVY IVY IVY JCYates United Kingdom 15 28-08-2008 11:22 AM
What's the best way to permanently remove ivy ? woodglass[_2_] United Kingdom 7 15-08-2008 01:34 AM
best way to kill golden cane palm? rapdor Australia 2 20-04-2003 01:44 PM