Old 21-03-2009, 10:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Best way to kill off Ivy?

I've got a well established ivy problem growing up in a narrow crack
between two areas of concrete on my garden boundary - about 30 foot
length of the stuff. Digging up the concrete is not an option so I'm
looking for the most effect chemical warfare to apply for a permanent
solution. There is nothing growing nearby for many feet nor do we want
to grow anything there in the near future.
Stems are 2-3cm diameter so I could drill holes in and feed a chemical
in perhaps?
Any suggestions please?

TIA

Bob
Old 21-03-2009, 10:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Minchin" wrote in message
I've got a well established ivy problem growing up in a narrow crack
between two areas of concrete on my garden boundary - about 30 foot length
of the stuff. Digging up the concrete is not an option so I'm looking for
the most effect chemical warfare to apply for a permanent solution. There
is nothing growing nearby for many feet nor do we want to grow anything
there in the near future.
Stems are 2-3cm diameter so I could drill holes in and feed a chemical in
perhaps?
Any suggestions please?

I have defeated mass ivy growing on our dry stone walls. I simply cut it all
off, then went back and plucked any new growth about once a month, its now
given up trying. No chemicals used but I did hammer some copper nails into
the few thick trunks I was unable to remove.

Mike

Old 21-03-2009, 11:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Minchin wrote:
I've got a well established ivy problem growing up in a narrow crack
between two areas of concrete on my garden boundary - about 30 foot
length of the stuff. Digging up the concrete is not an option so I'm
looking for the most effect chemical warfare to apply for a permanent
solution. There is nothing growing nearby for many feet nor do we want
to grow anything there in the near future.
Stems are 2-3cm diameter so I could drill holes in and feed a chemical
in perhaps?
Any suggestions please?

I haven't an exact picture of your situation, but that doesn't matter.

Can you cut the main trunk(s) somewhere; as close to the ground as
possible. Apply undiluted glyphosate (Roundup) to the lower cut (I'm
finding it hard to get the correct terminology) using a paintbrush or
dab it on with a sponge or cloth. If you cannot get undiluted glyphosate
(try agricultural suppliers), then maybe someone can suggest an
alternative like a brushwood killer.

Unless ivy is different from trees and shrubs of my experience, that's
the last you will ever see of growth from that root.

If drilling is easier, then application via drilled holes should be
equally effective.

Glyphosate claims to damage only the plant -- by stopping its roots from
extracting nutrients from the earth.

Best regards,

Jon C.
Old 21-03-2009, 12:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jonathan Campbell wrote:
Bob Minchin wrote:
[...]

The best way to apply glyphosate is when the leaves are ON the plant, as it
is absorbed through the leaves. After spraying, leave for a few days and
then cut the whole plant down. Any new shoots will soon become blotched and
die, but if any escape just spray the new leaves with more glyphosate.

Unless ivy is different from trees and shrubs of my experience, that's
the last you will ever see of growth from that root.

If drilling is easier, then application via drilled holes should be
equally effective.

Glyphosate claims to damage only the plant -- by stopping its roots from
extracting nutrients from the earth.

No it doesn't. Glyphosate inhibits an enzyme, leading to depletion of key
amino acids that are necessary for protein synthesis and plant growth.

--
Jeff

Old 21-03-2009, 03:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jeff Layman wrote:
Jonathan Campbell wrote:
Bob Minchin wrote:
I've got a well established ivy problem growing up in a narrow crack
between two areas of concrete on my garden boundary - about 30 foot
length of the stuff. Digging up the concrete is not an option so I'm
looking for the most effect chemical warfare to apply for a permanent

[...]

Can you cut the main trunk(s) somewhere; as close to the ground as
possible. Apply undiluted glyphosate (Roundup) to the lower cut (I'm
finding it hard to get the correct terminology) using a paintbrush or
dab it on with a sponge or cloth. If you cannot get undiluted glyphosate
(try agricultural suppliers), then maybe someone can suggest an
alternative like a brushwood killer.

The best way to apply glyphosate is when the leaves are ON the plant, as it
is absorbed through the leaves. After spraying, leave for a few days and
then cut the whole plant down. Any new shoots will soon become blotched and

The leaves die only after the roots have become ineffective.

die, but if any escape just spray the new leaves with more glyphosate.

Not for ivy, I'm pretty certain. Just casually, while spraying weeds, I
have sprayed ivy --- no effect was ever evident.

Unless ivy is different from trees and shrubs of my experience, that's
the last you will ever see of growth from that root.

If drilling is easier, then application via drilled holes should be
equally effective.

Glyphosate claims to damage only the plant -- by stopping its roots from
extracting nutrients from the earth.

No it doesn't. Glyphosate inhibits an enzyme, leading to depletion of key
amino acids that are necessary for protein synthesis and plant growth.

I don't know the exact details of the kill process, but I'll stick with
the advice to apply neat glyphosate to a large cut wound.

Incidentally, I've just attempted to use a strongish mixture of
glyphosate on an infestation of bluebells that occupy a border where
I've planted raspberries. An opinion, in an article somewhere on the
internet, was that the bluebell leaves are waxy or oily and would not
absorb the chemical properly; the advice (summarised) was to cut or
wound the leaves by twisting before application.

Best regards,

Jon C.

Old 21-03-2009, 03:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jonathan Campbell wrote:
Jeff Layman wrote:
Jonathan Campbell wrote:
Bob Minchin wrote:

snippy

Incidentally, I've just attempted to use a strongish mixture of
glyphosate on an infestation of bluebells that occupy a border where
I've planted raspberries. An opinion, in an article somewhere on the
internet, was that the bluebell leaves are waxy or oily and would not
absorb the chemical properly; the advice (summarised) was to cut or
wound the leaves by twisting before application.

Best regards,

Jon C.

Don't kill Bluebells! When they die back later this year, dig them
up......I'm sure someone here would take them off your hands.
Infestation indeed..................mutter...........mutter... .....
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 21-03-2009, 04:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Jonathan Campbell contains these words:
Bob Minchin wrote:

[...]

I really can't see what glyphosate would achieve - it's only absorbed by
foliage and the green parts of plants AFAIK.

Sodium chlorate solution would do the job, but trickled-in round the
roots. (Not too much, in case it leaches out to anywhere else fairly
close (like the other side of a fence/wall)

It is available though now has a fire-inhibitor with it. (Boo! Hiss!)

--
Rusty
Old 21-03-2009, 04:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Jeff Layman" contains these words:
Jonathan Campbell wrote:
Bob Minchin wrote:
[...]

In order to get ivy to take-up glyphosate (or anything else!) you'll
need to thoroughly bruise the leaves, and then spray with glyphosate and
a lot of detergent - washing-up liquid is OK, but avoid the really cheap
ones - they are 'supplemented' with a thickening agent, and are not very
good for anything at all. (especially washing-up!)

--
Rusty
Old 21-03-2009, 04:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 15:48:06 -0000, Pete C wrote:

Don't kill Bluebells! When they die back later this year, dig them
up......I'm sure someone here would take them off your hands.
Infestation indeed..................mutter...........mutter... .....

Spanish or English Bluebells? Infestation is correct for the former IMHO.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 21-03-2009, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jeff Layman wrote:
Jonathan Campbell wrote:
Bob Minchin wrote:

[...]

Not if you've cut them down, they don't!

die, but if any escape just spray the new leaves with more glyphosate.

Not for ivy, I'm pretty certain. Just casually, while spraying weeds, I
have sprayed ivy --- no effect was ever evident.

You have to use detergent - ivy leaves take a lot of wetting, and the
best way to speed things up is to bruise/cut/slash them with a thin
cane.

Unless ivy is different from trees and shrubs of my experience, that's
the last you will ever see of growth from that root.

If drilling is easier, then application via drilled holes should be
equally effective.

Glyphosate claims to damage only the plant -- by stopping its roots from
extracting nutrients from the earth.

No it doesn't. Glyphosate inhibits an enzyme, leading to depletion
of key
amino acids that are necessary for protein synthesis and plant growth.

I don't know the exact details of the kill process, but I'll stick with
the advice to apply neat glyphosate to a large cut wound.

Which, IMO, will have no effect - or very little. Any flow of sap at a
cut stem will be upwards - there's no photosynthesis taking place and no
'head' of sap for a return flow.

Incidentally, I've just attempted to use a strongish mixture of
glyphosate on an infestation of bluebells that occupy a border where
I've planted raspberries. An opinion, in an article somewhere on the
internet, was that the bluebell leaves are waxy or oily and would not
absorb the chemical properly; the advice (summarised) was to cut or
wound the leaves by twisting before application.

I do hope the bluebells were of the Spanish variety, and not the
indigenous non-scripta?

--
Rusty

Old 21-03-2009, 04:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Pete C" contains these words:

Don't kill Bluebells! When they die back later this year, dig them
up......I'm sure someone here would take them off your hands.
Infestation indeed..................mutter...........mutter... .....

Prolly too late - however, as with snowdrops, I believe they're best
transplanted in the green.

--
Rusty
Old 21-03-2009, 05:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Minchin" wrote
I've got a well established ivy problem growing up in a narrow crack
between two areas of concrete on my garden boundary - about 30 foot length
of the stuff. Digging up the concrete is not an option so I'm looking for
the most effect chemical warfare to apply for a permanent solution. There
is nothing growing nearby for many feet nor do we want to grow anything
there in the near future.
Stems are 2-3cm diameter so I could drill holes in and feed a chemical in
perhaps?
Any suggestions please?

I've got rid of a very large ivy just a year or so ago and, as it is a plant
that will not come back from the roots, as long as you can cut it below
ground you should have rid of it. If you do get any regrowth then just cut
that off and eventually after one season it will be gone. No chemicals
needed.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 21-03-2009, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Minchin wrote:

I've got a well established ivy problem growing up in a narrow crack
between two areas of concrete on my garden boundary - about 30 foot
length of the stuff. Digging up the concrete is not an option so I'm

[...]

I really can't see what glyphosate would achieve - it's only absorbed by
foliage and the green parts of plants AFAIK.

I've used it on boisterous shrubs in the manner I've described (lop the
shrub and paint neat glyphosate on the cut) and the result was death of
the complete plant.

I'm persisting with the advice with some confidence not just because it
has worked for me but because the method was given to me by someone who
had also used it with success. I will admit though that I have not used
it on ivy.

Sodium chlorate solution would do the job, but trickled-in round the
roots. (Not too much, in case it leaches out to anywhere else fairly
close (like the other side of a fence/wall)

It is available though now has a fire-inhibitor with it. (Boo! Hiss!)

Ah yes. Banned in the island of Ireland since the late 1960s. Given our
abuse of it as seven or eight year olds (when, on the farm, we had what
seemed like hundredweight drums of it --- for killing seed potato
plants) I'm probably lucky to be alive and to still have ten digits and
two eyes.

Best regards,

Jon C.
Old 21-03-2009, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Pete C wrote:
Jonathan Campbell wrote:
Jeff Layman wrote:
Jonathan Campbell wrote:
Bob Minchin wrote:

[...]

Jon C.

Don't kill Bluebells! When they die back later this year, dig them
up......I'm sure someone here would take them off your hands.

Yes, gave away a full carrier bag full a month ago. Plenty more where
they came from.

Infestation indeed..................mutter...........mutter... .....

I thought I had removed all the bulbs when preparing the ground for the
raspberries; no fear!

Given the way they seem to spread in my garden, I think infestation may
be the appropriate term.

Jon C.

Ivy, Ivy & more ivy Roger Tonkin[_2_] United Kingdom 6 08-07-2016 09:48 PM
Best Way To Get Rid Of Ivy Matt Smith United Kingdom 6 13-12-2011 01:51 AM
IVY IVY IVY JCYates United Kingdom 15 28-08-2008 11:22 AM
What's the best way to permanently remove ivy ? woodglass[_2_] United Kingdom 7 15-08-2008 01:34 AM
best way to kill golden cane palm? rapdor Australia 2 20-04-2003 01:44 PM