Old 30-03-2009, 07:08 PM
Registered User

Default digging hoes

All of my life I have used the standard digging tools in my garden, but recently a Maltese friend introduced me to a triangular digging hoe which he had brought from Malta and showed me how easy it was to use. It made me wonder why we continue to use standard tools which have always given me backache. He didn't know of anyone in this country that sold them and promised to get one sent to me from Malta.
I started hunting to see if I could find someone who did, and found two suppliers."get digging" and "Chillington tools". Chillington actually manufacture them and export them all over the world but do not supply retailers in this country. Get Digging import them.
For the first time in my life I have managed to dig my garden without getting backache and what I couldn't believe was that it was actually quicker.
Is there anyone out there who can confirm what it has taken me a lifetime to discover, and if so, why didn't you tell someone earlier.

Bigal
Old 30-03-2009, 09:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bigal wrote:
[...]

You talking about the Azada? (Get Digging version, imported from Spain)
If so, I have one and it's a great versatile tool.
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 30-03-2009, 09:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Pete C wrote:
You talking about the Azada? (Get Digging version, imported from Spain)
If so, I have one and it's a great versatile tool.

Pop into your local hardware store and ask "Got any O's?" ;-)

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 30-03-2009, 11:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 30 Mar 2009 19:08:40 +0100, Bigal
wrote:

[...]

Picture please, Bigal.

Pam in Bristol
Old 30-03-2009, 11:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David in Normandy" wrote in message
Pete C wrote:
You talking about the Azada? (Get Digging version, imported from Spain)
If so, I have one and it's a great versatile tool.

Pop into your local hardware store and ask "Got any O's?" ;-)

....and make sure you don't get the ones with fork 'andles

mark

Old 30-03-2009, 11:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bigal" wrote in message

[...]

I have a couple of these in different sizes, and a thing called a canterbury
fork, which is the old answer to the claw things you can get in garden
centres.

The firm that make them are in the West Midlands!

http://www.chillington.co.uk/

John

Old 30-03-2009, 11:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bigal

You talking about the Azada? (Get Digging version, imported from Spain)
If so, I have one and it's a great versatile tool.
--

Showing he

http://www.get-digging.co.uk/tools.htm

mark

Old 30-03-2009, 11:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , mark
writes

Bigal

You talking about the Azada? (Get Digging version, imported from Spain)
If so, I have one and it's a great versatile tool.
--

Showing he

http://www.get-digging.co.uk/tools.htm

mark

Load of Billhooks, if you ask me.

I use one of those things with four prongs on the bottom of a 3ft shaft,
and a horizontal bar at the top to turn it.
Like a standpipe key. Wossit called?
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 31-03-2009, 10:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 30 Mar, 23:35, Gordon H
wrote:
In message , mark
writes

Bigal
You talking about the Azada? (Get Digging version, imported from Spain)
If so, I have one and it's a great versatile tool.
--

Showing he

http://www.get-digging.co.uk/tools.htm

mark

Load of Billhooks, if you ask me.

I use one of those things with four prongs on the bottom of a 3ft shaft,
and a horizontal bar at the top to turn it.
Like a standpipe key. * * *Wossit called?
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply

I've seen them used to mix concrete in Spain and it looks a great
idea, I've brought a smaller one back from Malta, where it is cheaper
than buying them in the UK.though I'd hate to dig an area with one.
David Hill
Old 31-03-2009, 05:16 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon H[_3_] View Post

I use one of those things with four prongs on the bottom of a 3ft shaft,
and a horizontal bar at the top to turn it.
Like a standpipe key. Wossit called?
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
There are two - one is the Garden Claw {TM} ; there is a cheaper version available through the mail order catalogues.

Old 31-03-2009, 08:31 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by beccabunga View Post
There are two - one is the Garden Claw {TM} ; there is a cheaper version available through the mail order catalogues.
Thanks for your comments, it's nice to know that some people are using them. I'm pushing the top a bit with a bit a a ticker problem. I bought a few from Chillington having read some of the comments on 'get digging'. They were cheaper although a smaller range for the home market. But if they hadn't been available there I reckon they would have been worth the extra from elsewhere.

Bigal
Old 01-04-2009, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
,
Dave Hill writes
On 30 Mar, 23:35, Gordon H
wrote:

I use one of those things with four prongs on the bottom of a 3ft shaft,
and a horizontal bar at the top to turn it.
Like a standpipe key. * * *Wossit called?
--
Gordon H

I've seen them used to mix concrete in Spain and it looks a great
idea, I've brought a smaller one back from Malta, where it is cheaper
than buying them in the UK.though I'd hate to dig an area with one.
David Hill

I have a small garden, and find it ideal for loosening the top 6" or so
of soil. I don't do deep digging any more at my advanced age. :-)
It would be a bit tedious to use the tool for a large area, as you say.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 01-04-2009, 10:46 PM
Registered User

These tools are actually used all over the world as a major digging tool. Chillington tools export them all over the world. Using the right hoe you can dig quite deep. Tell me, what is more tedious than using a spade and getting back ache when digging a large area? Digging with them really is a lot quicker. I bought a large one for my son who is bigger and stronger than me but has a bad back. He has used it for several hours today without any backache.

Bigal

Weeds V Hoes David Hill United Kingdom 15 19-08-2012 01:12 PM
Great Garden Hoes D Kutzley Gardening 1 14-12-2011 11:39 PM
Pond Digging 101 BenignVanilla Ponds 13 26-03-2003 09:44 PM
digging dog Alan Holmes Edible Gardening 0 23-01-2003 10:56 PM